General First time build

kunak

New Hunter
I'm going to create a Boba Fett costume, so I have some question that I hope that some of you lovely people can help me with a link or anything. I will properly find the answer sooner or later, but this will help me so much.

What material are the best to use for the armor?
Which template have you used for your armor?
What is your visor made out of?
How do you attach the armor to the cloth?
How do you scale the armor? I'm 5'4

I have tried to find the answers on the site, but with zero knowledge on how to create a great looking costume, I'm really on ground zero with this one.

I really hope that you guys and girls could help a first timer out here, with some links or your knowledge!

I really hope that it's okay to make this post, if not feel free to delete it.

Best material for armor:
Sintra/expanded foam core. I couldn't find any online or in stores so I used PVC pipe that I cut up and heated into shape.

Templates:
Alan Sinclair made some good ones but I free handed mine.

Attaching armor to vest:
I attached my armor with snaps. That's the best way to do it but you could also use Velcro.

If you need any help with anything feel free to pm me:)

Alex

Question; is this to be just a halloween costume or for more frequent use/501st application? I ask because if it's just for a halloween, try using illustration board. It's not as durable or moldable as the PVC but might be good enough. I did that last year but over the past year my costume has been improved upon to be more of a 501st one.

My visor is sheet styrene with window tint applied. For armor attachment, I initially used velcro, then magnets, then post screws.

I'm going to use it for a theme party next year, so not 501st (Pretty high-class stuff right?) However I will like it to be one of the best costumes there, and I have until July next year to make it.

Question; is this to be just a halloween costume or for more frequent use/501st application? I ask because if it's just for a halloween, try using illustration board. It's not as durable or moldable as the PVC but might be good enough. I did that last year but over the past year my costume has been improved upon to be more of a 501st one.

My visor is sheet styrene with window tint applied. For armor attachment, I initially used velcro, then magnets, then post screws.
I never used magnets. How did they preform during wear?

Originally I used Velcro on my first suit and on my second one (still in progress) uses snaps. The snaps seem to work great!

Alex

I never used magnets. How did they preform during wear?

Originally I used Velcro on my first suit and on my second one (still in progress) uses snaps. The snaps seem to work great!

Alex

The magnets I used were 1/2" dia. and so too small and not strong enough, but very easy to attach armor. Some magnets had a habit of attracting to each other like if I reached across my chest, but easily fixed. If I had gotten 3/4" magnets I expect they would have worked great. Instead I went for the screwpost/grommet method which is pretty foolproof.

I use magnets and the only issue I have is with the neck ones breaking off once in a while. Otherwise they work perfect

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back