Question on getting a smooth gloss finish

Searay758

New Hunter
Hi there! I'm attempting to paint a helmet chrome and to do so you put down primer, then a gloss paint (usually black), and then a chrome paint of your choice. In my case I'm using Spaz Stix chrome which I have been very pleased with so far with test runs on various materials. I was wondering if anyone had any tips or advice on how to get that coat of gloss paint as smooth as humanly possible. I have Model Masters gloss black in a spray can and I'm not quite sure if that will give me a perfect finish straight out of the can. Are there any methods for painting, wetsanding, etc. that people could share to get the most reflective finish as possible? I appreciate anything the community has to offer, thanks!

Wet sanding will actually make it dull, even if you use 2000 grit. I have wet sanded clear coats followed by a cream polish and foam polishing cone on the end of a drill. Then buff with a microfiber rag, just like if you were polishing a car. That makes the clear coat like a mirror. Not sure about right on the chrome paint though. You may want to test on something else first since that paint may not be meant to mess with.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back