Superjedi's MF #6 ESB for Jesster

superjedi

Sr Hunter
Hi everyone,
This is it! My 25th ESB commission. :wacko
I've done my share of FPH2's, GMH's, Animefans, and a couple other makers in the past, but this is something pretty unique.
The kit I'll be working on is a Malone Fett (MF) helmet, from the original run of 10. The one that was sent to me is #6.

Not only is it a highly unusual helmet, but Jesster has some killer accessories to round out the kit! These include:
-- A Terminal Fettler RF topper. . . beautiful!
-- A Machinecraft RF stalk. . . again, gorgeous!
-- A complete set of machined metal ears. . . amazing looking!
-- A real MQ-1 circuit board
-- A real Polaroid SX-70 viewfinder
-- A real Borden connector
-- An RF light kit with microswitch
-- A second complete RF with stalk to switch out as Jesster likes. This includes what I believe is a scratchbuilt topper made by Natty15d. It's super nice!

Here are a couple of shots of the helmet and the accessories.

IMAG4204.jpg
IMAG4205.jpg
IMAG4206.jpg

Since the MF and the GMH are "cousins," here are a few shots comparing the two.
Head on:
IMAG4194.jpg

Left side:
IMAG4196.jpg

Right side:
IMAG4199.jpg

Back:
IMAG4197.jpg

Domes:
IMAG4200.jpg

So how about that for an intro?? ;) I'm excited to work on this one. Much more to come!

Last edited:
Thanks, guys. I'm getting started on the prep. There are some pinholes, little divots, and a couple of seams that have to be taken care of,
so Bondo to the rescue! The helmet looks like it has measles right now, lol.

IMAG4208.jpg IMAG4209.jpg IMAG4210.jpg IMAG4211.jpg

I'll sand this once it's dry and re-examine everything to see what needs another coat. There will be some additional clean up around the visor opening
and the keyslots, too. The helmet arrived to me with these areas already cut out, but they need a little fine tuning.

Last edited:
Thanks, all!
The prep is progressing. I got all the Bondo sanded down, added a bit more where needed, then finally got to shoot some primer.
As I suspected, the primer revealed just a few more spots that needed a little more attention. But that's normal.

I'll sand this round of Bondo shortly, then shoot some more primer and take a look at the results. Hopefully that will do it and
I'll be able to begin adding some color onto this bad boy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your attention to detail SJ. The prep work is coming along nicely. I knew there were a few parts on the helmet that needed to be cleaned up a little.

You bet, Jess!
I just came in a minute ago from spraying the second coat of primer. I think everything looks OK now, but I'll double check when it's dry. (y)

First color is on. :)
I airbrushed the Concrete on the rear panels. I'll let it dry until tomorrow evening, then I'll begin stenciling and masking for the dark green.
This is the fun part for me. Prep is boring! ;)

I've been spending some time doing prep on the metal ears. They had machining marks that had to be removed, and that's taken a while!
But I did manage to throw in some work on the helmet, too. I got the rear panels stenciled and masked for the dark green.
IMAG4311.jpg

Once the stencils were marked, I used my Winsor & Newton masking fluid to block out the shapes. I don't worry about getting every tiny detail.
I always go back with a fine brush and tweak the edges of the damage areas using reference pictures. The next two shots show the masking fluid.

IMAG4313.jpg IMAG4314.jpg

Next I airbrushed the dark green. First I do a medium/heavy coat, leaving a little of the base Concrete showing through. Then I go back with lighter pressure and finer control and add some variation. I try to match the effect as closely as I can to reference pics.

IMAG4316.jpg

I'll let this dry for a few hours then remove the masking fluid.

Last edited:
Thanks!
Something happened to my Photobucket album and all the pics I uploaded prior to yesterday vanished. I'll have to reload them.

OK, still plugging away. :) I have a busy few days getting ready to go to Celebration, but I'm working on the rear panels when I can.
I got all the masking removed, and now I'm at the stage where I'm tweaking the edges of the damage areas. Just getting all the small curves and shapes as close as I can, and adding some of the finer details.

IMAG4322.jpg
I'm satisfied with the left panel now and I 'm working on the right panel.

Last edited:
And the right panel is done, too. Now I'm set up to begin the gray and silver, although I'm not sure how much I'll get done in the next couple of days.
IMAG4327.jpg

Only 3 more days till I leave for Florida! :) I have to do boring real life stuff to get ready so this may be where I pause until after Celebration.

Hope to see a bunch of TDHers down there. (y)

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back