First attempt at ESB helmet

ChrisTTB

New Hunter
Thought I'd share how my ESB helmet build is going, it's made out of picture mounting board 1.5mm thick as I couldn't find any 2mm board at my local hobby craft store, it has probably made it easier to cut and build but also means it's not as strong!
I was thinking of using resin to strengthen it once I have done the filing.
I will get some pictures up once I find out how to!

20160226_203141.jpg

20160226_203148.jpg

20160226_203206.jpg

20160226_225507.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking forward to seeing it. I found my illustration board helmet flexible until I mounted the visor. Resin or fiberglassing the interior is sure to help.

The pics show up now, looking great. I used plain old elmer's glue when I built mine. One trick that helps is to use glue to make a filet on the inside of a joint between two sections of board, when they join at some sort of angle. This is an old model rocketry tip.

filets.gif

Looks good. The only thing I would have done differently is not cut out the visor area yet. It weakens the structure of the helmet. You are going to be doing a lot of sanding once you get the bondo on the dome and cheeks and you might bend it up more easily. You can always add a layer on the inside to strengthen it for now and then cut it out later.

Thanks Gregory, i have hot glue filleted every joint i can find, certainly works.

ShortFuse, i am going to add another layer to the outside as i'm not happy with the thiickness of the rim of the helmet, its probably due to using thinner board, i wont be cutting out the visor on that piece this time.

Thanks for all the kind and helpfull comments will post some more pictures once i have made some progress.

Look great! To add onto short fuse, I screwed a metal strip accross my chin area, helps a lot, also makes installing the visor a lot less scary.

Ryan - sounds like a good idea, wondering what to use for the visor as I can't seem to find any black tinted face masks here in the UK, perhaps I'm looking in the wrong places!
Any help is greatfully recieved:)

20160329_171902.jpg20160329_171945.jpg20160329_171927.jpg
A few pics of my progress, dome needs one more coat of filler in places, painted inside with resin, filled and sanded cheek areas.
Slow progress but want to get it right!

GT Pro superfine car body filler, probably the UK equivalent to bondo

- - - Updated - - -

I think my dent is slightly in the wrong place, I'm thinking it should be more to the right looking at the front of my bucket, what does everyone else think?

Not been on for quite a while as I have been really busy over the summer, anyway have made some progress with my bucket so here are the pics20161105_122654.jpg20161105_122703.jpg20161105_122711.jpg
Decided to go ROTJ instead of ESB after looking at the painting posts (I'm not that good at painting) I thought my bucket might finish up looking better with a simpler colour scheme!

I think my dent is slightly in the wrong place, I'm thinking it should be more to the right looking at the front of my bucket, what does everyone else think?

You might be right, it does seem a bit left-ish to me, but it's hard to tell though with the helmet whited out and the angles of the photos.

Best way to find out I found after a lot of fretting over dent placement myself is to find some reference shots of dead-on front and side angles, then try to replicate those shots yourself. Then view them all side by side and see how it looks.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back