Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
    1 Week Ago - May 18, 2017, 7:46 AM - Silver #11 Question #1

Hey guys quick question. I put the layers of Humbrol silver 11 down and it seems kind of matte to me. Am I suppose to wet sand with steel wool or something to bring out a little shine or is that how it is suppose to be? I duno but I feel like in your guys pics the silver layer looks more reflective and foil like. Thanks in advance.

2. Become a member for 90 days and create 50 posts and you won't see these ads.Register now!
    1 Week Ago - May 18, 2017, 8:30 AM - Re: Silver #11 Question #2

Quote thinbluefett said: View Post
    Hey guys quick question. I put the layers of Humbrol silver 11 down and it seems kind of matte to me. Am I suppose to wet sand with steel wool or something to bring out a little shine or is that how it is suppose to be? I duno but I feel like in your guys pics the silver layer looks more reflective and foil like. Thanks in advance.
    I am using floquil bright silver which does shine a bunch when applied. But I just laid down a dull coat to protect the back panels while I continue onto the dome and it really subdued the shine. Unless I'm using the wrong type of clear coat I think that the silver will eventually become matted anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1 Week Ago - May 18, 2017, 10:59 AM - Re: Silver #11 Question #3

It's pretty normal, it's not too realistic of a metallic paint, which is good because the original prop's isn't too good either.
    It's why cold cast helmets often look a little weird, because their metallics are too shiney and real.

Only the real metal parts like the borden and ears should have a realistic metal shine to em. Rest just that sorta dull slightly-reflective aluminum look that Silver 11 gives.

That said if it's coming out super dull, could be a thinning or humidity issue making your layers come out a little grainy. Micro textures like that will naturally create a more matted appearance. If that is the case you can try steel wolling it a little to smooth it out and re-layering. But I wouldn't fret to much about it, as said, it's supposed to be a weak effect, and yeah, any un-masked clear coat will kill it completely anyway.
    Last edited by Grimstuff; 1 Week Ago at 11:04 AM.
  5. 1 Week Ago - May 18, 2017, 12:23 PM - Re: Silver #11 Question #4

Humbrol No.11 has changed in recent years and has become less metallic. You need to mix it with some Humbrol metalcote to get the right finish, using metalcote on its own isn't an option as subsequent layers will peel off, probably. Let me just check the mix and paint numbers...

- - - Updated - - -

Silver: 27002+11 (2:1)

This is the mix to get the correct metallic sheen...
    1 Week Ago - May 18, 2017, 12:26 PM - Re: Silver #11 Question #5

Quote Wardog2a said: View Post
    I am using floquil bright silver which does shine a bunch when applied. But I just laid down a dull coat to protect the back panels while I continue onto the dome and it really subdued the shine. Unless I'm using the wrong type of clear coat I think that the silver will eventually become matted anyway.

Floquil would only have been making three silvery colours in the necessary timeframe and bright silver was one. It was the one preferred by Lee Malone when he made his list. The other two were old silver and platinum mist if I recall correctly.
  7. 1 Week Ago - May 18, 2017, 12:44 PM - Re: Silver #11 Question #6

I have a strong dislike for Humbrol 11. I used Testor's Steel for my bucket, I like it much more. It's a far more realistic looking metallic color. Bare metal shouldn't be shiney, most metals and alloys oxidize very quickly. I think the testor's steel I'd a very accurate representation. Whether or not it's screen accurate, I can't say, but I like how it looks.
    1 Week Ago - May 18, 2017, 4:39 PM - Re: Silver #11 Question #7

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Grimstuff said: View Post
    It's pretty normal, it's not too realistic of a metallic paint, which is good because the original prop's isn't too good either.
    It's why cold cast helmets often look a little weird, because their metallics are too shiney and real.

Only the real metal parts like the borden and ears should have a realistic metal shine to em. Rest just that sorta dull slightly-reflective aluminum look that Silver 11 gives.

That said if it's coming out super dull, could be a thinning or humidity issue making your layers come out a little grainy. Micro textures like that will naturally create a more matted appearance. If that is the case you can try steel wolling it a little to smooth it out and re-layering. But I wouldn't fret to much about it, as said, it's supposed to be a weak effect, and yeah, any un-masked clear coat will kill it completely anyway.
    thanks, kind of hoping after sanding, weathering and a light black overspray is applied it'll look good. Weather here has been a little all over the place, I was wondering if it could have been that too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote terminal fettler said: View Post
    Humbrol No.11 has changed in recent years and has become less metallic. You need to mix it with some Humbrol metalcote to get the right finish, using metalcote on its own isn't an option as subsequent layers will peel off, probably. Let me just check the mix and paint numbers...

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks I'm gonna look for some and try it. Why haven't more people mention that in their builds? seems important!
    1 Week Ago - May 18, 2017, 4:48 PM - Re: Silver #11 Question #8

Yeah I ditched #11 a while ago. I go too frustrated with it. Just not good.
    1 Week Ago - May 18, 2017, 5:29 PM - Re: Silver #11 Question #9

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170518_182741.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	109128
    Observe
  11. 1 Week Ago - May 18, 2017, 6:42 PM - Re: Silver #11 Question #10

That's almost textured looking. Is the pain drying before it's hitting the helmet?
    1 Week Ago - May 18, 2017, 6:50 PM - Re: Silver #11 Question #11

Quote the_man_with_the_ee3 said: View Post
    That's almost textured looking. Is the pain drying before it's hitting the helmet?
    No def not, there is a slight glittery look to it that i think you are seeing. However I have a few droplets here and there i gotta sand from a little too much pressure from the airbrush
    1 Week Ago - May 18, 2017, 10:50 PM - Re: Silver #11 Question #12

If that pic is accurate to how it looks in person, then ya... that's pretty darn flat.
    My batch which I bought about 6 months ago is a pretty crap metallic, but it still at least gives a dull aluminum look.. Yours looks almost stoneish.

Name:	IMG_20170331_203734.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	109129

Name:	IMG_20170405_025215.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	759.6 KB 
ID:	109130

I guess see if the steel wooling/recoating helps any, if not, then yeah, might be worth considering a mix or alternative if you want some better accuracy.
    Last edited by Grimstuff; 1 Week Ago at 1:17 AM.
    1 Week Ago - May 18, 2017, 11:56 PM - Re: Silver #11 Question #13

Name:	20170518_182741.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	109128
    Observe
    That is exactly how it always turned out for me. For a while I thought I was doing something wrong. Then just said screw and went another direction.
    1 Week Ago - May 19, 2017, 1:16 AM - Re: Silver #11 Question #14

Quote Grimstuff said: View Post
    If that pic is accurate to how it looks in person, then ya... that's pretty darn flat.
    My batch which I bought about 6 months ago is a pretty crap metallic, but it still at least gives a dull aluminum look.. Yours looks almost stoneish.

Name:	IMG_20170331_203734.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	109129
    http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/attac...792178&thumb=1

I guess see if the steel wooling/recoating helps any, if not, then yeah, might be worth considering a mix or alternative if you want some better accuracy.
    Damn, was afraid of this but glad I asked. Thanks. And yeah i think stonish is the perfect word for this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Furious said: View Post
    That is exactly how it always turned out for me. For a while I thought I was doing something wrong. Then just said screw and went another direction.
    Yeah im pretty frustrated. What are you using?
    1 Week Ago - May 19, 2017, 1:24 AM - Re: Silver #11 Question #15

Quote terminal fettler said: View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Think im only finding this stuff in the spray can, how do you mix it with the 11 two to one?
    1 Week Ago - May 19, 2017, 12:29 PM - Re: Silver #11 Question #16

try megahobby.com. I get all of my humbrols from there, they should have them both.

Like TF said, the humbrol formula was changed fairly recently and it just doesnt look the same anymore. For my silver coat on the helmets i actually use a rattlecan. Krylon Bright silver. I think it gives the right look and is easy. I also never have any issue with it under the rest of the humbrols. Like was mentioned before, the dullcoate over it knocks the sheen back a little bit as well.

EDIT: i just checked, they carry the metalcote, but its out of stock :/
    6 Days Ago - May 19, 2017, 4:16 PM - Re: Silver #11 Question #17

Quote Darth Voorhees said: View Post
    try megahobby.com. I get all of my humbrols from there, they should have them both.

Like TF said, the humbrol formula was changed fairly recently and it just doesnt look the same anymore. For my silver coat on the helmets i actually use a rattlecan. Krylon Bright silver. I think it gives the right look and is easy. I also never have any issue with it under the rest of the humbrols. Like was mentioned before, the dullcoate over it knocks the sheen back a little bit as well.

EDIT: i just checked, they carry the metalcote, but its out of stock :/
    Jeez, so many options. First color down and its already getting complicated lol. I like the idea of something quick and easy now especially after days of applying this no good silver
  19. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    6 Days Ago - May 19, 2017, 4:34 PM - Re: Silver #11 Question #18

model masters silver acrylic
    6 Days Ago - May 19, 2017, 8:04 PM - Re: Silver #11 Question #19

Quote Fett 4 Real said: View Post
    model masters silver acrylic
    thx! appreciate the input! already on order!
    Last edited by thinbluefett; 6 Days Ago at 8:11 PM.
    6 Days Ago - May 19, 2017, 8:11 PM - Re: Silver #11 Question #20

Hey while on the topic of humbrols, and more importantly before i take this party further. Are there any other humbrol colors that are messed up? This concrete/sand layer in particular is giving me anxiety.
    6 Days Ago - May 19, 2017, 8:16 PM - Re: Silver #11 Question #21

Hey while on the topic of humbrols, and more importantly before i take this party further. Are there any other humbrol colors that are messed up? This concrete/sand layer in particular is giving me anxiety.
    Testors Model master concrete is pretty accurate. Testors has been re-releasing popular paints from the floquil line. Don't have any experience with the humbrol line but when trying to find a good match for floquil concrete two years ago everyone pointed me towards the testors MM paint.

6 Days Ago - May 19, 2017, 8:27 PM - Re: Silver #11 Question #22

Testors Model master concrete is pretty accurate. Testors has been re-releasing popular paints from the floquil line. Don't have any experience with the humbrol line but when trying to find a good match for floquil concrete two years ago everyone pointed me towards the testors MM paint.

Thanks, Its actually called concrete? or a different name/number
    6 Days Ago - May 19, 2017, 8:28 PM - Silver #11 Question #23

Thanks, Its actually called concrete? or a different name/number
    Yup it's concrete

https://www.google.com/search?q=test...Ze5CgAQgTYIxgE

Model master concrete

4876 is the paint number

6 Days Ago - May 19, 2017, 8:36 PM - Silver #11 Question #24

Here is a comparison of floquil concrete and model master concrete given to me by fett4real

Testors is on the right floquil on the left

6 Days Ago - May 19, 2017, 10:45 PM - Re: Silver #11 Question #25

Here is a comparison of floquil concrete and model master concrete given to me by fett4real

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...072c334e0d.png

Testors is on the right floquil on the left

Awesome thankyou, ordered lol