Boushh Peanut's WIP Build

Peanut

New Hunter
Hi all! My name is Ashlynn and I live in Utah. After completing a jawa, I decided that my next project is going to be a Boushh bounty hunter. I'm 5' 1" so I think I'm the perfect height for it. Isn't Carrie Fisher that same height?

Anyways, I already bought the helmet and am currently working on that. But I'm also planning on tackling the rest of the ensemble. And I need help. I'm actually taking a trip to Los Angeles next week. And near downtown, there's an amazing fabric district in which many of Hollywood's costume designers go to look for fabric. I think this would be the perfect place to find the material for making the Boushh. But I don't have any high-res images of the cape, spats, pants, inner and outer tunic. I was wondering if anyone might be able to provide some high-res photos, or descriptions of what materials I should seek.

Please, if anyone can provide some descriptions and images, I promise that my first bounty capture will be signed over to you. ;)

the best place I've seen for images of Boushh is the Star Wars- Costumes book by Brandon Alinger, there are really good shots of Boushh in that book. If you can't get a copy maybe google it and see if them images come up ?

There are a number of good photos of Boushh from one of the tours on the Boushh Builders Group (Login Required | The Boushh Builders Group). There isn't much activity on there but there is some good information & reference photos.

The Bounty Hunters Guild site (thebhg.net) also has a lot of good reference with a number of WIP threads & some reference photos.

As for the materials the costume is primarily pig suede, upper tunic, leggings, gloves & undershirt.

The pants are a cow hide or pig skin.

You can go with faux suede & faux leather to make the soft parts & with proper weathering people can't tell the difference. This is the way we went with my wife's Boushh for cost, availability, & durability.. This has proven to be very durable & has held up well. Not accurate but had the intention of putting together a costume that would hold up to being worn often We have one piece that is the pig suede & it had some durability issues that over time just didn't stand up & had to be modified. This is from doing close to 70 troops since the fall of 2013.

The cape is a thick heavy weaved fabric.

Wish you luck with your build & look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Thank you so much for your advice and input, I'm going to try my best to find the right materials in the fabric district in cali.

You can go with faux suede & faux leather to make the soft parts & with proper weathering people can't tell the difference. This is the way we went with my wife's Boushh for cost, availability, & durability.. This has proven to be very durable & has held up well. Not accurate but had the intention of putting together a costume that would hold up to being worn often We have one piece that is the pig suede & it had some durability issues that over time just didn't stand up & had to be modified. This is from doing close to 70 troops since the fall of 2013.

I'm also about to start a Boushh build, I've sourced all the hard parts and was starting to look into the leather and suede for the soft parts. I've not worked with pig suede or skin before and didn't realize there would be durability issues and durability is very important to me. I might need to rethink my approach on this.

Okay ... a little update. I arrived in Los Angeles and visited the fabric district. There were a lot of stores to choose from. All during the visit, I was referencing several photos that were provided. Every shop I went into, the salesmen assured me that this was the EXACT material for this costume. So I didn't really feel assured because everyone just wanted to make a sale and get my money. On top of that, it's hard to find the exact material because you never can tell the lighting from the pictures. I tried my best. I'm going to attach a picture, with labels that designate what each material is going to be made into. Please look over and give opinions.

IMG_4489.jpg

People in sales will tell you anything. Unless they worked on the set or have stared at reference photos for hours they wouldn't know what the actual material & color really is.

The boots & the tunic should be the same coloring & material. What you have labelled for the boots looks really close, but what you have labelled for the tunic is too dark.

The gloves & the inner tunic/neck are the same coloring & material. What you have for the gloves looks pretty good & should be used for the inner tunic/neck area.

What you have for the pants is a little dark in my opinion. Should be more of a tan/orange like the color of the what you have labelled for the helmet. It would be better to start with lighter & darken it with weathering.

What you have for the helmet may be a little too much towards a brown hue & should be closer to orange/yellow.

Lighting may be affecting how these look as well but this is just my thoughts & it is hard to tell with the limited references & getting the colors correct. The weathering also needs to be taken into consideration when choosing the base colors. You would be amazed at what you can do with weathering to change the coloring of the material.

Look forward to seeing your progress.

People in sales will tell you anything. Unless they worked on the set or have stared at reference photos for hours they wouldn't know what the actual material & color really is.

The boots & the tunic should be the same coloring & material. What you have labelled for the boots looks really close, but what you have labelled for the tunic is too dark.

The gloves & the inner tunic/neck are the same coloring & material. What you have for the gloves looks pretty good & should be used for the inner tunic/neck area.

What you have for the pants is a little dark in my opinion. Should be more of a tan/orange like the color of the what you have labelled for the helmet. It would be better to start with lighter & darken it with weathering.

What you have for the helmet may be a little too much towards a brown hue & should be closer to orange/yellow.

Lighting may be affecting how these look as well but this is just my thoughts & it is hard to tell with the limited references & getting the colors correct. The weathering also needs to be taken into consideration when choosing the base colors. You would be amazed at what you can do with weathering to change the coloring of the material.

Look forward to seeing your progress.

yea, what toolguy301 said is right on. tunic and spats/boots should be the same color. gloves/sleeves and neck covering are the same color too.

is your helmet material actually vinyl? i would really consider leather for the helmet. it will weather so much nicer than vinyl. i use a nice soft deerskin (saddle tan in color) from tandy leather and after weathering/wash it is awesome.

good luck with your build, i'm sure it will be awesome!

Most of these materials actually feel like a leather or suede. And I think I did have bad lighting. Cause the helmet material does have an orange-ish hue to it. I don't think this picture did it justice.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back