Helmet size / scaling for paint

haujohn

Hunter
I Have an Animefan CC fiberglass helmet. Does anyone have Rafal's paint stencils scaled to fit this?

I have been trying to scale them but cant seem to get them to print out at the right size. I did check out the one thread on scaling and tracing on the screen itself but id prefer to have them printed at my desired size rather than drawing on my screen.

Thanks!

This will be ESB btw.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the same principle would apply whether you're just tracing off the image or trying to print them.
I'd recommend printing them "as is" to get a baseline so you can figure out what adjustments need to be made to the size.
If you're able to change your printer settings, do this stage as low-res as you can (and in b/w) to save ink.

When you have a printed copy, you can measure it against the helmet to see if it's too large/too small and what dimensions
need to be altered. Just as an example, consider the following:

Let's say you print a template for the left rear panel. The overall width is 150 mm.
You measure the actual left rear panel on the helmet and its overall width is 140 mm.
Your template is 10 mm too wide. So how would you scale it to reduce the width?

150 mm multiplied by X = 140 mm. X will be your scaling factor.

To find X, divide 140 mm by 150 mm. 140/150 = .93333.

Multiply .93333 by 100 to convert it into a percentage. .93333 X 100 = 93.33%.

So you would need to scale the template to 93.33%. But using 93% will get you close enough.

You can reprint it at this point and see how it looks. Once you have things adjusted, you can switch your printer
back to hi-res (and color) and print away.

Hope this helps. :)

That is definitely helpful as far as the scaling! got it to work on the cheek bottom.. the upper cheeks are gonna be rough. Thanks for the suggestion!! Hopefully my printer cooperates!

No problem. :)
Another thing to consider is that on some areas, you may have to adjust the size horizontally and vertically independent of each other.
Most photo programs like Photoshop or PaintShop Pro will allow you to do that.

Yeah i have illustrator and paint shop pro. Im actually trying to use the AOSW stencils ( i dont think Rafal did them though) and they are big to my helmet. The cheek curves are off as well ,so I'm trying to get them to match up . The joys of compound angles! I'm sure this is all old news to everyone though. I appreciate the help . Thanks again!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back