Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Jan 2017
    Jan 19, 2017, 11:09 PM - Re: Boushh Helmet/Costume Build by alvo #76

This is so amazing and very impressive. Great work!
  2. Become a member for 90 days and create 50 posts and you won't see these ads.Register now!
    Jan 22, 2017, 12:31 PM - Re: Boushh Helmet/Costume Build by alvo #77

That's commitment. Doing modifying work like that to finished pieces always scares the heck out of me. You did a really good job!
  4. Jan 23, 2017, 3:48 PM - Re: Boushh Helmet/Costume Build by alvo #78

Quote Greedo10360 said: View Post
    This is so amazing and very impressive. Great work!
    Thanks!

Quote le1120 said: View Post
    That's commitment. Doing modifying work like that to finished pieces always scares the heck out of me. You did a really good job!
    Yea, I really didn't want to have to modify the armour but I really saw no other way around it. Luckily the paint job is pretty straight forward. And with the modified collar, it is much more comfortable now to wear with a helmet.

Also, hooray for page 4!!
  5. Member Since
    Jan 2017
    Jan 24, 2017, 4:14 AM - Re: Boushh Helmet/Costume Build by alvo #79

wow looks great, I am making a boushh for my daughter. I will be checking this post a lot for all the great info, The pants is the part I am worried about the most
  6. Feb 13, 2017, 9:46 AM - Re: Boushh Helmet/Costume Build by alvo #80

OK! So after a busy New Year (3 Boushh commission builds back to back to back) I'm back to working on finishing my own Boushh costume. I'm so close to completing it.

I took on the belt/belt buckle last week, and am pretty happy with the results. I didn't want to spend $30 to get a 3D printed buckle, so I thought I'd take a crack at building one myself.

I picked up a raw leather strap from Tandy Leather for about $30, as well as a plain unfinished belt buckle for a couple bucks. I've found that Tandy Leather really is a good one stop shop if you're wanting materials to build the belt. For the belt I used a Saddle Tan color dye (also from Tandy). I put on a couple coats of the dye (the leather really soaks it up) to make the color even. It goes on dark, and lightens up quite a bit when it dries.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8626.JPG 
Views:	211 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	107184Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8635.JPG 
Views:	212 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	107186

For the buckle, I started with a piece of ABS model plastic (2mm) cut to the same size as the buckle face. I cut out the oval shape with a router tool and sanded it smooth by hand. I used some contact cement to glue it to the buckle, clamping it for a couple hours while it cured.

Name:	IMG_8631.JPG 
Views:	210 
Size:	2.25 MB 
ID:	107188Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8632.JPG 
Views:	205 
Size:	1.62 MB 
ID:	107190

I didn't want any seams on the edges, so I puttied and sanded all along the outer edge.

Name:	IMG_8634.JPG 
Views:	204 
Size:	949.5 KB 
ID:	107191

For the half round "button", we'll call it, I used the top of a bolt. I used some epoxy putty to form the round top, which I later sanded smooth. I cut the top off with a hack saw, then sanded the base smooth so it would sit flat.

Name:	IMG_8639.JPG 
Views:	203 
Size:	965.5 KB 
ID:	107192Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8640.JPG 
Views:	206 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	107193

For the paint, it was a pretty simple task of primer, black base then silver dry brushing. Finished off with a matte clear coat. Easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy, as my kids say.

Name:	IMG_8643.JPG 
Views:	203 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	107194Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8645.JPG 
Views:	201 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	107195Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8648.JPG 
Views:	199 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	107196

The only major components I have left on the build are the tanks and pants. I've started the pants, but sort of stalled on them when I ran out of leather. I purchased some leather to finish them, but I was disappointed that the leather would not match perfectly. So I haven't moved forward with them yet. Then, get this, about a month ago I thought I'd just have a look on ebay and see if I could find a pair of leather pants that were similar in color so I could get some leather that would match so I could finish the pants. I did a quick search "tan leather pants" and the very first item on the list was another pair of the exact same pants I purchased 4 months ago! Talk about fluke! And only for $15! So I've got those ready and am really happy I've got matching leather now.

Anyway, more to come. With being this close to completing the build I am more determined than ever to finish. It's been a lot of work, but I'm really hoping by the time I'm finished that this will be the most complete and thorough build thread out there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8635.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	107185   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8631.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	2.14 MB 
ID:	107187   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8632.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	107189  

Feb 13, 2017, 11:18 AM - Re: Boushh Helmet/Costume Build by alvo #81

Coming along very nicely! Great work and effort as well as great documentation
    Feb 23, 2017, 11:47 PM - Re: Boushh Helmet/Costume Build by alvo #82

Awesome find on the boots Annie, do you mind sharing the name of the boots or Amazon link, looks like we will be making the plunge into this build as well. Did the size up help in giving you more spare or do they run big or small. Thanks for your help.

Quote alvomedia said: View Post
    I picked up these boots on amazon for $15 and I'm seriously impressed that they aren't total garbage. Yes, they are made from totally synthetic material, but you only see the toe of the boot, so why spend more than you need to? The color is perfect, and I think they are a great match. I got half a size larger than I usually do so I can put a good supportive insole in them to make them nice and comfortable.

Attachment 103468Attachment 103467

9. Feb 24, 2017, 12:47 AM - Re: Boushh Helmet/Costume Build by alvo #83

Yes, here is the boot I got on Amazon. Thanks for asking about it. I had meant to put up a link for those interested getting a similar boot, but of course forgot. I usually wear a 7.5 and instead got an 8. I am happy I went half a size up, as it will give a nice amount of room for an extra comfy foot insert. I would say they probably run true to size. A 7.5 would have probably been right on, but half a size up helps if you want to add an insert.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...TF8&th=1&psc=1

Also, I haven't put this in my thread yet but these are the gloves I got as well. They are not leather, but still look great. The material and fit makes them nice if you need to use your hands with phones, adjusting costume pieces, etc. But because they aren't leather I've found the material occasionally catches on the velcro costume pieces.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Good luck with your build! I've sure had fun with mine so far!

Quote TAguirre said: View Post
    Awesome find on the boots Annie, do you mind sharing the name of the boots or Amazon link, looks like we will be making the plunge into this build as well. Did the size up help in giving you more spare or do they run big or small. Thanks for your help.
    Feb 24, 2017, 1:53 AM - Re: Boushh Helmet/Costume Build by alvo #84

amazing!!
  11. Member Since
    Feb 2017
    Apr 17, 2017, 6:17 AM - Re: Boushh Helmet/Costume Build by alvo #85

For your bandolier weathering. I see you used shoe polish. Did you use anything to seal the polish? Or did it "soak in" permanently?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  12. 3 Weeks Ago - Apr 30, 2017, 9:51 PM - Re: Boushh Helmet/Costume Build by alvo #86

Quote DRTHM8TR said: View Post
    For your bandolier weathering. I see you used shoe polish. Did you use anything to seal the polish? Or did it "soak in" permanently?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't use anything to seal in the polish, but I really tried to rub the polish into the webbing. I just kept rubbing it into the webbing until nothing was coming off on the rag I used. There hasn't been any incident where the polish has come off onto the tunic, or gloves in any way.
  13. Member Since
    Mar 2017
    1 Week Ago - May 15, 2017, 4:47 PM - Re: Boushh Helmet/Costume Build by alvo #87

Sometimes I think I like the boushh costume better than boba fett!!!

Last edited by enaswede; 1 Week Ago at 8:00 AM.