Superjedi's FPH2 for Postie

UPDATE: DAY 52

Been working on the ears the past few days. Got the arches masked and airbrushed, and began detailing the RF ear first.
The left ear details will be applied next.

IMG_3508_zpsemnpiwli.jpg

I've put on most of the small black markings using rub-on lettering. Here's another angle to show the markings on the lower
RF ear piece. I still have to apply the small vertical stripes on the upper ear cap.

IMG_3509_zpslhni12ke.jpg

After I paint the damage on the left ear, it will be time for final weathering! :)

Thanks much, guys. :)

UPDATE: DAY 55

The updates will be less dramatic from here on out because the changes to the helmet's appearance will be more subtle.
I finished up the detailing on the left ear and in these pics, I have temp installed the ears for a fit test. Everything looks like
it's aligned nicely, and I'll proceed with the last weathering stages.

IMG_3512_zpsrzmits5w.jpg

IMG_3515_zpsvglgihyl.jpg

In the second shot, I've bored out the hole for the Borden connector so it can be placed to the correct depth. I usually leave that off until
after the final dull coat as I want it to retain a more shiny appearance.

UPDATE: DAY 64

No photos yet, although all painting and weathering is complete.
I had a mishap with the visor and had to order a replacement. :( Once it arrives, I'll be able to post
some final pics before packing the helmet for its trip to the southern hemisphere.
Continued thanks to Postie for his patience and understanding!

Thanks, RC!

FINAL UPDATE: DAY 66

Here we are at the end. :) Another ESB completed and about to be sent into the wild!
Thanks to everyone who followed along with the paint up. A couple small delays here and there for real life
stuff and a visor issue, but the project is done and will now be packed up for its journey to New Zealand.
Here are some final pics. First, the front:

IMG_3517_zpshuq1raim.jpg

IMG_3527_zpszhamzvth.jpg

The back:

IMG_3520_zpsmqplcfdp.jpg

IMG_3522_zpsb2869x8e.jpg

IMG_3523_zpsmqw8zomq.jpg

Lastly, to Postie, thanks for your patience and for trusting me with your helmet. I know you've waited for quite a long time
to have this project completed. I hope to see some pics once it's placed in your collection! :)

EDIT: Forgot to mention that since Colin was so great to work with, I upgraded the kit's resin Borden connector to a
machined metal replica. (y) Love me some metal accessories!

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn. Another great job Eric. So crazy jealous. I almost have enough cash to place an order for a FPH2. Now I just need a second or third job to commission you to paint it up :)
Keep up the awesome work.

A huge thanks Eric, the helmet looks amazing & the Borden upgrade a nice touch!
Your communication & personal updates from the start of this commission have been stellar (& very funny at times!)
I can't wait for this thing of Fett beauty to arrive at the front door so I can gaze at it in person.
Cheers mate.

I really admire your work, the detailed updates you've posted for each of your commissions truly show your attention to detail. Do you paint in natural daylight or under indoor lighting, and if so are you using daylight bulbs?

Hey, thanks guys! :) To me, the ESB Fett helmet is one of the most intriguing film artifacts ever made, and I try
to do it justice.

Lonerthx, my hobby table is right in front of a window, so I get a good amount of natural light. But I also paint in
the evenings, and I have a small desk lamp set up so that I can continue to work even after sunset.

What do you use as a masking liquid? Is it modge podge?

No I wouldn't recommend using Mod Podge. That's a glue and you'd certainly have problems with it sticking and pulling up paint.
I use Winsor & Newton art masking fluid. But there are several types of masking fluids that will work just the same.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back