Sintra questions

bpwmd

Hunter
ok guys i have another question
Im thinking about pulling the trigger and buying Sintra for the back and neck armor as well as the codpiece.*
its going to be expensive for me to ship up here but i can get better prices for smaller peices. so
1)how can i join 2 pieces with a butt joint.and do i need to reinforce that seem by adding a sintra strip to the back of the seem.
2) do i need to reinforce the back panel as large as it is

Sent from my Nexus 6

When I'm using sintra or plastic sheet like styrene or whatever I just hold the 2 pieces I'm gluing in place and use the thinnest CA/super/crazy glue I can find and let it seep in between the crack. That pretty much holds it tight. If the 2 pieces are glued end to end you will need some kind of backer strip to keep them from breaking apart.

For the larger piece reinforcement you could add a layer or 2 of polyester resin and fiberglass mat. You may need to rough it up a little though. I'm not sure how well the polyester adheres to pvc sheeting.

Man, I'm a big fan of the sintra, that being said, depending on where "up here" you are, if the cost of the shipping and of the Sintra itself is too much, you might consider just buying the back plate piece from RKD. He got mine to me in a week or less. I was debating on making mine from Sintra like the rest of my armor, but I was a little intimidated of the many angles on that back piece. I did make my cod out of sintra/bondo, and that wasn't bad. I still need to make the little blocks on the side of the cod and do some dents and final sanding. I also bought the collar piece from him as well just so they would mate up right.
Just a thought. But you may have mad skills like some of the other guys on here and want to tackle it.
Good luck either way you go.

Man, I'm a big fan of the sintra, that being said, depending on where "up here" you are, if the cost of the shipping and of the Sintra itself is too much, you might consider just buying the back plate piece from RKD. He got mine to me in a week or less. I was debating on making mine from Sintra like the rest of my armor, but I was a little intimidated of the many angles on that back piece. I did make my cod out of sintra/bondo, and that wasn't bad. I still need to make the little blocks on the side of the cod and do some dents and final sanding. I also bought the collar piece from him as well just so they would mate up right.
Just a thought. But you may have mad skills like some of the other guys on here and want to tackle it.
Good luck either way you go.
Up here. Juneau Alaska. No roads.

Sent from my Nexus 6

1) You definitely would need a back overlapping strip for any edge-to-edge joint. Sintra is fairly flexible, so I use PVC glue like plumbers use. It chemically welds the plastic together, and also is flexible. Takes a long time to fully cure.

2) If you can get a piece of sintra large enough, I'd do that. Normally the back plate is one piece. If you can't get a large enough sheet to make it one piece, a logical place for joints is where the lower sides join the main plate, although it could make for a weak spot. Lots of back reinforcement would be good I think.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back