Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Feb 2017
    1 Week Ago - Apr 17, 2017, 3:12 AM - Kids WOF scratch build #1

Hi all, been lurking here awhile and thought I should put up a WIP thread. I'm making a Mando helm for my 4 year old son, who loves Fett. I'm on attempt 4 now, have tried a few different methods that I'll describe later. Pics of V1 through 3 will follow as well. If you see your idea copied here, it probably is - I'm super glad to learn from all the solid work others have shared here!

Here's the dome, done in cardstock and scotch taped together before slush casting rondo.

Attachment 108434

Then I made a negative of the dome form WOF templates to hold the curing dome.

Attachment 108435
    Attachment 108436

Then I started slush casting/brushing in rondo, 2 oz resin and a golf ball size amount of filler, with both the liquid and cream hardeners mixed in. Pot life was around 5 minutes, cured to tacky in about 15 and ready for the next coat.

First coat
    Attachment 108437

Second coat
    Attachment 108438

Third coat

After the third coat, I got impatient and added a layer of fiberglass mat - 4th coat looked like this
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2239.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	2.84 MB 
ID:	108439

I did one last slush coat to smooth it over

Name:	IMG_2240.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	2.59 MB 
ID:	108440

The result is strong and the shape looks looks pretty good

Name:	IMG_2241.JPG 
Size:	2.57 MB 
ID:	108441

I used a scraper to take off the scotch tape and knock down the high points. I also etched in the reference points - the bottom edge cutoff line and front and back center marks with a drywall knife

Name:	IMG_2243.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	2.51 MB 
ID:	108442

Kept knocking down the high points with a rasp

Name:	IMG_2245.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	2.64 MB 
ID:	108443

Dear lord it's late! Time flies when you're having fun! More to come

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. Become a member for 90 days and create 50 posts and you won't see these ads.Register now!
  3. Member Since
    Feb 2017
    1 Week Ago - Apr 17, 2017, 8:04 PM - Re: Kids WOF scratch build #2

Argh... when the bourbon and fumes wore off, I realized the lip had warped and deformed while curing

Here's another shot of it, on the "helmet base" template

Name:	IMG_2248.JPG 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	108494

Man, looks like a lot of filling and shaping to be done. Not sure if I'm gonna do it or just start over with paper again.

1 Week Ago - Apr 17, 2017, 8:15 PM - Re: Kids WOF scratch build #3

Maybe you could reinforce the base of the dome with a couple layers of stiff material. On a couple of my builds I left a ring of the base in to help keep the shape. When you get thick with bondo and other polyester resins they can draw up as they cure.

Your work looks good though. Keep it up!
  5. Member Since
    Feb 2017
    1 Week Ago - Apr 20, 2017, 10:04 AM - Re: Kids WOF scratch build #4

Quote ToEleven said: View Post
    Maybe you could reinforce the base of the dome with a couple layers of stiff material. On a couple of my builds I left a ring of the base in to help keep the shape. When you get thick with bondo and other polyester resins they can draw up as they cure.

Your work looks good though. Keep it up!
    Thanks a lot! Solved the problem by re-doing it. This time I jot glued the cardstock into the support frame base, and used several smaller lifts of polyurethane resin instead of Rondo

The new version fits the helmet base template perfectly, so it was well worth the time to correct.

6. Member Since
    Feb 2017
    1 Week Ago - Apr 20, 2017, 10:22 PM - Re: Kids WOF scratch build #5

Finished scraping off the paper, sanded it smooth, added 3 brushed on coats of poly resin to the outside. SUPER happy with the product, a sweet dome.

7. Member Since
    Feb 2017
    1 Day Ago - Apr 26, 2017, 5:40 PM - Re: Kids WOF scratch build #6

Out of town, visiting my in-laws, so no work on the V4 bucket to report. Here is a pic of my youngest son in the V3 helmet. I scrapped the build because I could see too many shape problems and thought I'd be better off starting fresh.

After reading many scratch build threads, I'm entertaining the idea of tackling the corrections, there's some good bones there. Thoughts?

1 Day Ago - Apr 26, 2017, 7:42 PM - Re: Kids WOF scratch build #7

I threw away my 1st build about halfway into it. It's no big deal to start over with a fresh perspective. As you go along you begin to have eye for the details. Plus... It makes good sense to do things correctly from the beginning rather than backtracking and fixing after the fact.