First scratch build bucket, any help/advice appreciated

Jedi

New Hunter
Hi y'all!
Fairly new here to TDH, starting my first Boba bucket build and have run into some speed bumps with the first 2 prototype/proof of concepts. I'm used Antman's technique with the WOF templates using some spare cereal box non-corrugated cardboard, poster board, hot glue, and some regular corrugated cardboard as a first test to see how the build would go done/ test the templates. I'm glad I tried it with the scrap materials instead of using my 2mm mat board which I am planning to use when I get all of the glitches out. IMG_0764.JPGIMG_0772.JPGIMG_0771.JPGIMG_0770.JPGIMG_0769.JPGIMG_0768.JPGIMG_0767.JPGIMG_0766.JPGIMG_0765.JPGAs you can see, the mask and bucket didn't turn out completely atrocious, but when the dome came along disaster struck. I tried to fix the pieces of the dome but it was just too messed up, I'm pretty sure that the dome templates are way too small so to test this theory I created another bucket as a proof of concept.IMG_0775.JPGIMG_0776.JPGIMG_0777.JPGIMG_0778.JPGIMG_0779.JPGIMG_0780.JPGIMG_0781.JPGIMG_0782.JPGIMG_0774.JPGIMG_0783.JPG I think my size theory is correct, I'm posting more pictures later but when I put the dome on there is quite a large gap around the trim

IMG_0773.JPG

IMG_0784.JPG

IMG_0785.JPG

IMG_0786.JPG

IMG_0787.JPG

IMG_0786.JPGIMG_0793.JPGIMG_0792.JPGIMG_0791.JPGIMG_0790.JPGIMG_0789.JPGIMG_0788.JPGIMG_0787.JPGIMG_0784.JPGIMG_0795.JPG The patterns don't quite line up at the top maybe of my own fault in cutting, and the poster board has warped in a way to give the dome a very dented look and not the dent that you want on a Boba haha. At this point i may give up these test for a while and try RafalFett's templates. Let me know what you think and any solutions/tips

Seems to me like something got messed up when you printed the templates. The dome looks smaller than it needs to be. It worked fine for Antman, for me and for so many other members, so I'm sure if you check your settings you'll find the templates to be just fine. Make sure your materials are the same thickness on everything. Corrugated board and cereal boxes are completely different thickness. Whether you are doing WoF's or RafalFett's templates, you must make sure the thickness is what the templates call for. Don't give up, to build a helmet is actually a lot harder than it seems, if you are going for a decent look! Welcome to the board!

The circumference of the base of your dome = The top of the inner layer of the helmet body

You can print 2 of the form templates and use them for both. This way you know that they will line up. I feel your pain with the dome though. I've thrown out almost complete pieces because of issues related to the way I fit stuff together earlier in the process.

Don't get discouraged though...keep at it and don't be afraid to start a second one to see where you might have gone wrong. There really is an art to getting this to look right.

still can't figure out the sizing/printing issues! The A4 helmet templates match the dome patterns but I can't print them on 8.5x11 paper because part always gets cut off. Then the regular pdf files are too big for the dome! Ahhhh!!! So frustrated and confused! How do I fix it????!!!!!!!

still can't figure out the sizing/printing issues! The A4 helmet templates match the dome patterns but I can't print them on 8.5x11 paper because part always gets cut off. Then the regular pdf files are too big for the dome! Ahhhh!!! So frustrated and confused! How do I fix it????!!!!!!!

From what I understand you want to use the Letter sized templates? If so, you'll need to download all the files from WoF's helmet templates thread (helmet, rangefinder, ear pattern and dome) except the A4 file. Also, when you build the dome it is very important to glue those dome support parts too, as these will guide you in your build but also will give that specific shape of the dome. If for some reason there is a hole/space between the slices you can alway fill in with bondo or pieces of cardboard.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back