Prepro "Eyes" Helmet Thread

Lynn TXP 0369

Well-Known Hunter
Pre-Pro "Eyes" Helmet

I have been gathering info on this helmet also and I will be turning my MH Jango helmet into this one...
I will list some color observations I have noticed, see if you agree...

The main dome and lower cheeks do look bluish green.

1) right ear... weatherd silver on RF ear plate like ROTJ, middle ear new looking silver, lower ear dark green.

2) left ear... light grey slighly weatherd.

3) key hole area... Yellow

4) 18-19 orange (same color as ROTJ) kill marks on helmet.

5) Rabbit ears (eyes)... same color as cheecks

6) green weathering in red visor area nd charcoal cheeck area.

7) visor area... same red as ESB, just not weatherd so dark.

These are things I have observed while studying the SW Chronicals pics, I have sent this same info to Tylerdurdan and RougeStudios to see if the concour as well and I'm waiting to here back.

LYnn

I could be off on these, but this is my inital impression of the helmet:

1) right ear piece.... Top ear RF plate, silver like on ROTJ, middle shiny "new" look steel/silver, lower ear dark green.
The ear is definatly not one color like ESB or ROTJ.

prepro.helmet.jpg

Check out my image above. I think the top ear plate is a lightly misted or weathered version of the bottom color of the RF ear, which is pretty solid (looks almost like the base helmet color). The middle section of the upper RF ear cap is pretty bare, which makes it have more metal showing. I do believe you are seeing the same color throught, but not distributed equally like in Jedi or Empire.

2) left ear piece... light Grey slightly weathered on the back lower ear, it does not appear to look like silver to me at all like ROTJ or green either.

The left ear piece is tough, but it looks to me like a painted bare metal look. Key word painted. Or a very light grey. I'd say it looks somewhat like the 2nd Prepro ear color with some brush stroke weathering near the bottom.

3) 18-19 orange (same color as ROTJ) "kill" marks on helmet. It took a couple pics, counting from weathering referance points to get the count, as the one side shot is glared in the front making the front marks not visable, but they are in other pics.

I count 18 stripes. The stripes look a tad lighter than the Jedi- almost like the darkest rear stripes on the Empire. Again, tough to have a definite answer on that, so opinions will vary.

4) green weathering (dome/cheek color) on various areas on the red visor area and upper left charcoal cheek.

Yes the dome/cheek color seems to be peeking right through the weathered areas.

5) rabbit ears, same color as cheeks.

The rabbit ears seem to be a more solid version of the cheek color, which appears to be brushed on.

6) possible "yellow" weathering along the edges of the gash damage. It is hard to tell, the top view of te helmet looks like it is, but another shot..?..

I think the yellow is simply a reflection in that top shot of the gash. I think it is just silver weathering with some of that "darker dome color" weathering outlining it.

Again, there is very little ref. So, I could be way off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your replies, Lynn and TD:) Nice to get going on these colors too. Unforunately my FTP is down and so the pics do not show. I also forgot my digital camera at home so no new pics until tomorrow. I have a color chart done wich is just an impression and compromise from the different photos. I do not see any yellow though. I think that the red sometimes gives the impression of being orange/yellow sometimes in the brighter shots.

These are the basic colors i see:

1.Dome/Cheeks-A pretty bright blue(apears somewhat purple in some shots)
2.Visor area/key slot area(?)-Red just like the ROTJ red. I think the ESB red have a little more blue mixed into it while the ROTJ is more warmer.
3.Rear-Like the Blue on the dome & Cheeks, only darker.
4.RF Earpiece - Blueish. Almost just like the dome. The other
lloks silver and so do the middle section of the RF earpiece.
5. Arrows - Left one-same red. Right one- Looks like the same dark color used on the cheeks. Both of these looks more faded than on the other areas.

The color for the scratches looks just like grey to me while in the rear the weathering looks like a darker than the dome blue with just a very little red to it.

These shots available are actually very very good. Too bad there's just lack of shots of the rear for weathering and scratches.

Thanks for your input guys! Much appreciated:)

-Mikael

micke wrote:

I do not see any yellow though. I think that the red sometimes gives the impression of being orange/yellow sometimes in the brighter shots.
These are the basic colors i see:
2.Visor area/key slot area(?)-Red just like the ROTJ red. I think the ESB red have a little more blue mixed into it while the ROTJ is more warmer.
-Mikael

Check the only pic of the back of the helmet in the SW Chronicals book really close, the key hole area is yellow, there is no mistaking it due to flash or a brighter shot.

ROTJ's key hole area is grey, not red... :) you ESB guys sheeesh.. ;)

Lets keep this going....
Lynn

Lynn

tylerdurden wrote:

I could be off on these, but this is my inital impression of the helmet:

1) right ear piece.... Top ear RF plate, silver like on ROTJ, middle shiny "new" look steel/silver, lower ear dark green.
The ear is definatly not one color like ESB or ROTJ.

prepro.helmet.jpg

Check out my image above. I think the top ear plate is a lightly misted or weathered version of the bottom color of the RF ear, which is pretty solid (looks almost like the base helmet color). The middle section of the upper RF ear cap is pretty bare, which makes it have more metal showing. I do believe you are seeing the same color throught, but not distributed equally like in Jedi or Empire.

Good info Dan....
My observations.

Are the Chronicals pics on line anywhere??

I think there is too much flash was out in that pic, Check all the pics of the side shots of the right ear where there isvery little flash wash out, there appears to be a subtantial difference in the ear piece top and bottom, even the black and white shot of the side looks like the color shots.

The bottom of the ear appears a dark green too me and then top appears to be ROTJ like.

I totally agree on the middle section.

Lynn

We ESB guys are just a little too observant! There is definitely some red under that key slot area. But I would have to say it has a good deal of beat-up grey over it.

jedi.keyholes.jpg

I still have to stay with the RF side being the same color. However, it looks more like overspray (sloppy painting) than a deliberate misting on the RF cap.

prepro2.jpg

prepro3.jpg

prepro4.jpg

tylerdurden wrote:

We ESB guys are just a little too observant! There is definitely some red under that key slot area. But I would have to say it has a good deal of beat-up grey over it.
jedi.keyholes.jpg

You don't miss a thing!! :lol: :lol:

You got a pic of the back of the helmet to show Mikeal the yellow keyhole area we already talked about??

Can I scream..??.. :lol: :lol:
Those scanned pic colors look waaaay "different to me" then my actual book pics do..... That is what is making it even harder. My Chronicals book pics look dark green on the bottom ear, even my wife looked at them and said what color they looked to her when I asked. :/

I see what your saying about the lower ear piece possibly being the solid color of the dome, if that were the case, then the dome would have to be heavly lightned down and weatherd and the ear almost totally untouched as far as being lightend down, the black and white pic makes it look night and day difference.

I was looking at the pics again in the book and what is throwing me off on the ear cap is the weathering on it, it is making look like steel to me, but I tend to agree now it is more of the same color as the bottom ear as you stated but because of the weathering and flash in some pics looks steel.....

It is bed time now..... :lol:

Lynn

YellowBack.jpg
ESBslots.jpg

These two shots show a comparison of the Pre Pro and ESB helmets. While not exactly the same lighting, or angle, it seems that there is a difference in color. I would guess that the red of the visor would be close to the red on the jet pack, if that's the case, then it doesn't look like the key slots are the same color. I think that the Pre Pro key slots are the jet pack yellow, misted lightly with red for an orangish effect.

On the other hand... The pic of the ESB slots show some fading due to lighting conditions, and you could almost imagine the lighting making them a bit orange.

Typical me i could'nt wait so i've already painted the basic colors. I went for a bluish color for the dome/rear and cheeks and a ESB red for the area round the visor and keyhole area. I'm still in doubt about the yellow. I think Blastech have a point. The red might be reflecting so that it looks like a yellowish hue. Look at the brightest areas with the red on the JP and compare it to the keyslot area on the rear of the helmet. I think that's a possibility but who knows. I might have to paint it in another color when the truth comes;)

Tyler Durden:
The shot of the keyhole area that you posted. Is it a shot from the Pre-pro helmet or the ROTJ?? I'm a bit confused.

Helmet looks good so far I'm happy with how it turned out. Too bad my FTP is still down. Othervise i would have pics.

Could anyone host some in the meantime?

Thanks
-Mikael

I'd have to disagree. If the Prepro keyslots were red, I just cannot see it being washed out to that degree. You can see the red band running across the rear of the prepro helmet doesn't have that lighting issue and is very clearly red.

Here is another possibility on the keyslots: white. In fact when I first saw the rear of that helmet, I thought they were white, meaning the keyslots were simply unfinished/not painted. So, I could see white/off-white/light grey or maybe yellow, but I just can't see the slots being red with just the one photo as evidence. I could be wrong, though!

Micke, that is the slot for the Jedi helmet. :)

micke wrote:

I'm still in doubt about the yellow. I think Blastech have a point. The red might be reflecting so that it looks like a yellowish hue. Look at the brightest areas with the red on the JP and compare it to the keyslot area on the rear of the helmet. I think that's a possibility but who knows. I might have to paint it in another color when the truth comes;)

Tyler Durden:
The shot of the keyhole area that you posted. Is it a shot from the Pre-pro helmet or the ROTJ?? I'm a bit confused.

I'm not sure about the key slots either. They will have to re repainted later when more evidence has surfaced. Chances for that more new photos of this helmet will be discovered are pretty small, but who knows. There are things uncovered here all the time:)

prepro4.jpg

Here's some pics of my helmet with some colors on it.
What do you all think? It always looks naked without any battle damage and weathering. My ESB helmet looked awful in the beginning. Especially the red. Most of these colors will look a bit darker after clearcoating it(dull). My other helmet did that and it was exactly like i was hoping for. it
kinda brought the whole thing together.
Feeback would be great:)

Thanks!
-Mikael

Looking good Micke!

Yeah, they always look off without the damage. Too clean and bright.

I'll be watching your progress with interest, and looking forward to hearing from you. ;)

Si

Looking good, the pic with and without flash changes the colors drastically. What colors did you use for the main dome and lower cheeks?
I still feel the keyholes are yellow, but we'll see what turns up, mine will be getting painted yellow. It can always be changed if better proof turns up. :)
Lynn

Thanks, guys!
All the colors are custom mixed with Gouache. It's looking very bright, but with some weathering and clearcoat i think it will turn out ok.

Edit: Damn typos.
-Mikael

By all of the colors you mean all of them? The red is custom mixed? If so...Damn. It looks really good. I can't wait to see how it looks when it is all done.

Predatormv: Yes all the colors are custom mixed. Thanks!

Update:
I've done some weathering to the helmet, added the scratches and the weird rabbit ears markings on the dome + i sprayed it with some clearcoat and the colors match even more now:) The red got darker and the blue too. I nearly screwed up the marking on the dome when my Girlfirend talked to me and absolutely needed my attention when i was painting. They do not line up perfectly, but i hope it is'nt too noticeable.

I'm leaning more towards the yellow keyslot area theory now. Maybe they are the same color as the shoulders? Look at them in the pic from the rear and compare it to the keyslot area. They look almost completely identical. Looks like i might have to repaint afterall;) Mine is red at the moment.

Pics will be added tomorrow morning!

-Mikael

Cool, I can't wait to see the pics! Did you paint the rabbit ears by hand, or mask and spray?

I'm gathering paint for mine now, I founds some really good model master colors that I will do my misting thing I like so much.

I will do a base of Moss green and then do the helicoptor blues over that to try and get the color I want.

I will use redprimer misted with another color and then darkend with washes for the visor area.

I think the key holes better match the JP color that is posted in the thread.

Lynn

Cant wait to see your helmet either, Lynn. I'm very exited about this since i have'nt seen anyone doing this helmet before:)Lynn, is your RF cap bigger than the one on the helmet? My seem to not line up very well. Might have to sand it down to make it fit good.

The rabbit ears are just painted on. I rarely use spray color since it's difficult to the exact colors i want here in Norway. I just paint everything on with Gouache and a brush;)

Oh, i used a chrome spray for the earpieces and i misted them slightly with a grey primer just to dull them down a bit. So far it looks promising i think.

Next i will do the grey scratch areas and the darker blue in the rear+ the kill-stripes(or marks).

This thread is more than 19 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back