Man of War Studios

mjharless

New Hunter
Was looking at piecing a complete costume of Fett from Man of War Studios. Anybody familiar with his work? Is it 501st material and better?

There is no such thing as "501st material." The people pimping their stuff as such are usually the worst. That said, MOW is top notch. I have a pair of MOW boots and an old unfinished MOW Jet Pack. Both are great. I ended up buying a JP from DVH because I decided I wanted it finished and I didn't want to send Lou somebody else's stuff to finish and paint.

Christian's (MOW's) stuff is what he says it is, so the description should accurately tell you what he is selling.

There is no such thing as "501st material." The people pimping their stuff as such are usually the worst. That said, MOW is top notch. I have a pair of MOW boots and an old unfinished MOW Jet Pack. Both are great. I ended up buying a JP from DVH because I decided I wanted it finished and I didn't want to send Lou somebody else's stuff to finish and paint.

Christian's (MOW's) stuff is what he says it is, so the description should accurately tell you what he is selling.

What about Boba Maker from the U.K.?

I have Bobamaker armor and wish I had just bought all of my stuff from him when I made my initial order. The armor was perfect and required no trimming. Only bad part is you will be waiting awhile for it.

I use MOW boots, gauntlets and jetpack. He has upgraded his mold on the pack since I bought mine and I saw one at Celebration. All his stuff is nice and required some finishing work in my case sine my paint is glossy.

For armor/gauntlets there is RKD and now Animefan as well- both make quality stuff.

Christian is a stand up guy. I like that his stuff is pretty much always in stock so if you hate waiting like I do than MOW is a great person to go to. He also has really fast communication and is a pleasure to deal with, not everyone in the prop community is. I had an issue that was my fault and he took care of it and sent me a new pair of gloves. I bought a pair of gloves from him, an ammo belt, and flight suit.

I've also used Boba Maker a long time ago. Great guy as well, just be prepared to wait a while.

I have pieces from almost every current artist and just completed my ESB Fett and am awaiting 501 approval. First off, you have to ask yourself "Why?" do I want approval. When you build a Fett, you are buidling it for you. You will think one piece is better than another. Taste, fit, budget, your own interpretation of screen accurate will ultimately determine your final vision. But there is no one artist or prop maker that has it all. As they strive to do so, it only makes our end product better. For example, my soft pieces alone have 4 different sources. I'm currently making a custom set of gaunts with three artists pieces, and after celebration, I'm rethinking my whole EE3 set up.

But as soon as you get 501st certified, it won't be over. The upgrading, the research, the adjusting... it won't cease.

I have MOW Neck seal, boots and ammo belt. I will be upgrading the ammo belt however. No Bobamaker yet but I will have at least ROTJ SE Armor.

I am not finished yet and I have already upgraded some parts 2 or 3 times. I would like to think it ends, but when I am done, I already know that I can do a better job on my armor...

As far as 501st grade goes... I would say you can make stuff from Man of War Studios 501st quality (but it will take a lot of work to make it that way). I have gauntlets and a jetpack from MoW and I can say with confidence they are built very sturdy once assembled. I think they'll last a lifetime if you treat them well. BUT I had to spend hours and hours sanding, painting, and all the other labors of love involved with any part you may get assembling your suit.

So, in short, is MoW studios equipment 501st grade; not out of the box. *CAN* it be 501st quality; if you're looking for parts made of quality materials and can put the time and effort to dress them up, absolutely they can be 501st quality.

That's my take on it anyway. Good luck with with the build!

If you take MoW gauntlets, jetpack and shoes you will have no problem to get them on 501St standard, they are top quality. I dont think gloves will be ok. Dont know about the other parts...

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

I think the gauntlets/pack would get thru 501st approve with almost zero work. They cosmetically look correct in shape and size and that's all that matters prior to paint. Making them look 100% upon close inspection ( like 6 inches from your face) is a personal preference. 501st approvals are done via photos so you there are zero "flaws" in the gauntlets that could be seen. The jetpack would just need these little dimple things filled which is easy ( if you want them gone like I did that is a lot more work as well as filling every area that isn't level)

If you take MoW gauntlets, jetpack and shoes you will have no problem to get them on 501St standard, they are top quality. I dont think gloves will be ok. Dont know about the other parts...

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Pretty much everything else he sells requires some to a lot of changes to meet 501st approval with the possible exceptions of girth and ammo belts (if the fit you properly).

Echoing what others have said though he's a great guy.

Sent via Holonet from Slave I

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back