Star Wars Despecialized Editions

clmayfield

Active Hunter
I became aware of the "Star Wars Despecialized Edition" (DEED) a while ago, but the whole process of downloading a 20 GB file was a bit too daunting when I heard of them a couple of years ago. Post-TFA and with my newly rekindled obsession, with Boba Fett, I finally decided to download the DEED this weekend and play them on my Blu Ray via USB. I have watched ANH and it was spectacular! I figured everyone here would be aware of the DEED, but a search on "despecialized" and "harmy" resulted in only a couple of hits, so I thought I would spread the word.

For those who don't know, us old folks who watched the original trilogy on release in the movie theater saw the movies in a certain way. Apparently, some film editing buffs, frustrated with not only the fact that Lucas refused to release an original cut of the trilogy on Blu Ray, but also upset with the the color rendering and generally crappy quality of the remasters that Lucas was involved with decided to take matters into their own hands. These guys painstakingly remastered the original version using, among other things, a pristine condition version of the film on celluloid. If you own the Blue Ray Trilogy (this is honor system here), you may download the "Despecialized Edition" for free. I haven't watched ESB or ROTJ yet, but if you are a 40-something, watching these movies in their original form will take you back. And the video quality is breathtaking.

Here is a comparison of the DEED version to the Lucas releases:

And here is a link with instructions on how to download the DEED:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yLsvexWBVM8IYSGopKuSfsGk5YIgCwQWd23bqb5ryD4/pub#h.8rvtxho2dil0

It was a bit complicated, but if I could do it, you can, too. It does involve downloading some freeware and following some directions, but it really wasn't that complicated. Good luck and May the Force be with you.

Last edited by a moderator:
this is Harmy's version, the 720 resolution, they're great! i can't seem to find it now, but i remember seeing recently a group working on a 1080 version (and possibly a 4k), sometime in the past year.

Each complete film will require 21 TB of storage! I have no idea how they will host that. It will require ridiculous bandwidth.

as far as i know, harmy's rips aren't native in 1080, but i have seen several upscales from 720p. that project 4k77 looks pretty cool, too bad i don't have a 4k monitor.

I recently became aware of it via youtube....but it seemed pretty time intensive to download it....Which if I could do it from work I would be alas that would get me into quite a bit of trouble lol.

I think its to do with the file type.... no so much the length of the film...I have 1080P versions of the films I feel like are 5 GB each.....

I recently became aware of it via youtube....but it seemed pretty time intensive to download it....Which if I could do it from work I would be alas that would get me into quite a bit of trouble lol.

It took about 2 - 3 hours with the download accelerator that they suggested in the instructions (FreeRapid Downloader). And then there is another program you need to download to tie the files together and extract them.

It wasn't that difficult and is totally worth it. The picture quality is awesome! Plus, Han shoots first!

I get the need to be revamping the movies since they were so old, but I really like that someone did this. I don't mind seeing the black lines around the ships and pre-super digital effects.
I didn't know this was still a thing, a buddy of mine showed me ANH a while back.

This is cool!

Mine is on a thumb drive as well. And I needed a 128 GB one to do it. Too big for a 64GB drive.
i just checked my videos folder and the total size on disk for all three despecialized films is 20.3Gb. are yours upscaled to 1080?

i just checked my videos folder and the total size on disk for all three despecialized films is 20.3Gb. are yours upscaled to 1080?

Must be. It is the mkv file. 20.9 GB for ANH, 20.6 GB for ESB, 20.1 GB for ROTJ. Plus some extra space for some bonus features.

I get the need to be revamping the movies since they were so old, but I really like that someone did this. I don't mind seeing the black lines around the ships and pre-super digital effects.
I didn't know this was still a thing, a buddy of mine showed me ANH a while back.

This is cool!

Here's the thing... I think that the effects before CGI were MORE realistic. Some things, like the claymation Tauntauns have not aged well, but Star Wars was so cutting edge that a movie made in 1977 doesn't seem out of place today. You can't say that about anything before Star Wars. The Ten Commandments, Star Trek, Planet of the Apes, none of those hold a candle to Star Wars. And quite frankly, I think the effects in ANH are better than, say, the Transformers series. I think the big game changer after Star Wars was The Matrix, and that was as much about the cinematography as it was the CGI.

Here's the thing... I think that the effects before CGI were MORE realistic. Some things, like the claymation Tauntauns have not aged well, but Star Wars was so cutting edge that a movie made in 1977 doesn't seem out of place today. You can't say that about anything before Star Wars. The Ten Commandments, Star Trek, Planet of the Apes, none of those hold a candle to Star Wars. And quite frankly, I think the effects in ANH are better than, say, the Transformers series. I think the big game changer after Star Wars was The Matrix, and that was as much about the cinematography as it was the CGI.

I kind of have trouble watching The Matrix today, some of that stuff doesn't look that great anymore. I feel the same way about watching The Prequels, a lot of that stuff just doesn't look THAT good anymore to me. A lot of it is being the first time and associating it with positive memories, I think. The first time I played a Star Wars game on PS2 I thought it looked real, but I never really felt that way again after more video games came out because I had seen good graphics already (and they just kept getting better anyway).

Star Wars, I think, always survived more off of how cool the story was and the effects were just a bonus for it being awesome. I bought all of the OT when it came back on sale with the pre-Special Edition discs on it. I've never watched them or opened them, but I have them!

what about Terminator 2, the Black Or White music video, and Jurassic Park?

This is a deeper philosophical discussion, but yes, I feel like the CGI in Jurassic Park looked fakey enough that I could tell where they used CGI and where they used modeled effects. This works in he Matrix because you come to find that it is not a real world they are operating in. Jurassic Park takes place in our world, and I don't get immersed in the illusion. The physics in Star Wars are wrong. Explosions should make no sound in space and parts shouldn't fall "down" from an explosion, but because these were real world miniatures being blown up, to me, the effect is more realistic.

People have pointed out some of the artifacts of the effects from the blue screen. They are definitely there, but I get more sucked into the illusion of Star Wars and a lot of this involves the attention to detail that they put into building actual models and props versus creating virtualized models. They use Newtonian physics to simulate the actions and reactions of the CGI robots, but there is actually something more chaotic going on that is not captured by the equations they use. For this reason, CGI appears sterile to me and I am bored by movies that rely too much on CGI. And I would count the prequels in that. The droids in the prequel are less realistic than the droids in the OT. Am I the only one who thinks this?

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back