Issue Resolved Please Delete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberpyrot

Active Hunter
after talking to the guys over at the www.thebhg.net the armor is required to have a return edge. what that means is "the material needs to be folded on an angle to give the appearance of depth." even if the appeared depth is the same depth as the thickness of the material???? Meaning I would have to fold the metal on an angle then to get it to the proper size I would have to grind away the folded part back to original thickness.. to really understand I have posted pictures the Approved 501st image is what they presented me. my only other option would to use thinner metal and fold it over to get the appearance of thickness rather then actual thickness does that even make sense?

My question who is even going around checking the back side for a folded edge? and why does it matter if you cant tell looking from the front? Meh there club there rules. Its a shame I have done so much good for the community and wanted to do so much more.

armor-comparison (1).jpg

armor-comparison-2 (1).png

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still going to finish the armor and it will look exactly like everyone else's "Approved Armor".

Yeh thats what was said to me about my armor too. Either way we will both still have nice fetts that we will both love

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560

I don't understand what the issue is. Like you said, they want a return edge to give a sense of depth and thickness to the armor. If your armor is, by design, the thickness that the other types of armor are trying to achieve, what does it matter?

I don't understand what the issue is. Like you said, they want a return edge to give a sense of depth and thickness to the armor. If your armor is, by design, the thickness that the other types of armor are trying to achieve, what does it matter?
Exactly my point if you cant see the difference then whats the issue. you would never know unless you flip the armor over if you look at the side by side comparison you would see mine is actually thicker.

Have you asked one of those in charge of approvals? I would think it's acceptable, but what do I know...I just have a bunch of unfinished Fett pieces laying all around the house. Haha

What gets me is I can put any edge on it they want because its the same thickness as theirs I can round the edge I can flatten it I can even put a taper on it make it look identical.

- - - Updated - - -

Have you asked one of those in charge of approvals? I would think it's acceptable, but what do I know...I just have a bunch of unfinished Fett pieces laying all around the house. Haha
I think the one I spoke to was in charge im not sure if any one knows any one they can point me to I can even send them a comparison piece.

- - - Updated - - -

I completely understand not approving some one using paper thin metal where there is virtually no thickness.

My armor is 3mm sintra, with a rounded edge. No other additional edge shaping. That 3mm rounded edge was approved.

I think the CRL requirement is meant to address thinner materials like vacuformed ABS.

Major what is your take on this? This seems to be the silliest thing in the history of ever. His armor has the correct thickness...I know of SEVERAL people with BH #s that have wickedbeard armor that is similar in that its thick and are approved. To me, and Im pretty dang picky from even 1 foot away it would pass muster the dents aren't entirely perfectly accurate but that's not whats in debate here.

Dom, I have Wickedbeard, and would love to be approved... I reached out to Major thru PM, asking if my armor would be disqualified from 501st approval due to the return edge...

He answered with "In short, it would.... I'm sorry, I know that's frustrating. I used to have it too, once of the main reasons I got rid of it"

Tulsa has a presence of both 501st and the Mando Merc's, and I'm being asked to join...but, given this, I cannot join, and am left out just as the others are.

@Major what is your take on this? This seems to be the silliest thing in the history of ever. His armor has the correct thickness...I know of SEVERAL people with BH #s that have wickedbeard armor that is similar in that its thick and are approved. To me, and Im pretty dang picky from even 1 foot away it would pass muster the dents aren't entirely perfectly accurate but that's not whats in debate here.

I hate to hear that man specially since you've busted your balls cold forging each piece...mark talk to Josh powers, he's our GML send him the pics of the comparison between the 2 and see what he says... you posted it on our recruitment page and nobody said a word about it needing the return edge

Sent from my iPhone

Man this upsets me if its good enough to earn the approval of the tdh community then its more than good enough for 501st Cmon!!

It does not have to have a return edge. It does have to appear to have a return edge. I have seen 6mm sintra approved with a beveled edge. Older Bobamaker armor is fiberglass which is thick but doesn't have a true return edge. It is approvable and works just fine. Look at my armor and you will see what I mean. It is the older Bobamaker armor. The whole point is that trash can armor is not acceptable, 2mm sintra is not ok and so on. This issue is that it doesn't look like screen used armor............which is what we are going for.

Remember the rules are put in place for guidelines for GMLs all over the world. You have to set some standard for everyone to go by and it can't be a "well that looks good enough" it has to be a standard. AND , this is a biggie it has to be able to be interpreted by someone who IS NOT A BOBA FETT expert. Not every GML is a Fett guy. Some of them can tell you 7 variations of stormtrooper seen in ANH but they didn't even realize there are multiple Fett helmets. (I have no idea how many variations of stormtroopers there are in ANH btw)

My one suggestion is to not jump off the ledge too early............your armor may well make the cut before all is said and done, just take your time and have some patience with the process.

just stick with it......

Dom, I have Wickedbeard, and would love to be approved... I reached out to Major thru PM, asking if my armor would be disqualified from 501st approval due to the return edge...

He answered with "In short, it would.... I'm sorry, I know that's frustrating. I used to have it too, once of the main reasons I got rid of it"

Tulsa has a presence of both 501st and the Mando Merc's, and I'm being asked to join...but, given this, I cannot join, and am left out just as the others are.
Once again I know people with BH #s that were approved before....

The guide doesn't say it has to have a return edge.

The person who said return edge is mis-reading the CRL If it looks the part that's what counts which it does! Hope it works out for yall.

It will get sorted out..... I will review it again when I get to look at this in front of a monitor and not a phone.......

Here's what the CRL says:
"Armor has dimension giving the feeling of thickness and depth."

Okay...... now that I've seen them side by side, I'm fine with it.

I was the one that made that call back in May 2016 after he posted in March. I'm okay with looking at things again.

its hard to be upset at those guys because the such great guys but we will see as far as the damage I will do what is needed to make it look exactly what it should look like.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay...... now that I've seen them side by side, I'm fine with it.

I was the one that made that call back in May 2016 after he posted in March. I'm okay with looking at things again.

Thanks Major you are the best any other changes I need to make let me know..

- - - Updated - - -

here is a post of what it look like so far let me know if I need to make addition changes

IMG_0328.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back