ESB Boba Fett Build!!!

Happy New Year Dented Helmet!!!
Just joined a few months ago but the first pieces of my Fett should be in soon.

Helmet -Animefan
T-Visor- Fett Premium from T-Visor.com
Full armor set- KriptonTop on Etsy
Wookie Scalps- CrochetandMorebyGigi- Etsy
Cape- CrochetandMorebyGigi- Etsy
Flight Suit- MOW
Ammo Belt- MOW
Hip Pouches- MOW
Girth Belt- I bought online and will be dying myself. More on that later

I will post the build as it all comes in the mail and the build as I go along.
Stay with me!​

I had never heard of KriptonTop so I looked it up.....That is Cucblack. You will see him referred to here by that name.

Just taking a look at the capes........the ESB on that site looks ok, but the ROTJ version looks a bit to Joann's fabric, (light weight fabric) depending on which version you are doing you might end up upgrading that relatively quick.

Welcome to the forums, hope to see you enjoy your build.

Update on all the paints and gear I have! Airbrush is in the mail! Staying with Humbrol paints and using a template I have found on the forum. bobafettcolors.jpgIMG_2744.JPG

Also snatched up the last Fettinator Animefan/ DVH RF kit w/ microswitch. Great set up! cannot wait to install it next week! If he ever sells some more I'd do business with him! I also just purchased a servo kit from Arther aka Salamanderking! And another shoutout to JoshuaSKane! His chest display will be here in the next day or two and look forward to reviewing his product here!
IMG_2746.JPG

If you want a very helpful tip add a few drops of food coloring to your masking fluid so it will stand out more when you apply it.

Ya know, that does sound like a good idea, and it does make the mask easier to see, but I found the color I used (green, I had a bunch to spare) leached into the light yellow damage areas on the shoulder and knee armor, to the extent I had to repaint those areas. Just a caution, may be my bad luck, but after I switched to Micro Mask, which is a natural dark blue and never had another problem.

Ya know, that does sound like a good idea, and it does make the mask easier to see, but I found the color I used (green, I had a bunch to spare) leached into the light yellow damage areas on the shoulder and knee armor, to the extent I had to repaint those areas. Just a caution, may be my bad luck, but after I switched to Micro Mask, which is a natural dark blue and never had another problem.

When I first added color to my Windsor and newton masking fluid I was worried that would happen but never had a problem. Maybe because I only used it on my helmet and not any areas with yellow.

I have some Micro Mask but have never used it, Maybe next go round I will try it.

Just got Hotpockets ESB chest display! Great product and I recommend it if anyone is looking for a chest display for their Fett. Not sure how I will attach it. I'm considering using elastic fabric like I have seen other people use. But I am also thinking about using hot glue. Seems like it would be easy to remove for maintenance. Does anyone have any suggestions? I do have a while until I install it but I like to plan ahead!
fullsizeoutput_2e6.jpeg

Just got Hotpockets ESB chest display! Great product and I recommend it if anyone is looking for a chest display for their Fett. Not sure how I will attach it. I'm considering using elastic fabric like I have seen other people use. But I am also thinking about using hot glue. Seems like it would be easy to remove for maintenance. Does anyone have any suggestions? I do have a while until I install it but I like to plan ahead!
View attachment 106087

Mounting that board looks like it may be more difficult than my Fettronics board, as Jon's has some extra space around the display with holes prepunched in the board.
IMG_1507.jpg

I was able to use those to screw in nylon screws which I used as "legs" to then secure the boards behind my cutouts with hot glue. You may want to try duct tape or elastic, or check with Hotpockets for the best method.

Temporarily tape it in place, getting your alignment. Then come back with hot glue, and add a bead of glue around the edges. Works very well.

View attachment 106087

Horrible days can always be cheered up with a piece of Fett in the mail. My armor just came in!!!! Beautiful but fragile work. I will be trimming tonight or tomorrrow and this weekend hopefully fiberglassing the insides of the armor to add some strength. After that give them a good wash and throw on some primer.
IMG_2770.JPG

how thin is it? Most plastic vac-formed armor doesn't require fiber-glassing. But if it does be careful with the heat from the fiberglass. If it is thin enough to worry about it may be thin enough to warp with the heat from the fiberglass.

^^^^^ What he said.
I wouldn't glass that kidney plate until you figure out where you want it. I can tell you right now just by looking at it that you're going to have issues with it due to the way it's shaped. Either way I wish you good luck with it, I hope it goes well!

how thin is it? Most plastic vac-formed armor doesn't require fiber-glassing. But if it does be careful with the heat from the fiberglass. If it is thin enough to worry about it may be thin enough to warp with the heat from the fiberglass.

It is thin but I do think it will need some strengthening. I figured it would be thin but not this thin. Some pieces might not. The kidney plate is what worries me. Any suggestions? The kidney plates is flexible once I trimmed it up. I know I didn't trim too much. I was careful

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited by a moderator:
His site says it is 2mm HIPS which should be fine. It isn't the toughest material in the world but there have been tons of stormtroopers wearing that for years. Some flexibility in the armor is not a problem as long as it isn't cracking. You might be better to reinforce with a second layer of plastic instead of fiberglass. That would just consist of adding some strips to stress areas.

Unfortunately HIPS (styrene) is notorious for cracking, especially for armor (which is why I never use it). Might not be a bad idea at all to glass it. Just make sure you sand all the surface down with rough grit before you do, of course. The only thing is that now it makes it non- flexible, so keep that in mind.
One thing that you have to remember about thicknesses of plastic is that whatever thickness you start off with before vaccing it, is that it is no longer that thickness anymore after a pull. Since the plastic stretches over the mold, what was once 2mm is now 1.5mm or possibly even 1mm in some areas.

Just got done finishing trimming and shaping the armor. Really proud of it so far. Thanks for the advice everyone! Knees will get attention tomorrow and probably drill hole for the the studs.

I was wondering what you all use to attach your armor to your flak vest and flightsuit? I was thinking snaps and Velcro.
ed12914c4f2fa8b8131deba03b8bb602.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back