Animefan Bucket build and paint

After much scrutiny, I have decided to darken the grey areas, just a tad to light for my liking. This will be painful as I will be repainting each grey spec by hand. Pics to come when finished.

Alright, here's the end of this weekends progress, darkened the back panels. I think the darker grey areas really help the rest of the colors pop out. Also finished the lower cheek areas. Sorry but paint is still drying, will have to wait until tomorrow for the reveal. Upper cheeks will be next.

IMAG1175.jpgIMAG1176.jpgIMAG1177.jpg

Is this the budget kit he offers? I am gonna pick one up myself, it looks awesome. Also I wondering what source you used to mimic the damage? Or did you just google images?

Yes, this is the Animefan budget helmet kit. I'm using Raffelfets stencils, you can find here on TDH.

And the lower cheeks reveal. I must say I am very pleased. Ive already masked off the upper cheeks with tape to prepare them for stencils and paint this weekend. Once the upper cheeks are done it will eally star looking like a Fett helmet, I dont know why but on every paint up Ive seen it never really starts to come together until the upper and lower cheeks are done. Im saving all the misting and weathering till the end.

IMAG1178.jpgIMAG1179.jpg

It looks amazing, i think its the contrast between the light and dark greens that really bring the helmet to life when you look at it front on thats why it seems to come together after that

And main paint on the dome complete, just need to add the fine scratches and kill stripes then I can un-tape the lower half of the helmet, figured Id just have to re-mask for the kill stripes so ill just leave it on for now.

IMAG1197.jpgIMAG1198.jpgIMAG1199.jpgIMAG1200.jpgIMAG1201.jpg

So here's what Ive got today. Still have to go in with the pick tool for the fine scratches around the dome, but the hard labor is complete. So this is the first time using an airbrush to completely paint a bucket, I have a question for the more talented painters out there. How do I get the worn weathered look. Ive got all the details and scratches and so forth, but to me it still looks too clean. A black wash maybe? I still have to add the misting around the dent and bottom of the cheeks, but what about the rest of the helmet. Any insight is much appreciated. thanks.

IMAG1202.jpgIMAG1203.jpgIMAG1204.jpgIMAG1205.jpgIMAG1206.jpg

You're really motoring. I thought the hard work was done when i only had the red sections left to go but actually they're deceptively laborious. By area the front and back are larger than those super time consuming back panels and with the same number of colours the number of layers is the same. I was amazed how much time they took up. Any chance of some shots in more natural light, it looks like the ISO is working overtime in those pictures?

Yeah I'm on leave right now, so I've got a bunch of extra time to work on it. More so than usual. I'm working on better lighting, old house, old lights lol. I wish my camera picked up the same colors I see. I might just get a better lamp and aim it right at the bucket for a round of pics later.

I'm actually using testors enamels, I know the colors aren't 100% accurate, but I'm quite satisfied with the outcomes, and I've even impressed myself with a few of the custom blends I've had to throw together lol. My only concern is the finish/weathering, I'm still an airbrush novice so getting that finished weathered look without sanding all the layers off still eludes me. I may try a backwash. What did you do?

Ok so I was playing with the camera on my phone and found the "indoor light setting". So hopefully these pics will show the colors a bit better. Would have shown the finished ear cap for the range finder except I had a minor catastrophic incident, when I had the black arc masked out and painted I went to peel off the tape and ended up peeling of a huge chunk right down to the white base. I guess the primer wasnt set proberly or something. Im pretty sure I can salvage it, but if not at least its a small piece to repaint.

IMAG1221.jpgIMAG1222.jpgIMAG1223.jpgIMAG1224.jpgIMAG1225.jpgIMAG1226.jpgIMAG1227.jpgIMAG1228.jpg

Definitely don't "backwash"!!! Try picking up some pastels at an art/craft store. I love them for grime and blast marks. You can use it around the edge of your dent too. Superjedi uses them too, so they are pro approved!
My lid is oscar tango whiskey! Real excited!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back