Back Panel concrete color

Furious

Active Hunter
I am wondering if anyone has any good substitutions for the tan on the back panels that is a bottled color. I have used the humbrol 28 misted with 103 in the past but I was just wondering if there is anything straight from the bottle that is a good alternative. I know the color used to be Floquil Concrete... is there anything close to that out there?

There is no issue applying acrylic over enamel or vice versa so long as both are dry but as you would usually wait for each coat to be properly dry before applying the next this doesn't matter. They do not react to each other.

I've heard MM Light Sea Gray cited as a possible alternative and they definitely do that in enamel. I have some and it's certainly similar but it doesn't have that slight brown tinge the floquil concrete does but it is very close. I don't know the MM concrete to comment on it. If you hold out some floquil concrete will come up.

That's good to know because the floquil bottles of different generations that i have are the same colour down the years.

I'll pull some out real quick before the gym....let it dry while Im there....its polyscale actually I like acrylics have a few colors here that are all close for those who dont have MM theres tamiya colors also ( i have a paint problem)

You can see the two concretes are very close. Not all the way dry but almost identical. Age has a lot to do with that I'm sure. One is probably as old as 20 years or older. Who knows. The other is from this year.

The Tamiya in a pinch would work. But they're not quite right. I bought them while at the hobby shop as tests.

1ac8e0084f6d5dce1eb064478ea056ee.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

There is no issue applying acrylic over enamel or vice versa so long as both are dry but as you would usually wait for each coat to be properly dry before applying the next this doesn't matter. They do not react to each other.
This is actually exactly what I meant. I can't articulate as well when it's late.

Dom, I think I might have tried that Tamiya dark yellow as a potential color for the RF ear at some point.
I was looking for a substitute for Polly Scale earth but I don't think I liked the dark yellow for some reason.

I have earth here too. I'll put some on a spoon. I think I have an alt color for that also. Might be a humbrol though.

Sent from my iPhone

Dom, I think I might have tried that Tamiya dark yellow as a potential color for the RF ear at some point.
I was looking for a substitute for Polly Scale earth but I don't think I liked the dark yellow for some reason.

XF57 Buff is the color you seek! Pics when its dried but yeh its the same

0067b56131873ef73566b881bde48dda.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's not bad at all. Eventually the old stock of floquil will dry up completely so it's good to know there are some real alternative options. I've spent a fortune on this old paint in the last year or so.

That's not bad at all. Eventually the old stock of floquil will dry up completely so it's good to know there are some real alternative options. I've spent a fortune on this old paint in the last year or so.

With a small amount of brown youd get the right color...even with the rust splatter all over it it would end up being the color you want....

There seem to be really close off the shelf colours for a lot on the RS list; caboose is one I'm not sure on but I've managed to secure enough of most of the old colours that I shouldn't have an issue. I've more earth than I'll ever need, completely by accident I hasten to add. That's another colour that doesn't seem to have changed from my older bottles to the newer iterations.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back