My ROTJ journal

Am moving on slowly with these its hard to find all the time I need around work and home life etc but they must come first...

I have made the dental expander and installed the tips on the left gauntlet, will be time for paint soon has anyone got the humbrol paint number for these by any chance that would be helpful?

also painted them with silver undercoat.

20150819_203139_zpseoiawjco.jpg

20150819_203149_zpspbpbk2uf.jpg

20150819_203153_zpsalgjcnuy.jpg

20150819_202945_zpspmqasov9.jpg

I know the dental expander is a tad big but i feel it still sits well with the overall look.

I am having trouble making this rocket still, mainly finding the right part for the tip! I have tried with funnel, cardboard and a few other ideas but nothing has the desired effect for me, I want it solid so it can take a knock and made in a way I can dismantle for repairs etc....

I have one more idea that involves paper, half a funnel and glues sticks :wacko

20150819_195624_zpsedw2x69o.jpg

20150819_201007_zpsbyi3pbo3.jpg

I will test the idea I have in mind and report back on it... all

thats left is the darts and hose.....darts are tricky to make solid without a lathe to....

I'd say I've tested the durability of my cardboard build pretty thoroughly. Aside from some bondo chipping off the gaunts due to a feisty member of staff forcing a wristband on me at Comic Con, they've held up well. A few weeks ago, I accidentally dropped a suitcase on my cardboard helmet (and by dropped I may as well have said thrown given how hard it landed); the visor shattered but there was only one crack in the dome. No crumpling or denting. Just one crack, so as long as you've fiberglassed the interior and resin/bondoed the exterior you shouldn't have any problems with it aside from a torrential downpour.

Ah yes rain..... I could only imagen the horror of the gewy soggy mess that would end up on the floor as a puddle... I guess time will tell how it fairs when wearing it, I plan on wearing it to maybe 3 or 4 shows then it will become a dsiplay piece after that.

I am hording cardboard at the moment to make a mannequin.

Moving on with the gauntlets.... I think I have a good rocket coming together...The one I make will go on the gauntlet to fill the space so to speak but will buy a "proper one" down the line...I am just not happy with the results when it comes to making all them holes in the tip...

Anyway could not find a Humbrol paint for these that wasn't gloss.....so I used VW Gambia Red
20150822_163309_zpsv4lv9tg9.jpg

This didn't help much as this was a very mild gloss, I will simply hit it with a clear coat of Matt when I am done with them
20150822_155634_zps39wmj1ft.jpg

20150822_163439_zpsknhyzciu.jpg

I used Windsor and Newton masking fluid on it for the large areas that are easy to peel off...problem is the fine scratches man alive they are fiddly to peel...

20150822_181929_zpswdwpnawu.jpg

So they are still very raw, very basic and still need all the accessories to go on... a lot of weathering to do to bring the tone down a bit but all in all very happy so far..

So I have a helemt, carbine and gauntlets......The rooooooooadddd iiiiiisssss loooooonnnggg...

20150822_183334-1_zpsoro27bwl.jpg

More to come....

P.S I update most 'if not all' of my journal with my phone....and it keeps replacing the word Helmet with "Hemlet or Helemt " it's quite irritating I do apologise....auto correct can be a proper fly in the ointment sometimes

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a great thread has solved a lot of questions I had and given me more than a few ideas of my own. Keep up the good work and posts

I don't know how authentic you want to be, but the number pad for the gauntlets had 4 rows of 5 buttons, not 4 rows of 4 buttons. If you wanted to be accurate its not especially hard to glue the twenty buttons onto a flat piece of plastic...but I don't know if you want some functionality in the buttons hence your button selection.

@ Crumdum I am ok with only 4 rows, if however another set turns up I will no doubt replace it (y)

@ runFettBoyRun Maplins has everything that's for sure... I got my visor of e bay I just looked up shade 5 welding replacement visor, the chopped it to size the bottom of it has a slight curve inwards to it but you can hardly notice. was only about £9.

Thaks for the comment guys nice to see folks are tuning in on this journal.

I have started the jet pack.... WOF templates again but with a couple of little tweaks, its actually quite small when you look at it didn't really pay attention to the fact it only goes down half way of your back..
Never the less it is what it is, I am looking a making this thing as strong as possible from the inside out because I get the impression all them pointy bits will come off without to much resistance at all; especially when trooping!

I only have a couple of pics but its a start. one thing I need to plan out is the harness I don't know if I will use the divers rig or go for a simple strap system, I say this as you can't really see the divers rig anyway? thoughts on that??

either way I will put reinforcement plates on the inside to take what ever method I use..

20150823_192403_zpsvxahz1rg.jpg

This was the start and getting in an awful mess trying to work it out

20150825_193226_zpsq7hqhgrp.jpg

and this is all I have so far a very basic frame
20150826_211234_zpsebmeyxmc.jpg

Its hard to see this thing take shape yet but I can see the potential in it..

You really have these cardboard builds down Silver! Looking most impressive! Just a quick word of advice, make certain you have reinforced the area where your straps attache to the jetpack body for your harness. I fear that the cardboard will warp over time from it's own weight while trooping. If you slap some thin wood slats in the frame that might help or glue reinforcement cardboard in there.

I printed the gauntlets the other day to replace my 10 year old set of super heavy resin gauntlets. I was a bit intimidated looking at them but after seeing your build you made it much clearer. Thanks!! Can't wait to see more!

Kind words many thanks, if you need help with the gauntlets I have other pics of the construction that I haven't posted (I think) and I have learned a lot doing them... as for the reinforcement plate they are already cut up and ready to go in ;) I have not decided on the harness yet but the strength will be behind it for what ever I use..

So still moving along with the jet pack, going is very slow on this trying to get all the right shapes and sizes is proving tricky, I had an e-mail off WOF today about my helmet build, I printed the templates off using adobe PDF format but decided to scale them up to 150% eeek turns out my helmet maybe a tad to big?? looks like I will be making a new one at some point, dunno, will see how this all fits together. I wanted it bigger for fans and mics etc but get the idea it maybe way out of scale now... we shall see

anyway the pack.

I found these at a scrap recycle store we have in town, it has a lot of strange things and some useful, I come across some real leather brown hide that will come in handy later on :p and you basically pay what you think its worth or £15 to fill a shopping cart with what ever you like!!
20150828_115225_zps8uqpyghe.jpg

So I now have enough tube to make 5 jet packs.

I found these at hobby craft £1 each and the cones inside them make a good rocket tip, rocket body and thruster nozzles when cut down.
20150828_170724_zpstv7mtnou.jpg

I also picked up the coupling and hose for the gauntlets £5 all in..

20150828_131310_zpsg2e4aslv.jpg

Like I say I haven't got a whole bunch done on it but ''a shape'' is forming, this needs a lot of adjusting etc I have added the reinforcement packing plates for the straps.

20150828_203501_zpswxkl3161.jpg

On a different note I have 4 of these 6ft by5ft card sheets that I plan on using to make a card board Boba out of to make a display piece out of.

20150827_163807_zpsrdrrqnjh.jpg

I have been online shopping for bits and got a few things on the way that I cannot wait for :D

This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back