Enamel vs acrylics

toofastrobot

Active Hunter
Is there a reason so many of us use humbrol enamel? Was it because the colors match closely? Is it more durable?

The reason I ask, is because honestly cleaning enamel paints in between colors is a pain in the ass lol. Acrylics are so much easier for me to clean, and there seems to be a wider array of colors available as well as they appear to be more forgiving.

Any advice/ input?

I was under the impression that they were as well. I have a painted u boat that was rocked around sitting loose in its box and it showed no signs of wear and that was without any kind of protective coat on the paint (clear coat or anything).

try using brake cleaner threw your air brush on enamel paints. I found it to clean pretty good and fast in a short time between changing colors and if you blow on the air brush parts after spraying they even dry faster.By the time you take apart spray and reassemble the brake clean has dryed. Also seems to work good on acrylics to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, I guess it's just a lack of knowing the little time saving tricks! Thanks TF.

Also, I bought an ultrasonic cleaner and threw my airbrush in that. It cleans very well. The paint cup cap had paint on it over 2 years old and it didn't take that many runs through to dissolve it off. So if you don't have an ultrasonic cleaner I highly recommend one! Only 35$ at harbor freight.

I use the same trick with my airbrushes in between colors. (letting W.S sit) I do find it evaporates so I will usually give a clean if I haven't used in a couple of days.

I think it is just personal preference. Cleaning enamels is a pain, but I have only used enamels for small hobby things. I actually like the look of laquers the best for large projects that need a shiny factory finish. I would like to use acrylics for future Fett stuff so let me know when you get that color list:D

i find the enamels to give a more matt finish. The acrylics seem to be more satin. Ive had a hard time getting a true matt finish with acrylics. Not to say its impossible, its just my experience. I found the enamels better in that respect so i just stuck with them rather than going on a search to get the right finish with acrylics. I run the spirits through the brush between colors and leave some in the cup as well until i use it again like TF.

I decided to stick with enamels for helmets/armor and acrylics for my model kits. Thanks for all your advice/tips guys.

For white spirits/lacquer thinner, do you generally use a model brand or hardware store one?

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back