Ruffkin Knee armor progess.

cal196

Well-Known Hunter
I had trouble with these, I just couldnt get the color right, they where orange then I took another look at the photo and the ROTJ ones are a darker yellow like the shoulders so My Dad mixed up this paint from a sample picture from the MoM exhibit

I think I will leave them alone now, not perfect but alot better than it was.

I think all you need is a black paint wash and its there ! Seeker showed me this over the weekend and it brings it down a shade...combined with some splatter effect you're all set ! looks great btw

:) looks good, maybe a little 2 clean. what I use to dirty up my armor and helmet etc is you take some alcyd based paint (although i think it would work with any paint) and ( * i dont know if this is an english word aswell) you put some TERPENTINE* on a blanket and you rub that through the colour of dirt (grey or cark green or dark blue or simple black) and you rub it on ur piece, keep rubbin'it untill you achieve the level of "dirtiness"you prefer.

or you just spray some of those colours over it again from a large distance, creates great misting aswell, after that i always bring up the silver parts again, that way you have 2 colours of silver, one dulled, one bright, makes for some great beat up and worn weathered look. :cheers keep up this kinda stuff.

could you PM me on where you got these knees and what you payed for em etc, I still need knee pads, goin to do some dummys of cheapo plexi-glas, but atleast I'll have soemthin around my knees that way.

I always mix teh colours and just paint em on, never air brush or anything, simply because i can't afford a descent air brush kit.

but heres what I did with my shoulder bell, wich i believe is teh same colour as teh knee padd, anyways

see teh green like areas? thats done with teh blanket and stuff, the overall dirty look is done with spraying black on it from a distance (don't mind the freaky symbol, it's also hand painted on)

hope it'll do ou some good.

shoulder dirt.jpg

cal196 said:
How do you go about the blackwash process?

Get some black acrylic paint (water based) and water it down real good. paint a thin layer and wait a few minutes and then take a peice of cloth and rub it off.

repeat if necissary..

atleast that is what i've heard..

:) that's what i ment, except i never use water based paint... i mean my fett is sofar waterproof.... not that id take it on swimming or anything, but the climat here is worse than in the UK... does that say enough?:p

Looking at the reference material I have the MoM knee are broken -from rough handling- but not much misting is on them.

I think once the black wash is done they'll be dead on. Also, if you have a Dual-action airbrush you don't actually get splatters, it's more like a very fine mist (think of all the airbrush work that you have seen where the color fades perfectly).

R_boba_fett said:
:) that's what i ment, except i never use water based paint... i mean my fett is sofar waterproof.... not that id take it on swimming or anything, but the climat here is worse than in the UK... does that say enough?:p

Acrylic paints usually hardens upp pretty good after it has dried for a few days. You can always put on an additional layer of waterbased varnish or sealing wax. That usually hardens upp pretty good as well..
and why water based you ask..? so you can sleep better at night after cleansing the brushes in the sink.. ;)

:lol: hmmm that does sound great... not gettin high after a paint job or a terrible headache sounds good.

hm, bout the misting on mom, i think if you go and see brak's pics, you'll find that tehre is immense misting, but the fading ones indeed, not splatters

Boba Swede said:
Get some black acrylic paint (water based) and water it down real good. paint a thin layer and wait a few minutes and then take a peice of cloth and rub it off.

repeat if necissary..

atleast that is what i've heard..

That is pretty close. There are a couple techniques you can use to black wash. That is the first way. It will leave black in any cracks and crevices. Another technique is to brush on the wash and let it dry. This will give it an even dirtier look. Both can produce great results.

:cheers great, looks great!

we all keep whining to what we did and want to do, but in the end when you look at a set of fett armor made by a single person, it just looks great!

personally i'd make em much dirtier, like what you did with the (on the pic left) left shoulder bell, but that's my taste, i think most people would say urs look excellent and screen acc.

This thread is more than 19 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back