wait time

Oh yea for sure. My helmet is based of the MR and is def different than the FPH2. The MR is def a little bigger. That said, i havent messed with it all that much...i just added some of that flair at the bottom and made the damage more prominent, but not quite right. At some point im going to fix that and fix the shape of the upper mandibles because its idealized on the MR..and maybe fix up the dent, and add the wavy brow...but i'll likely do that all at once and then call it done. Im certainly not out to make the best helmet out there. I just want to have something fairly accurate that is made well and plays the part :)

Id love to have an MF also, but way out of my price range as well.

I'd love to see a fully pimped out line of MRs. I love it as a base but it could use some improvement mostly as you mentioned. One of the biggest stumbling blocks for me is the dent which I feel is more of a crater than a dent. I prefered the FPH2 dent to the MR one; it just feels slightly large and I'll defined on the MR helmets and deep enough to crawl inside and curl up for a sleep!

What would you do with the mandibles?

The EFX and FPH2 aren't really that similar in shape.
The FPH2 Does suffer from too much flare on the right side in particular. The dent is also much softer than the EFX.
I did see a hugely thickly laid up fiberglass FPH2 in person. FP is truly very good with his casting work. You could smash through a wall in that thing.

I love the MR lineage helmets but they too suffer from a few issues.
Their flare is close but a bit odd in some cases. Their size is pretty close to the real deal but the left side I believe was tampered with in the 3D modelling stage.
Nevertheless there have been some very good versions of these made. Like a few here, it is my favorite of the "old stock"
The EFX and Anovos helmets will truly be a gift for the ESB lovers.

The efx helmet will never see the light of day. It's been how long since it was cast and no new information on it; heck when it was at SDCC it was still in the same primer for hat it was painted with once it came out of the mold. And now that anovos is doing a fett helmet, the efx is dead in th water; that is unless Gino or someone with some reliable knowledge can state otherwise.

Word around all parts I've heard suggest that the Efx, if produced, would only be good for a non-wearable bust. I can't imagine it will ever reach production honestly. Best that could ever come from that would be for the bust to be produced and someone else scan it for producing a wearable cast. I could support that kind of recasting, lol.

I had not heard that.
Bear in mind that EFX has the Prop license. A helmet can be a prop, a blaster is a prop. But armor and soft parts are a grey area; even in the actual movie industry.
So EFX is exploring that grey area with the busts which I think is great if they ever make them. But I don't think they would ever purposely make non wearable items.

With Anovos holding the costume license, I would have to say there's no way it'd be wearable. Can't remember where all the talk came from, but it sounded fairly(?) legit.
Guess we've gotten quite off from the OP's thread here, sorry about that!

The EFX and FPH2 aren't really that similar in shape.
The FPH2 Does suffer from too much flare on the right side in particular. The dent is also much softer than the EFX.
I did see a hugely thickly laid up fiberglass FPH2 in person. FP is truly very good with his casting work. You could smash through a wall in that thing.

You may be correct only because i never held them both at the same time. But they did seem very similar to me. I had the FPH2 in hand before i held the EFX prototype and they seemed similar to me, but again i didnt have them in hand at the same time to really truly compare, it was just what i could recall from memory/size. My FPH2 isnt cast all that thick, it looks like some sort of eurethane resin gelcoat with a layer of glass in it, but that said it does seem very sturdy and i would agree it is excellent quality.

I love the MR lineage helmets but they too suffer from a few issues.
Their flare is close but a bit odd in some cases. Their size is pretty close to the real deal but the left side I believe was tampered with in the 3D modelling stage.
Nevertheless there have been some very good versions of these made. Like a few here, it is my favorite of the "old stock"
The EFX and Anovos helmets will truly be a gift for the ESB lovers.

The MR based helmets ive seen, mainly the FP preimuim and the Animefan which i think is the same molds...doesnt seem to have any flair to me at all. I also agree the size is close. would love to know exactly what you see with the left side..would love to see how much on mine i can fix. I do agree its likely the Anovos will be an excellent ESB, and the EFX would be as well if it happens. Lat i heard Anovos managed to "shut down" the EFX due to them having the wearable costume license and EFX having a collectable/replica license.

I'd love to see a fully pimped out line of MRs. I love it as a base but it could use some improvement mostly as you mentioned. One of the biggest stumbling blocks for me is the dent which I feel is more of a crater than a dent. I prefered the FPH2 dent to the MR one; it just feels slightly large and I'll defined on the MR helmets and deep enough to crawl inside and curl up for a sleep!

What would you do with the mandibles?

Yea id like to mess with the dent and see what i can do with that. I agree it seems slightly oversized and deeper than it should be. The mandibles ..when you look at the profile of the helmet from the top they appear to have a look like they come almost straight out from the ear platform and then sharply curve downward rather than the gradual curve on the MR. That was a detail i always liked. there is also a slight distortion there id like to fix, but that may be on my cast only due to adding the flair as it brought it in the front and rear a bit, and i need to address that.

here is a screen shot, and i marked in yellow where i mean:
mandible%20line_zpsakbsamoh.jpg

here is a more obvious shot, and another also showing the flair:
6%20color%20corrected_zpsdohvspap.png

2%20color%20corrected_zpsrl0cyawg.png

Here is a couple of mine..slightly different angles but you can see that area is a gradual curve up rather than the sharper angle on the screen used
101_0008_zpsersgmnhq.gif

FW%20helmet%20left%20side_zps7aimb0ux.jpg

and straight on taken from a few feet away:
100_8473_zps9x2paoyq.jpg

This is something i believe FP corrected on both his Premium and definitely included on the FPH2. One of the many reasons i wanted the FPH2. This mandible shape is also seen on the GMH and the MF helmets. So its pretty clear to me the production MR's idealized this area for whatever reason.

The efx helmet will never see the light of day. It's been how long since it was cast and no new information on it; heck when it was at SDCC it was still in the same primer for hat it was painted with once it came out of the mold. And now that anovos is doing a fett helmet, the efx is dead in th water; that is unless Gino or someone with some reliable knowledge can state otherwise.

Like i mentioned before i think what happened here is that Anovos acquired the license for wearable costumes, where EFX has the licence for collectible replicas. I have heard EFX isnt allowed to make a wearable helmet at this point, but can make a bust...which would really suck and i hope that info is wrong...but thats the last i heard from the rumor mill..so who knows for sure.

...and again...sorry for drifting so far off topic!

Last edited by a moderator:
The efx/anovos progress matter has come to a point for me when I'll assess what I see when I see it. I have no idea about what's going on there but I'm still excited about it; bearing in mind that (so far as I know) no money has been taken upfront on these particular items yet it pretty tough to find room to complain other than general complaining that we want something better than we have at the moment, wherever we have, as individuals, found those items that we feel requires improvement. I'll be disappointed if the efx is a bust as that's a rumour I've heard too but as any knid of unaltered cast of the Hero is simply not going to happen i'll roll with it when I see it. It's important to remember most of the customer base wouldn't want an unaltered cast anyway so there will always be limitations in wahtever is offered. Discussion for another day.

The flare discussion I do find interesting. I currently maintain that I don't see significant or additional extra flare on the ESB. I'm not saying there's none but I am saying that lots of extra manipulation is not requied. I've seen both the ESB and ROTJ helmets in person (admittedly a long time ago and admittedly before the specifics were of particular interest to me) but I didn't notice a wow factor that made them markedly different. Currently I fall into the viewpoint that whilst the ESB does exhibit flare the classic view that there is a lot more of it is not correct. I'm interested by the pictures that Lou has posted there supporting his argument. In the first dining room shot with Vader in the foreground the flare is most pronounced but in that shot there is a clear curve of the brow in that the section of it by the arrows is clearly higher than the ears presenting a curve. In the second shot the downward curve is less pronounced and the flare is reduced. Essentially both shots give us a chin up view of the helmet. By bringing the chin up you bring the extremeties of the edges by the ears closer to the camera which makes the helmet look wider. This is the something I learned creating force perspective drawings at art school (I was a dropout if it matters).

I've previously cited the picture of Art holding the ESB hero on his right hip as a good example of the ESB hero not exhibitting particular flare. In order to get all of Art's upper boby in the shot there would need to be a reasonable amount of distance (particularly in that shot the brow by the cente arrows is closer to straight but lower than the ear sections thereby reducing flare i.e an upward curce toward the ears). If there was unreasonable distortion of the helmet due to the photography then Art should also look distorted. I've not met Art but based on that shot compared to other pictures I've seen of him he looks pretty normal to me in that shot; someone else will need to chime in to tell me if that's a distorted view of Art but either way it would be difficult to take that shot at any less than seven feet.

Moving on from that... If you look into the Alinger book (if you don't own it I recommend it and feel it's really worth the money if only for the brief Fett section alone) then we can see a comparison of several production helmets together. From memory it's the gatefold on page 133 and we have (again from memory): Sandy, Rubber stunt, ESB Hero, PP3, and another rubber stunt. The interesting thing about this shot is that regardless of the other helmets in shot we have the PP3 and ESB hero side by side in one shot at the same focal distance. They're almost straight on with the brow being nearly a straight line albeit with the centre brow down (decreasing flare) but irrespective of that the ESB does not exhibit particular abounds of extra flare and that which there is is quite minimal in terms of direct comparison to the PP3 meaning they look pretty much the same over shape albeit with some differences. Actually dent placement is as interesting a conversation when it comes to that. I digress... I don't see the evidence of the ESB flare some do.

If you don't own an Alinger book, which is a worthy investment in my opinion regardless of this thread, then a google image search of 'Alinger fett' will give you a reasonable albeit distorted view of the page i'm referring to.

Thanks to Lou for the mandible alteration explanation.

Pax

Andy

Sorry we sort of hijacked the thread.
The flare can and dies vary helmet to helmet.
Lou do me a favor; take a ruler,on it's edge, against the top and bottom right ear platforms. What sort of angle does that look like? Compared to the dome and mandibles? Now do the same to your FPH.
Very different are they not? The real thing lies somewhere in between but closer to the MR depending on the casting.

The left side of the MR has been extended and that ear is too long. The visor squint on that side is too wide. And the cheeks below are too long.
FP did a good job by cutting his version in his old thread. I would recommend doing exactly that.

Here's a fun old one about the shape.
MF_MR_Compare_01_zpsa6bbb103.JPG

Notice the MR right side is pretty close to the MF (which still has issues but is more correct that the MR in that respect)
But the left side of the MR doesn't have enough angle to it.

The overall shape difference between the MF and the MR are quite small considering they derive from different helmets and by different methods. Even accounting for scan versus cast they're very similar. What's great about the Alinger book is we can see that the PP3 that we have ample reference to via the scan (MR) is very similar to the ESB that it is next to and we can see from this shot that the PP3 is very simlar to the PP2 by virute of the MF. The differnces do not appear to be so pronounced as to merit extra flare introduction on an aggressive scale.

Edit:

Yeah, sorry for hijacking the thread but this is quite interesting.

Appears that the MF RH side takes a little jog before coming to the top of the ear platform.
The angle of the mandibles could possibly have some part in that? The MF has what seems the more correct slant. Not trying to sound like an admin here, or in any way stop this discussion.
Would be nice to move this discussion to a new thread for the sake of finding/adding to this discussion in the future. This topic has been talked about and whispered about and I think there is much room for adding value here to Fett helmet discussion.

Here's a fun old one about the shape.
View attachment 94913

Notice the MR right side is pretty close to the MF (which still has issues but is more correct that the MR in that respect)
But the left side of the MR doesn't have enough angle to it.

Thats exactly the flair i think we see. that left side goes too straight down on the MR in comparison. the MF one looks correct to me. I bet if you take a pic of that helmet with the "chin up" type angle like Andy said..it would appear to have more flair to it.

Ansy is 100% correct that the angle of the helmet is a big factor in how much of that flair we see. I do still think it is more present than the standard MR helmet. Actully if you take an MR and slightly pull out the ear areas from the bottom to fix the pinch..that angle comes right back.

Ya know i thought that the side was a touch too long, but wasnt sure how much of that was actully something that was on the helmet they scanned. Interesting.
@intwenothor Also Andy, yes i agree the flair is visible more with the "chin up" angle shot. That last pic i posted of my [DVH] helmet, is slightly on that "chin up" angle because it is on a shelf in my shop thats at my forehead height. I took the pic from about 4ft away, and just cropped the pic. It is however still taken from slightly below.

I do have that book, and those helmets are sitting ona flat surfce which also changes the angle we are seeing them and i think it would be giving us the opposite effect that the chin up angle would be giving us. Also only the helmt in the center is traight on..you lose more of the left side (wearers left)of the helmet that on the right in the photo

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back