Other Bounty Hunter McQuarrie Concept Fett V2.

Okay silicone is done, mohawk on, it's time for the shell!

7eefbb81d03b97b01408561b0d453c63.jpg

93bea3341214d3c0ef028196b21878c7.jpg

Sent from a potato.

Toral failure! I've casted the first helmet and it turned out awful! The problem is that there was air trapped in between the silicone and the mother mold so the whole. Helmet got bent and wavy on a lot of spots . And the problem is that some of then are so bad that it can not be fixed with sanding and filling.

301452aa24afd280fcb1491aecae010e.jpg
e87a14cb30e948ace32bf37b7d391ed6.jpg

9d8027158e18dc9d4b88bcd443990c2f.jpg

Sent from a potato.

Ok I've tried to drill holes on the mother mold. I would say its a half succes. In some areas it works in some it wont. :/
So the last resort solution is that Im going to use some easy-tack spray adhesive to stick the silicone in. Im not worried about ripping the silicone because this glue is really weak it just makes the surface sticky enough so the silicone stays in place until I do the casting then I can remove it without any problems.

Sent from a potato.

What I'm seeing in your silicone jacket is similar to my what I've experienced before when I've had a really bumpy/irregular surface on the silicone jacket itself. The fiberglass mother mold never quite aligns correctly when you put it all back together with the jacket....so you get those dips in the cast. The thing I learned to do is add a couple more thin layers over the brushed layer to smooth things out...even using a razor to cut off any little peaks in the silicone 1st.

One thing you could try is to sand out any small bumps in that area inside the mother mold or trim the bumps and points off the silicone jacket...it's not going to be perfect, but maybe you can avoid starting over.

Well thats also a good idea! Thanks! Im not going for a perfect cast just for an OK cast that I can sell a few so I can make an improved version .

Sent from a potato.

Okay on week days I cant really work on the helmet itself but I had the chance to make the rangefinder kit in 3D so it can be printed. The dimensions:

Antenna piece:

160mm x 20mm x 5mm

Rangfinder:

45mm x 35mm x 20mm

And the screw looking thin on the back:

35mm x 12 mm

db93475f3a93e12a23892a2ba65c885f.jpg

Sent from a potato.

Okay its bern a while. I made a 2nd cast of the helmet and lets say.... its not that bad. I solved the problem of the bent ear pirce atleast. The dome is worse then the previous one but nothing that a "little" filler and sand paper could not handle. Actually Im happier with the second helmet so im hoing to fill it sand it and when its good Im going to make a new mold of it with waaaaaaaay much more silicone!

New helmet on the right, old one on the left. As you can see the earpiece is not that bent (still wavy but better)

132115e384b8fe40d9a18628590577b4.jpg

Sent from a potato.

Today the printing of my 3D parts have started finally! The rangefinder is complete! Respirators are on their way! I'll have them probably next week until then here's a picture of the finished parts:

15ccc197d71410d55cec9a9d7e601904.jpg

Sent from a potato.

What scanning method did you use to import the dimensions into the printer? Did you need to scan them manually? Because my school has a 3D printers, and I was hoping to make some copies of some greeblies in case I break or lose anything ;)

What scanning method did you use to import the dimensions into the printer? Did you need to scan them manually? Because my school has a 3D printers, and I was hoping to make some copies of some greeblies in case I break or lose anything ;)

Well. I dont really understand your question here. I made the models in sketchup, figured out the measurments by looking at my helmet, placed them in a way so the printer dont have to use tons of support material and thats it.

Sent from a potato.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back