BH-51512's build thread. From trash to 501st

Took Boba out today. Utter disaster. Forgot the girth belt, ammo belt didn't fit after all the layers were on, braids won't stay on, a shoulder pad fell off, and the tubes stuck out too much.

Time for more work!

FWIW, I have my braids secured by a small bit of (black) plastic-coated twist tie and that hooks them to the outer bolt on my shoulder/backplate joint. My shoulder bells are secured to the flak vest by rare earth magnets, but I upped the size to 6mm x 4mm diameter and have not had trouble with them coming loose (3 sets of those on each shoulder). Crumdum (I think) often advises folks to soak your tubes in hot water to get them to bend into the proper shape and stay there, also to trim them (mine are pretty short and I don't have trouble with them sticking out), just don't over do it. Lastly, forgetting stuff sux, so it's good (for me at least) to keep it all in one place (my stuff goes either on it's mannequin or into the bin for transport to an event), and very important: have a helper who's assisted dressing you before so they also know what goes where and in what order to put it on (never troop with out a helper). I've also had the trouble of belts mis-sized when finally fit over everything else (mine was the girth, and OK I've gained a little around the middle since I started all this) so I guess that falls into the "occupational hazard" category. Maybe your ammo belt supplier will exchange the belt part (since the pouches are OK), or you could sell it to a smaller Fett...

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIW, I have my braids secured by a small bit of (black) plastic-coated twist tie and that hooks them to the outer bolt on my shoulder/backplate joint. My shoulder bells are secured to the flak vest by rare earth magnets, but I upped the size to 6mm x 4mm diameter and have not had trouble with them coming loose (3 sets of those on each shoulder). Crumdum (I think) often advises folks to soak your tubes in hot water to get them to bend into the proper shape and stay there, also to trim them (mine are pretty short and I don't have trouble with them sticking out), just don't over do it. Lastly, forgetting stuff sux, so it's good (for me at least) to keep it all in one place (my stuff goes either on it's mannequin or into the bin for transport to an event), and very important: have a helper who's assisted dressing you before so they also know what goes where and in what order to put it on (never troop with out a helper). I've also had the trouble of belts mis-sized when finally fit over everything else (mine was the girth, and OK I've gained a little around the middle since I started all this) so I guess that falls into the "occupational hazard" category. Maybe your ammo belt supplier will exchange the belt part (since the pouches are OK), or you could sell it to a smaller Fett...

I asked DeltaMike and he is willing to make me a new belt without the pouches. As for forgetting stuff, I keep everything on a mannequin but I took my girth belt to the garage to weather it some more and left it out to dry thus forgetting it. I secured all my armor with Chicago screws so I'm adding two to the shoulder bells, they'll never voluntarily come off again. I also just cut my tubes in half and they fit much nicer now. They were really, really long. Do you have a picture of your braid holder?

I use monofilament to secure my braids together and the run the loose ends through the seam line in my vest and tie them together underneath. My 2 cents.

Do you have a picture of your braid holder?

Here you go:
IMG_2014.jpg

IMG_2014.jpg

Took Boba Fett out trooping yesterday. I remembered all of my parts and it went pretty well.
Still waiting to hear from 501st, MMCC told me a few minor things to fix as well as I need a new EE-3.

17629721_10154749580911888_4673959450717890747_n.jpg

17629721_10154749580911888_4673959450717890747_n.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back