Issue Resolved Please Delete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't worry, it will get sorted out. Like F4R said, I think that requirement is in there so people can't make armor out of thin plastic garage sale signs and get approved.

Last edited by a moderator:
All of my armor has a return edge... and to be honest, it is way too much. The armor looks far thicker than in reference pictures. And this matters for the paint job as well as my damage gets to be large. It is "correct" by 501st standards, but I think having a uniformly thick piece like cyperpyrot's is "more correct" or at least looks better. Further, I think that these a lot of these aluminum suits (armor, helmet, gaunts), while not 501st approvable, are just awesome.

I was the XO of the BHG for two years, and I've been a GML. In my opinion, as long as the armor has the appearance of a return edge it should be acceptable as long as the dents and curves and paint job are a decently accurate recreation of the visual reference. Unlike people, with costumes, it's what's on the outside that counts.

“Y’all, if we’re not having fun, this is just a drag. We’re plastic spacemen. If anybody in the club is getting too serious, we’ll throw out that tagline. 'We're plastic spacemen, right?' 'Yep, we’re plastic spacemen.’”

Albin Johnson, Founder of the 501st Legion

Good sense will prevail. I'm curious what Josh Powers has to say - your stuff is thick and awesome, I thought it'd have heft like like ceramic ballistic plates when I first saw it. The stuff looks and feels legit. I'd challenge anyone to punch it with me wearing it. I've stood on it, all 2 something something pounds of me.

Best of lucks dude. Im sure the 501st will always welcome people that wants to help like you do.

Thanks again Major. Let me know if you want to do any charity auctions before I get to old to make stuff. :D

My armor is 3mm sintra, with a rounded edge. No other additional edge shaping. That 3mm rounded edge was approved.

I think the CRL requirement is meant to address thinner materials like vacuformed ABS.
This is correct cause that is how my armor is made and no one said a thing. Definitely seems to address hollow pieces

Sent from my Nexus 6

“Y’all, if we’re not having fun, this is just a drag. We’re plastic spacemen. If anybody in the club is getting too serious, we’ll throw out that tagline. 'We're plastic spacemen, right?' 'Yep, we’re plastic spacemen.’”

Albin Johnson, Founder of the 501st Legion

Good sense will prevail. I'm curious what Josh Powers has to say - your stuff is thick and awesome, I thought it'd have heft like like ceramic ballistic plates when I first saw it. The stuff looks and feels legit. I'd challenge anyone to punch it with me wearing it. I've stood on it, all 2 something something pounds of me.
"grown adults who put on spandex and plastic and go for a stroll" from the survival handbook. Not a perfect quote but you get the idea. :)

Sent from my Nexus 6

I'd make it dirtier and obviously the visor needs to be red

Sent from my iPhone

3mm thickness as far as I know is OK. The CRL just says "feeling of depth and thickness". The turn around is only needed if you are using vacuumed formed plastic or other thin material. If you go straight to Sintra or Aluminium you should be OK as long as thickness is 3mm.

At some point, the language you quoted was amended to say:

Chest Armor
For 501st approval:

• Consists of collar armor, left and right breast plates, a center diamond and an abdominal plate.
  • Armor has a return edge, giving the feeling of thickness and depth.

Thus, I am being told I will not be approved with my Wickedbeard full aluminum kit.

3mm thickness as far as I know is OK. The CRL just says "feeling of depth and thickness". The turn around is only needed if you are using vacuumed formed plastic or other thin material. If you go straight to Sintra or Aluminium you should be OK as long as thickness is 3mm.

Remember your local GML would have the final say, i was a GML for 4yrs. I would approve it as long as the egde is thick enough, whether it be vac formed and have a 3mm return egde, or a thick material like metal that has a thick/3mm edge. Major has already said he is ok with it, so if your GML says no, you can refer him to Major/the BHG DL, or XO. The point of that being said in the CRL, is that most folks that dont buy armor make it from plastic, and they want to avoid it looking very thin, because even though it may not be immediately noticeable, it gives you a cheap look when its thin. ive seen it repeatedly over the years. Alot of the tutorilas on like to make armor talk about just cutting sheet plastic or even garbage cans...belive me it ends up looking cheap/fake 90% of the time. If you have the thickness of the metal or even the edge thick enough, i see no reason it wouldn't clear.

Red visor? What are you talking about? No version of Fett has ever had a red visor...

i think he's referring to the chest lights window having the transparent red acrylic sheet in front of the lights.... maybe?

Remember your local GML would have the final say, i was a GML for 4yrs. I would approve it as long as the egde is thick enough, whether it be vac formed and have a 3mm return egde, or a thick material like metal that has a thick/3mm edge. Major has already said he is ok with it, so if your GML says no, you can refer him to Major/the BHG DL, or XO. The point of that being said in the CRL, is that most folks that dont buy armor make it from plastic, and they want to avoid it looking very thin, because even though it may not be immediately noticeable, it gives you a cheap look when its thin. ive seen it repeatedly over the years. Alot of the tutorilas on like to make armor talk about just cutting sheet plastic or even garbage cans...belive me it ends up looking cheap/fake 90% of the time. If you have the thickness of the metal or even the edge thick enough, i see no reason it wouldn't clear.

That's the reason most custom mandos look brutal, in my opinion of course.

Level 1 approval comes from the members local GML, not the detachment. If your GML has rejected your approval, then the detachment can give their opinion. Level3Fett, talk to your GML and see what his issues are and why he is rejecting your suit. If you have proof to counter his denial, then the detachment can help you out. Seeing the Major has ok'd the suit (he is the detachment leader and I am the XO), the issue can get moved up to the legion GML. The problem now is with elections going on, no new approvals will be given out until after the legion elections (march if I am correct).

I have seen a number of approved Fetts with glaring mistakes. Your lack of approval seem unreasonable.

UPDATE:

But wait is your suit even done? Looking back on the posts, it appears it is not. Were you just told your armor would

not approved because of the lack of the fold?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back