General Masking fluid ..or...something..making "oil stains" on armor?

Darth Voorhees

Well-Known Hunter
Preferred Vendor
Ok so this is a new one...... i have been painting 2 sets of armor this week, one is mine as im trying to get all my new stuff ready to go so when i make my jetpack i will be ready to troop.

This has never happened before and i have painted quite a few sets of armor at this point. There is what looks like an "oil stain" around every area of damage. Of course, this happens on My personal armor..UGH!
IMG_9440_zpsbq3wckpn.jpg

IMG_9441_zpsyfpkiitu.jpg

IMG_9442_zpso9dsvjdp.jpg

IMG_9444_zpsbwnucrvc.jpg

Has this happened to anyone before? Im using Humbrol maskol masking fluid, which has never caused a problem before, and this same bottle has been fine for the helmets im doing. Im hoping if i just leave it over night, maybe it will evaporate or dry. If not, its likely i will have to paint this all over again, which would suck not only because of time wasted, but also the paint i wasted.

If it doesnt fade/dry/evaporate, whatever.., maybe i can remask the yellow/silver areas and put another coat of the green on..ugh..i dont know..this really pissed me off because i sat there for hours masking this all getting the damage just right. :/ I am not happy :(

Did you shake it? Are you supposed to shake it? That is pretty weird...

Last edited by a moderator:
yep..used it the same way i have been all this time .... this is very strange indeed. Im hoping i go in the shop tomorrow and its normal looking, but ...i have a bad feeling about this..

Now keep in mind i painted the green about 11:00 this morning and i removed the mask at about 7PM...so maybe it just isnt fully dry..even though i find it very odd it would do that. I guess we'll see in the Morning...sigh

If it's not dry in the morning you could try messing with the spots before sanding and starting over or whatever. Go over with a heat gun, or light buff with steel wool, or try to clear over it and see if that affects it, or even put some Dawn on it if it's oil. Who knows, weirder things have happened and it might beat redoing it.

Yea i was thinking a hairdryer might do something. i actually did go over it very lightly with steel wool, nothin. Could it be the humidity? It seems to have gotten more humid as the day has gone by...its at 82% now, which is super high. Maybe its the mineral spirits not evaporating in the paint? ugh. I really hope it dissipates over night. I got the damage exactly like i wanted it and it would super suck to have to sand it down and start over :/

Right?...never happened before..im hoping for a miracle and it be gone in the morning, or at least maybe i could remask the yellow and silver and maybe throw on another thin coat of the green. I dont have the time to redo it right away ..ugh :/

if it doesn't go away....Id test on scrap and see what the masking fluid does on that....and if you need to repaint...strip it all the way down...I wouldn't paint over something with grease as it will bleed through that too....

Yea it sucks...i was so happy with the damage too. Probably the best ive done so far ....sigh. I mean i dont thinks its actually oil or grease, thats just what it looks like...i couldnt think of any other way to describe it. I dont know how oil or grease would even have gotten on there.

I think i may hit it with steel wool tomorrow and mask the silver and yellow on one piece and respray the green and see what happens after i leave it for a day. If it works i'll do the rest, if not, i guess i'll be stripping it down and starting over.

That sucks. I've been using masking fluid for years and years and never had that issue, I've had bottles go bad (since it's just a dyed latex). Do you use distilled mineral spirits or non distilled, it does make a difference with paint. Usually it will either give a matt or gloss finish depending on what is used.
maybe it reacted with the ammonia that is in the masking fluid?
testing would be good to track down the culprit.
Or was it a the paint?
What happens if you run a wash with just mineral spirits on the paint? Either around the effected area or/and in an ineffective area?

The same thing happened to me on my helmet with humbrol maskol and humbrol paint. I have steel wooled it a lot throughout the different stages and I only still see a little on the top of the lower cheeks. It kind of just looks like weathering at this point. I hope yours gets better. That sucks after all that work.

hmmmm a reaction to the ammonia in the masking fluid...that is something i didnt think of! Yea im going to have to do some tests and see what happened. Im going to assume the mineral spirits are not distilled. But again, its the same one ive been using since i started using airbrush..this never happened before. Same paints as well. I mean, with stuff like this, there are so many variables...between the humid air or the amount of mineral spirits i may have used, or maybe even a reaction with the ammonia, that i never thought of...who knows.

Dont want to try putting mineral spirits on it s im pretty sure it will take off at least some of the paint. If i can get away with remasking the silver/yellow, i'll just do that. If that doesnt work, im just going to strip it down and start over.

With the spirits, I do know it may dissolve the paint, when I meant wash, it was a light brush over and let it evaporate off, with out rubbing. I do know that the spirits can change the colour of the paint and is something i would test first.
I have used a method similar to age/fade/weather damage a piece. I used a stipple effect to get my result once the spirts had a couple of minutes to soften the paint.
We can only live in hope that there is an easy solution to your problem, Good luck and i hope you don't have to repaint.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back