Any voice transmitter recommendations?

MilenkoFett

New Hunter
I've seen the threads for solving the issues of hearing while wearing your helmet, but I haven't seen anything about being heard while wearing it. When I'm talking to someone I don't want to sound like Kenny from South Park. Any tips on voice transmitters would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Aker 1505 or Aker 1506.

That's pretty much what everyone uses. Put it in one of your side pouches and people will hear you.

New_1505_02.jpg

can i ask you if this aker 1505 only amplify the voice or also make the voice distorted/robotized?

The Aker system is a pretty powerful portable rechargeable speaker system. It's simplicity, portability, and ruggedness is why many of us use the system. It's also relatively inexpensive, I picked mine up new for about 27$ with shipping hunting off of fleabay. If you want a voice distortion system most of us tie in a system that alters our voice into the overall system (the output goes to the aker system). You can use an old cell phone or ipod touch pretty easily to do this. Software for distorting your voice runs about 2 to 6$ depending on what you choose. There are a bunch of threads here on the forums about what people have done.

The Aker system is a pretty powerful portable rechargeable speaker system. It's simplicity, portability, and ruggedness is why many of us use the system. It's also relatively inexpensive, I picked mine up new for about 27$ with shipping hunting off of fleabay. If you want a voice distortion system most of us tie in a system that alters our voice into the overall system (the output goes to the aker system). You can use an old cell phone or ipod touch pretty easily to do this. Software for distorting your voice runs about 2 to 6$ depending on what you choose. There are a bunch of threads here on the forums about what people have done.

That is really helpful thanks for posting. Keep them coming Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info! I've been reading around on which voice amps were worth purchasing. If anything my only other question is would there be any way to have the sound come from the helmet? Possibly by rigging up a small speaker through the borden on the cheek perhaps?

Replied to your Pm with the same info Jetpack man lol. Aker 1506 is more than enough power :)

As far as the sound coming from the helmet, i found it a lost cause lol Back in 2008 when i joined the 501st, i bought these Stormtrooper mic tips with the speakers built in and thought it would be super cool for the voice to actually come from the helmet. But because of the size, they were never really clear and because they are so close to the mic you need to speak into it was near impossible to avoid feedback unless you kept your volume low, which defeated the purpose of having an amp, especially at a con or anywhere there was background noise.

Honestly no matter where you have the amp, it always seems like its coming from the helmet anyways. Its hard to pinpoint exactly where the sound is coming from. In my Fett i have it in one of my pouches hanging from the ammo belt. No one could tell where it was and it was much louder and clearer than any helmet mounted speakers i ever tried. In my TIE pilot i hang it around my neck under the jumpsuit, and it still works excellent. In my scout and Stormtrooper, its mounted under the chest armor, again, no issues. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Still learning here...

Would they be thin enough to be comfortable underneath the chest armor or flak vest, or do you think it would muffle the sound too much to be effective?

Like DV said Helmet speaker don't work, I wish they did. I also tried back in the day when I had also joined the 501st, i thought it would be cool for my TK to have an inbuilt system in the helmet, not only was it a nightmare the only way I could get it to work was to mount the speaker at the back of the helmet in the flare ( this was the only way I could stop feedback. The sound quality was was fine as long as I didn't turn the system up to far, it I did you would either get major feedback and/or get mildly yelled at by your own voice ( if the feedback did deafen me first)

Still learning here...

Would they be thin enough to be comfortable underneath the chest armor or flak vest, or do you think it would muffle the sound too much to be effective?

For Fett the amp is still to thick. I tried disassembling an Aker amp and just mounting the actual speaker behind a chest plate but was getting bad feedback and just kind of abandoned the idea. However i think it may work with a little tweaking, maybe some sort of thin craft faom or something to "soften" the back of the armor plate to maybe deaden the feedback...but i kind of gave up on it and just have the amp in my pouch lol.

Replied to your Pm with the same info Jetpack man lol. Aker 1506 is more than enough power :)

Well, that solves that. I see an eBay seller, from my same state too, has these so I guess I'll pick on up asap. I just found out the hard way during Wintercon how embarrassing it is, when people just nod because they don't have any idea what you're saying under the helmet:lol:

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back