BM Helmet Sculpt

I apologize, my last post was just rude. What I was laughing about was the fact that the dent tyler posted is in question... That is absolutely a REAL dent, but you are right, it isn't the ESB dent although all of the dents are the same as far as we can tell. That particular dent is off the prepro and is the most clear shot of a dent we currently have.

Brak's Buddy said:
I apologize, my last post was just rude. What I was laughing about was the fact that the dent tyler posted is in question... That is absolutely a REAL dent, but you are right, it isn't the ESB dent although all of the dents are the same as far as we can tell. That particular dent is off the prepro and is the most clear shot of a dent we currently have.

No need to apologise ;) But given the fact that most people will only have access to the finished article as reference and not the prepro as posted by Tyler, I was just pointing out that MS and BM helms are very similar to the screen used prop.

I probably should have clarified further. The image I posted is from a real, completed helmet. Around TDH, it's been labled the Preproduction 2 helmet; it was the helmet featured in all the early pre-ESB promotional material, i.e. the Fett action figure cardback.

The only reason it's referred to as a Preproduction helmet is because it ultimately wasn't used on screen. Except for that caveat, its features, including the dent, are virtually identical to every other real helmet, including the ESB and Jedi helmet.

The dent on the Preproduction 2 photo, the dent on the helmet in the archives book, the dent on the Jedi helmet (except for a dremmel mark) are the same.

So, the differences you see in the comparison picture between the BM dent and the Preproduction 2 helmet would be the same regardless of which film helmet you compared it to.

The Dent said:
I am not sure I understand your post. I think tyler showed the prepro because it most clearly shows what the dent actually looks like. The RotJ and ESb have so much paint on them they are a little obscured.

I was just pointing out that most reference material will only feature the screen used props in their finished, painted state, hence it might explain why the MS and BM helms are in fact inaccurate.

So the consideration is that the MS and BM helms do in fact resemble the screen used props because access to a prepro image might not have been available.

tylerdurden said:
So, the differences you see in the comparison picture between the BM dent and the Preproduction 2 helmet would be the same regardless of which film helmet you compared it to.

Thank you for expanding on things further, I think there's some crossing of wires going on. I apologise if I misunderstood!

bigkidbiggertoys said:
Hmm, seems someone has recasted my aluminum rangefinder post without asking my permission first:angry

How about a closeup of "your" post.

With all due respect BKBT, the RF Stalk I purchased from you was the one that narrows towards the top and was too thick to fit in my RF housing (I think it was about 7mm thick. My RF Stalk doesn't narrow and is exactly 5mm thick (the exact thickness of a piece of 5mm Sintra!). I can understand your concerns, but the RF stalk is the easiest piece of all to create, especially since I have just built a helmet and a hollow RF.

E2K13 said:
Hmmmmmmm,

The BM dent bears a striking resemblance to an MSH2 dent if I am not mistaken.

IMG_4214.jpg

Praise indeed... However if you look closer you will see that it only resembles the MSH2 dent at a glance (this was always intended). I don't know if anyone is implying that I have re-cast an MSH2 or the dent (if not then please accept my apologies) anyway, I have highlighted a couple of major differences.

Apart from the major flat edge that I have highlighted on the MSH2 shot, If you count the actual sides of the dent I think mine has an extra one.

My ultimate goal with this helmet has always been towards the screen used helmet not the Prepro ones. After all, I fell in love with the ones I saw on screen as a child not the prepro. I think I've done a pretty good job so far. I don't want to get bogged down comparing all the different versions of dent, there seems to be far too many, however, I understand peoples concerns when it comes to re-casting, I will always fight my corner on this point.

ZZ_Compare_to_MSH2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Why on a helmet that you've spent so much time reproducing with "laser" accuracy would you intentionally make your dent inaccurate? It doesn't make sense to use the MSH-2 dent as reference for your sculpt when it is WELL known the mystery helmet has the precise characteristics?! Oh and what the heck are you trying to point out with that "thickness" line between the two helmets. Obviously the MSH-2 visor section is trimmed out on that picture, what point are you trying to make? Is your helmet going to be intentionally that thick in the visor section? That wouldn't be accurate either. The reason for why the MS2 helmet comes through so thick in the visor section is the way I've clayed in the visor and mandibles as do some other helmets available.

I know I just did laundry but why is it I still smell socks?:lol:

I guess the point many people are trying to make is, if your so darn good at making all this stuff, why do you ever need to buy anything if your not going to use it for your costume? Why buy BKBT stalk if its so easy to make one ??????? Why buy a MLC RF if you can make your own? Why buy anyones helmet if you can make your own ?????????

M_S brings up a valid point here.
That comparison shot attempting to show the thickness doesn't hold any water because you are comparing the thickness of an untrimmed BM helmet to the thickness of the T-Visor area of a fully trimmed and finished helmet.

After buying a helmet from someone...
Making it and finishing it...
It might not turn out to be all I invisioned it to be....
instead,
I just might think of making my own after it as I could see the faults and shortcommings in the one I bought...

Would this make me... TDH enemy number one???

Mason...

Master-Jedi-Allma said:
So if my sculpt turned out to be awesome...
You would complain if I started to make copies and offer them to people?

Mason.

Ok Mason, look at it this way,
You make a helmet you take months to gather research and put it together. Sculpt the thing out and make your mold. Start making Fiberglass helmets and I see it, ask for it and buy it from you.

Then in turn I look at it and say, I like this part but I am going to add a small detail that is different.
I change the detail, Make a mold and then offer this helmet to people claiming that the helmet was all me and no one elses creation.
How would you feel in that instance if you were given no credit for that 95% of work to begin with?

I doubt you would feel as good.

If you made the "Sculpt" yourself, NO. If you took someone's helmet that you purchased "tweaked" it and then claimed it was "yours" and started selling them to people, YES.

E2K13 said:
How would you feel in that instance if you were given no credit for that 95% of work to begin with?

Okay, are we still talking about the dent here? :confused
You're making it sound like the guy bought the Mona Lisa, put it in a shiny new frame and then claimed to be the original artist???

E2K13, you know I mean no disrespect but I just don't get it. The dents are similar but that's about it.

So you guys have proof beyond all doubt that this helmet sculpt was not scratch built from reference items?

Mason...

PS: Good luck Michael Jackson as it's obvious that...
"you are NOT innocent untill proven guilty"....in the land of the free...

Look, I am just curious as to why the similarities are closer to the fan made helmet as opposed to the original helmet thats all!
When someone sees something like that, it tends to raise a few eyebrows.

This thread is more than 19 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back