First Time Build - Boba Fett Helmet - Cardboard - FINISHED

Ive been away for ages! But I am back now, Tuesday I will be fiberglass the inside of the helmet. What do you recommend for the outside of the helmet before I start putting on the bondo etc..A coat of just the fiberglass resin? Or do you normally use something else to seal it..

Last edited by a moderator:
I used a coat of fiberglass resin on the outside before using bondo. Worked fairly well but one problem I encountered was that in places the resin only soaked thru the paper template and not to the cardboard underneath. Didn't notice at first, but in some areas (mandibles) the resined paper actually started to separate from the cardboard. In the end it wasn't a huge problem as I just reattached the two and gave some areas another coat of resin.

Long story short, just make sure there aren't any loose bits of template before using resin. Giving the paper a light sand (if it's too smooth) will also help the resin soak in.

I used a coat of fiberglass resin on the outside before using bondo. Worked fairly well but one problem I encountered was that in places the resin only soaked thru the paper template and not to the cardboard underneath. Didn't notice at first, but in some areas (mandibles) the resined paper actually started to separate from the cardboard. In the end it wasn't a huge problem as I just reattached the two and gave some areas another coat of resin.

Long story short, just make sure there aren't any loose bits of template before using resin. Giving the paper a light sand (if it's too smooth) will also help the resin soak in.

I was going to take as much of the paper off from the outside as I could before continuing anyway, it's all pretty loose anyway. Thanks for the tip :)

Better late than never, I've finally started to fiberglass the inside. Never used Fiberglass before...I didn't realise the resin got so hot once it sets! It's like magic...

Finished the inside of the dome. Might let that fully dry overnight, and then do the inside areas and cheeks tomorrow. Bloody fumes are nasty tho. Ive been using a thick towel over my nose as I don't have a breathing thing. Not dead yet, so...

how long does it normally take for the Fiberglass to harden? The resin went hard in the 20/30 mins it says (left over in the pot) but after 3 hours or so, the fiberglass is tacky and soft still. It has gone green though which seems to be the middle stage of curing, as the left over resin also went green before turning back to orange and hard.

Some advice would be good. Ive left it overnight, and its mostly dry. There are still a couple of little spots near the center that are dark and sticky. However, it doesn't seem very hard, and there are a few bits near corners which don't seem completely stuck down, and if I press, there is a little spring/give to it. Did I not use enough resin? I coated where I was fiber glassing first so that it had something to stick to, and the bruished resin over the top. I thought I was being generous enough, but maybe not. Maybe re-coat with resin on top to make sure?
2016-08-13 10.33.01.jpg2016-08-13 10.33.13.jpg2016-08-13 10.33.27.jpg

2016-08-13 10.33.01.jpg

2016-08-13 10.33.13.jpg

2016-08-13 10.33.27.jpg

Done a second coat of the inside of the dome. Was more generous than before with the resin and I think it's pretty well covered now. Will see if it's any better once it drys. Will leave it overnight now, see what it's like tomorrow.

That should work fine for you. When I resined my bucket I ended up being out of town for about a week and by the time I got back it had fully cured. But under normal circumstances a day or two should be fine.

first coat I was using 100ml with 10 drops of hardener, but was wasting half of it. So second coat I used 50ml and 5 drops. I think main issue was brush size. I was using the little brush I got with the kit, but today switched to much bigger brush which allowed me to apply it better.

Once I've finished the fiber glassing, is there anything I should coat it in afterwards? Paint or something? Or do most people just leave it how it is once it's done?

Ive finished fiber glassing the inside. Something doesn't seem right though. I definitely used enough hardner, because the resin cured in around 30mins in the cup and turned solid. The paint brushes which could now be used to hammer nails is also testament to that...But there are parts that seem tacky still, some bits are quite dark still too, almost black, whilst other bits are the yellow color you expect. I was also very generous with the amount of resin I used, and all part of matting were well soaked. I'll upload a pic later this evening. Maybe it's fine. Feels more solid in weight atleast now.

Here's some pics. It's still a little tacky in places, and it's not as hard as I expected it to be, and in some places, it's not completely stuck to the surface and has some spring. Im not sure whether to just continue with the next step and coat the outside of the helmet with some resin before filling and sanding begins. Making for display mainly anyway, so no real plans on wearing it. just don't want it to fall to pieces. I'm thinking I should do another coat of resin, and pop the portable heater in the room to make it toasty in there.

2016-08-17 10.46.44.jpg2016-08-17 10.46.55.jpg2016-08-17 10.47.14.jpg

2016-08-17 10.46.44.jpg

2016-08-17 10.46.55.jpg

2016-08-17 10.47.14.jpg

Hooray! Did a second layer on the inside, one big piece of foberglass cut to size. Went on really well and has dried out and seems really solid! Also seems to have fixed a couple of other areas of fiberglass too. Seems much more rigid now, so on to the next step. Going to file some high points of the dome and around the cheeks before I put on the coat of resin on the outside. Then I can start the long process of filling and sanding, which im looking forward to!

Just a final point on the fiberglass, should I do anything to it on the inside? I was thinking about painting it black inside, or maybe something else?

People seem to feel its fine to leave it bare. I personally dislike the sick yellow color so I'd recommend painting it. The insides of the original Fett helmets appear to be some sort of blueish gray, black sounds just fine.

Please keep the pictures coming. I'm getting ready to start my first build and your thread is very helpful. Looks great so far! (i think...)

Please keep the pictures coming. I'm getting ready to start my first build and your thread is very helpful. Looks great so far! (i think...)
Thanks, I will keep them coming. Will post some new pics tomorrow. Should be the last time I will use resin for a while. (thank god). Almost at the filling/sanding stage!

Took the paper off the outside, and then filed some high points down a little. Then used by knife for some more rough parts top slightly carve the dome and other area to make a better surface. Also making sure any glue bobbles that had leaked through from the glue gun were cut down level with the cardboard. Have no coated the entire helmet in fiberglass resin only. Once that's dried, I'll give it all a light sand, but then it should be ready for the filling stage! (will post a couple of pics later)

PICTURES!

Inside is a mess. Will try and clean it up a little, but it's essentially gonna be painted black. May even just cover the inside in black foam to hide the ugliness of the fiberglass. Will be a display piece really so...

But resin coat on and dry. Today I stuck the side base layers on (hadn't done so previously). Little bit more of a challenge than expected, mainly due to them being thinner at bottom, but I managed to do an ok job. Real test will be when the side pieces go on (at a much later date). Plan on casting them in resin or something, so any tips on making it all align properly would be helpful in the future!

Helmet looks a bit of a mess atm. But Will give whole outside a quick sand with some rough paper, and then I can start the filling stage. I expect this to take ages. But are there any tips you can give to achieving a smooth dome?

2016-08-20 20.05.43.jpg2016-08-20 20.05.54.jpg2016-08-20 20.06.03.jpg2016-08-20 20.06.12.jpg2016-08-20 20.06.32.jpg2016-08-20 20.06.44.jpg

2016-08-20 20.05.43.jpg

2016-08-20 20.05.54.jpg

2016-08-20 20.06.03.jpg

2016-08-20 20.06.12.jpg

2016-08-20 20.06.32.jpg

2016-08-20 20.06.44.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back