What to make first?

SBobba

New Hunter
Hey guys,

I'm new to the dented helmet and prop making in general. I plan on building either an ROTJ or ESB Boba, still have to decide. But anyways, I'm still growing (14 y/o) and I'm unsure of what I can build right now, so I don't grow out of it (like the ee-3 rifle since it will stay the same size and not the flight suit). I'm not sure if I should do the armor plating or not. Any help is appreciated!

Bobba

The gun would be a great start. I guess it all depends on how long you want to spread the project out, what your budget will be and how much growing you are gonna do in the next few years. My personal suggestion would be to read some of the scratch builds to try and develop building and painting skills will minimizing how much you will spend. Inwould think whatever you build you will out grow in the next few years unfortunately.

Greetings Bobba. The weapon sounds like a great suggestion to start with.

I would also recommend maybe trying to do a custom Mando (MandoMerc) kit first before doing a Fett. That way you can get your feet wet and give the different methods and techniques a try before going all in to ROTJ or ESB. Just a suggestion.

I'd start with a helmet, your head is unlikely to get terribly larger. Build it adult-size, and just add a little foam inside if needed. The helmet's the funnest part anyway. The armor you may want to make adult-size, then attach it for now to a flight suit that fits you, and you can get/make a larger suit later and transfer the armor.

If you decide to make it all 14 y. o. size, and grow out of it, I bet you could sell it to someone here for their young person. It's up to you of course.

tjr2d2 has a good idea there, a Mercs outfit would be good to start with, by the time you make a Boba you will know everything there is to know...

that said all the template here can be scaled to your size no problem if you want to go for it now :D

tjr2d2 has a good idea there, a Mercs outfit would be good to start with, by the time you make a Boba you will know everything there is to know...

that said all the template here can be scaled to your size no problem if you want to go for it now :D

What exactly is a merc outfit? Any place to guide me? Silverstalker tjr2d2

Last edited by a moderator:
A Merc outfit would be Boba Fett looking costume done however you wanted it to look. Tons of really cool and unique ones out there

A Merc outfit would be Boba Fett looking costume done however you wanted it to look. Tons of really cool and unique ones out there
There are limits to how the merc costumes can look and feel. There is lot of customization possible which is very cool.

Sent from my SM-G900V

Hey guys,

I'm new to the dented helmet and prop making in general. I plan on building either an ROTJ or ESB Boba, still have to decide. But anyways, I'm still growing (14 y/o) and I'm unsure of what I can build right now, so I don't grow out of it (like the ee-3 rifle since it will stay the same size and not the flight suit). I'm not sure if I should do the armor plating or not. Any help is appreciated!

Bobba

I built 2 E-11 Blasters while I was waiting for my Stormtrooper kit. Then I built the helmet before I got into assembling the rest of the armor. So as others have stated here, the weapon and the helmet are great places to start. It helps with building confidence working with different types of materials too. Take your time, have fun. Remember that researching what you want to do is half the fun!

Thanks Squimspickle !

Just wondering, how did you make your E-11? I want a basic idea on how to make the gun.

And as a general question, what are the big differences and preferences between rotj and esb?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks @Squimspickle !

Just wondering, how did you make your E-11? I want a basic idea on how to make the gun.

And as a general question, what are the big differences and preferences between rotj and esb?

The first one I made was a Hasbro E-11 and then I added a DoopyDoo's modification kit to make it look a little bit more realistic. The second one is a full resin DoopyDoo's kit. You basically build it like a model, glueing the parts together and then painting. I'm not sure what is out there for Boba Fett's rifle? I'm sure there is something. I'm just starting here too so if I find something weapon wise I'll let you know. I need to do more research on Boba Fett too.

I'd go with a full on boba helmet first as it's capable of being a full display piece in its own right plus, unless you're Joseph Merrick, your head is unlikely to get much bigger than at 14 and if it grows too large for a boba helmet anyway you'll have bigger problems. I was pretty much fully grown by that age and only grew outwards thereafter.

IMO....adult sized ESB Boba...just replace the flight suit when/if you outgrow it, and pad the rest. You may need to do something more with the belts down the road (maybe not).

The first one I made was a Hasbro E-11 and then I added a DoopyDoo's modification kit to make it look a little bit more realistic. The second one is a full resin DoopyDoo's kit. You basically build it like a model, glueing the parts together and then painting. I'm not sure what is out there for Boba Fett's rifle? I'm sure there is something. I'm just starting here too so if I find something weapon wise I'll let you know. I need to do more research on Boba Fett too.
The reason i was asking was because I wanted to scratchbuild my boba...which brings me to my next question. How did you guys, who scratchbuilt, make your gauntlets? I know of PVC but alot of people just buy it.

The reason i was asking was because I wanted to scratchbuild my boba...which brings me to my next question. How did you guys, who scratchbuilt, make your gauntlets? I know of PVC but alot of people just buy it.

Well I made my current ones from paper and illustration board. I finally got some PVC sheet and will redo them in PVC soon enough.
IMG_20151220_204842251.jpgIMG_20151220_204303094.jpg

Custom Mando seems like an extra expense. If you want to do Boba, spend the time and money on Boba. At 14 you have WAY more time than money, and Boba is a ridiculously long build if you DIY.

Look at my WIP thread or Silverstalker's to name a couple. There are plenty others.

I mention my WIP because I'm making it for my son who is just turning 14.

Most of the stuff can be made out of cardboard and all the templates are free. With cardboard, some resin and Fiberglass and bondo, you can have the helmet, gauntlets, and jet pack done. All of those are the same size no matter your size.

So, start with the helmet. Either WoF templates or Rafalfetts. Rafal's templates come with a REALLY good tutorial. Just follow that tutorial step by step and you'll have a superb helmet as a base. Start to finish for the helmet, beginning to painted? Depending on your commitment, probably less than a week. Then onto the gauntlets. Those are WoF templates with bondo, but not fiberglass.

You can do armor from a trash can or two. The WOF templates have scaled armor for whatever size you think you'll be.

Laslty, learn to sew. Unless you can buy all the sewn parts, have someone you know teach you to use a sewing machine. Mom, sister, aunt, grandma, dad etc. If you can't use a sewing machine, scratch building a costume will be next to impossible. There is just so much sewing.

Good luck! Start with the helmet. When that is done, you'll have gained any skills you need to complete all the hard parts of the costume.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back