Superjedi's FPH2 for Refugee

superjedi

Sr Hunter
Hi all!
I'll bet a lot of you are saying, "Hey, Eric, how come you've never done an ESB helmet before???" :lol:
Well, I'm starting a new commission for Refugee and this will be my ESB #24! This is a Wasteland FPH2 kit. It's a great kit, and Refugee has included some upgraded accessories.
In the shot below, all the trimming and prep has been done, and the primer has been applied. In addition to the included resin ears and RF, I'll be adding a Machinecraft aluminum
stalk (which is beautiful), a real (modern) Borden connector, and a real MQ-1 circuit board. There's also a wired RF light kit which isn't shown. I've already cut down and base
coated the MQ-1 board.

IMAG3912_zpseba26sda.jpg

The pics in this thread may look a little different than my usual pics, since my nice camera was STOLEN last Friday night! :angry
Our house was robbed so I'm using my cell phone camera until we figure out what kind of new camera we want to get.

But Fett must not be ignored! So the project will go on. I got the base coat of Concrete on the rear panels just a little while ago.
So this weekend I'll be able to do the stenciling and masking and apply the dark green.

IMAG3914_zpsbb9eddpa.jpg

Hope you enjoy the progress, Albert. (y)

I'm very excited! Thanks Eric for starting this progress thread and for the pics! My helmet is in the hands of a master painter and that makes me very glad :)

You bet! Just to clarify to others, I haven't been waiting because of Eric. He's been awesome and has kept his timeline.

Due to circumstances others may not know about I've waited 2 years to gather parts and line up commissions. Things are moving forward with my build and I'm SUPER excited :)

Eric is awesome and he's going to do an amazing job!

We both had the same issue over the last 2 years and Eric really helped me out! I'm very grateful!

I think that everyone should have a Fett helmet, so I'm doing my part. ;)

Got some good momentum going on the back panels. Everything was stenciled, masked, and airbrushed for the main color breaks.
Then I went back as I always do with a fine brush and tweaked the edges of the shapes and added some small chips, as well as some
variation in the appearance of the green. This is always subjective, but it helps to create the illusion of depth in the finished product.

IMAG3933_zpsakmieroj.jpg

Since I took these pics, I've already gotten the silver done on the left panel. Gray is coming up next.

IMAG3935_zpsv8j5fmcl.jpg

The detail work is what I love the most. A lot of people may hate it, but it's what gives the Fett helmet all that character.

Thanks. :) The detail is just beginning. . .

Got the left panel finished up. Using my standard palette of SP Lark Dk Gray and Bright Silver. There are also some areas where
I add physical scratches with a metal tool, and just a touch of drybrushing.

IMAG3939_zpszz6izbda.jpg

I applied the stencils to the right panel and I'll begin that eye-crossing giant scrape with all its tiny chips and scratches in a little while.

Bringing the weekend to a close with the big giant scrape! I'm giving my eyeballs a rest now, LOL.

IMAG3944_zpsdb9fn5w0.jpg

So many chips. . . I paint on some of the larger gray chips first to use as landmarks, then I do the silver, then I make another
pass with the gray to do the remaining detail. Here's a shot at a different angle to show how the silver looks brighter in certain light.

IMAG3948_zpsjm4adgd2.jpg

I'll work on the remainder of the right panel during the week.

Thanks! Yeah, it's one of the most detail heavy areas on the helmet. It always takes me a couple of sessions to get it done.

I finished the rest of the right panel. There's some decent detail in the lower right section, too. Here are a couple of shots in
slightly different lighting conditions.

IMAG3955_zpsi7egeeix.jpg

IMAG3958_zpsx1mrjmgi.jpg

Now that the panels are done I can mask them off and lay down the base green for the dome and cheeks. :)

Got the dome and cheek color on. :) I sprayed the base coat and did the first weathering pass.
I really wish I still had my good camera. . . my cell phone isn't quite capturing the tone the way it looks by eye.

IMAG3973_zpsiykpmkja.jpg

IMAG3975_zps9mgugu5d.jpg

Now that this stage is done, I can begin the dome damage. I'll start on the back and work my way around.

Dome is in work. :)
I got the back portion done a little while ago. Still working with my gray and silver and my scratcher upper tool.
Some of the fine details are silver, and some are physically scratched into the paint.

IMAG3978_zps4vjjb3m7.jpg

There are a few physical scratches elsewhere on the helmet, but the back of the dome has the most by far.
Once I get to the killstripes, there are a few more that I'll add using the stripes as landmarks.

IMAG3979_zps93hl3cj7.jpg

From here I'll continue counterclockwise around the dome. The area just behind the RF ear is up next.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back