For those who'd like to know, a handful of really good costume creators have put into an attempt to standardize Zam somewhat. The one who put it in writing (at the BHG) and frequents this board, has given permission for me to bring it in here for you guys to see. So I'm simply pasting it directly:
Okay, here is my first go. I did my best. I'm looking for input. We need to get this done. I have not touched the blaster or rifle yet.
COLORS ARE PLACEHOLDERS AND WILL BE DESCRIBED MORE ACCURATELY ONCE WE NAIL IT DOWN. ZAM CRL MUST ACCOUNT FOR VARIATIONS OF COLOR GIVEN HOW DIFFICULT IT IS TO FIND CORRECT FABRIC AND THE VARIATIONS BETWEEN PROMO PHOTOS, SCREEN SHOTS, AND THE TOURING SUIT WHICH HAS FADED OVER TIME.
Zam Wesell CRL
- Helmet is silver in color with weathering in the detail lines and symbols to match the reference pictures.
- Binoculars are stripped down parts of old Bushnell 10x25 binoculars.
- Binocular assembly rests atop the helmet and connects to the side ear cups with a silver metal armature that zig-zags along the helmet, matching the reference photos.
- Helmet earcups are silver in color and have tabs for connecting the veil on both sides.
- A purple-brown leather or similar material brim fits snugly around the entire helmet.
- A black ribbed hose covers the back of the helmet underside from earcup to earcup.
- Veil should be made of a soft sueded leather in a purple lavender color.
- Veil has an inside lining of a red satin fabric that does not show when the veil is in the up position. Stitching of the lining should be minimal to reduce stitches on the outside of the veil.
- Veil has gathered seams near the upper corner of both sides of the veil, resulting in a V-shaped crease in the veil.
- Veil attaches to both sides of the helmet, but can be detachable to hang from one side.
- Jumpsuit is lavender/lilac in color and must be within the color range seen in the reference photos.
- Jumpsuit is made of neoprene or lycra with neoprene (or similar spongy material) backing. Lycra or spandex alone without some thickness is not acceptable.
- Jumpsuit has decorative bubbled seams often referred to as “welt seams” or “pintuck seams” running from the shoulder to the wrist on each arm as well as down the outer seam of the pants. The jumpsuit also has decorative saddle seams on the inside of the pants on both front and back.
- Jumpsuit is form fitting, with some room for movement in the elbows and knees.
- Cape is the same material as the veil in both texture and color
- Cape attaches in front to a cape seal
o Cape Seal is silver and has a yin/yang design that matches the reference photos.
o Cape seal should be weathered in the recesses.
- Cape is rounded in the back and gathers to a narrow point to attach under the cape seal.
- Vest is leather or similar material
- Vest color can range from light grey lilac to dark lavender.
- Shoulder bells or flaps should fold up and tie to the top of the vest in between the shoulder and the heck.
- The front of the vest has a zipper closure.
- The sides of the vest are laced together through eyelets or grommets.
- The vest is tucked neatly into the cummerbund.
- The vest is comfortably snug but not too tight or too baggy.
Chest Armor Assembly
- Entire assembly is connected via a system that maintains alignment while allow flexibility between the pieces.
- There are small visible gaps between the different pieces, showing the vest underneath.
- Chest armor is made of plastic, fiberglass or similarly sturdy material.
- The armor curves at the wearer’s shoulders and the curves again at the bust.
- Armor is silver with detailed script in the middle.
- Chest armor has an outer edge covered with leather that is dark purple in color.
o Outer edge is flush with the main chest armor.
- Chest armor is weathered to match various reference photos.
- Chest armor has U-shape in the bottom to fit the hose attachment.
- Hose attachment is oval in shape with cones on each side, roughly a butterfly shape.
- Hose attachment is made of plastic, fiberglass, or similarly sturdy material.
- Hose attachment is silver in color and weathered to match references.
o Hoses attach at one end to the hose attachment and the other end to the vest.
o Hoses are brown or black in color and ribbed. The ribs should be spaced far apart from each other.
o Hoses are long enough to create a half circle before attaching to the vest but should not stick out further than the width of the body.
o Hoses have a coupling on the end of them that attach to the vest.
§ Coupling is black and made of plastic or similar material with ribbing in between 4 evenly spaced tabs.
- Stomach armor is made of leather and is dark purple/brown in color.
- Stomach armor has u-shaped openings in the top and bottom to fit the other pieces.
- Stomach armor has two layers, with the inside/top layer matching the overall shape of the bottom layer.
- Stomach armor tapers down and follows the outer lines of the chest armor as if it was a continuation of the chest armor.
- Crescent moon piece is made of resin or similar material, silver in color with pit-marks on it and sits below the stomach armor in a curved opening.
- Horseshoe piece is made of resin or similar material, silver in color and is roughly the shape of a horseshoe or rainbow.
- Horseshoe piece has horizontal lines from one end to the other with horizontal lines on both sides intersecting
- Horseshoe piece has holes on either end for placement of the Ovary Pieces.
- Ovary pieces are made of resin or similar material.
- Ovary pieces are silver in color with some slight purple tint.
- There are two ovary pieces, both are double sided.
- Ovary pieces are round and have holes that allow them to hang from the Horseshoe piece but pivot.
- Ovary pieces have a raised middle section, with downward curving lines and a ribbed texture around the raised middle section.
Left Arm Piece
- Arm piece is made of resin or similar material.
- Arm piece is silver or gold on the top and bottom with a blue or turquoise color in the middle.
- Arm piece is attached to the left arm and is connected around the arm with two pieces of purple leather lace.
Cummerbund and Accessories
- Cummerbund is made of leather or similar material.
- Cummerbund is lavender in color and roughly matches the other purples used in the suit.
- There are 4 rows, separated by stitching in between the rows.
- The cummerbund is padded.
- It is two separate pieces, laced up and connected by black lace hooks or speed hooks in the back and on the right hip under the holster.
- There is a grommet or eyelet in the middle of the front of the cummerbund used to secure the ovary pieces so that they do not float too far from the body.
- The bottle greeblie is made of resin or similar material.
o It is bronze or gold in color.
o It is roughly the shape of a bottle or rounded flask and it is approximately the height of the cummerbund.
o It ties to the cummerbund with lace in between the holster and the ovary piece.
- Left oval greeblie is made of resin or similar material.
o It silver and yellow or gold and yellow in color.
o It is the shape of an oval, wider than the ovary pieces and not as tall as the cummerbund.
o It is connected to the cummerbund with two purple leather straps.
o It sits between the ovary pieces and the left hip piece.
- The beads are black or very dark blue in color
o They are made of plastic, steel, or other sturdy material.
o Chain is long enough to loop twice, then hang down to the thigh.
- Left hip piece is made of resin or similar material
o It is silver in color with blue highlights.
o It is approximately the height of the cummerbund or a little smaller.
o It is flat on the top and curved on the bottom.
o The left hip piece attaches to the cummerbund with leather lace.
- The holster is made of leather
- It is more brown in color and darker than most of the suit.
- It has a curved shape that matches the reference photos.
- The top folds over the cummerbund and snaps with two black snaps that are diagonally set in.
- The holster has two layers plus five strips of leather on the top layer.
- The skirt is made of leather or leather like material.
- The leather or material is thick and not garment weight.
- The skirt is comprised of approximately 144 to 168 individual squares but can vary depending on the wearer’s height and waist size.
- From the top of the skirt to the bottom of the skirt, the squares increase in width by row, to result in a trapezoid shape when the skirt is laid flat.
- The squares are individually colored and dyed. The square colors are not uniform and vary from brown to lavender. Overall skirt color is lavender brown in appearance.
- The squares are laced together with leather lace.
- Each row of squares is slightly overlapped by the row below it.
- The skirt hangs to approximately the back of the wearer’s knees.
- The top of the skirt is underneath the cummerbund and/or skirt and is not visible.
- Gauntlets are made of fiberglass, plastic, or similar sturdy material.
- Gauntlets are silver in color with appropriate weathering and detailing.
- Gauntlets are overall short, allowing significant space for the elbow to bend.
- They do not have obvious seams, with the closures being hidden, except for hinges on the underside.
- Left gauntlet has a leather cuff on the elbow side of the gauntlet.
o The cuff is sturdy and made of plastic, fiberglass, or similar materials and covered with thin leather or leather like material.
o There is an oval opening on the outer edge of the cuff with a black ribbed material in the opening.
o The color of the cuff is dark purple brown
- Right gauntlet is shorter than the left gauntlet
o Right gauntlet has an edge/trim on the elbow side covered with thin leather.
o Leather is dark purple brown in color.
o The right gauntlet has a greeblie on the bottom side that looks like a caterpillar.
o The leather trim wraps around the caterpillar then goes back to the edge of the gauntlet.
Gloves and Hand Armor
- Gloves are smooth leather or leather like material.
- Gloves are purple or greyish purple in color.
- Gloves are form fitting and tucked into the gauntlets.
- Handplates are made of plastic, resin, fiberglass or other sturdy material.
- Handplates are silver in color.
- Handplates roughly resemble the shape of a hand and the middle “finger” is the longest.
- Thumbplates are made of plastic, resin, fiberglass or other sturdy material.
- Thumbplates are silver in color.
- Thumbplates are oval in shape with a line dissecting a slope on each side.
Universal Key/Leg Knife
- Made of resin or other sturdy material
- Roughly resembles the shape of a very short knife sheath
- It is colored a variety of blues, greens, purples, and browns.
- It attaches to the wearer’s left leg approximately mid-thigh.
- A purple leather strap wraps around the leg to help secure the piece.
- The shin armor is made of plastic, resin, fiberglass, or other sturdy material.
- They are tightly wrapped with thin, smooth leather or leather like material.
- The leather is dark purple in color and darker than most of the suit.
- They are below the knees in height and come to a point in the front. There is a ridge in the front of the shins.
- There are ridges at both the top and bottom of the shin armor.
- The shins flare out towards the ankles and roughly follow the contours of the leg.
- The back of the shins have three evenly vertical spaced black snaps, though these snaps may be entirely cosmetic and non-functional.
- There are small screws on each side of the ankles, to allow connection of the foot armor.
- The foot armor is made of plastic, resin, fiberglass or other sturdy material.
- They are silver in color.
- The curve over the wearer’s shoe, but under the shin armor
- The sides of the foot armor are wavy to match the sole of the shoes.
- The top of the foot armor has approximately 6 small recessed notches.
- The shoes are Prada with a Vibram rubber sole.
- The sole is curvy and organic looking with a cross-hatch pattern on the bottom of the sole, spilling a little bit up into the sides of the sole.
- The shoes are dark brown or black.
- The top of the shoe has two lavender panels, separated by a strip of dark brown or black in the middle.
- The toe armor is made of plastic, resin, fiberglass, or other sturdy material.
- They are silver in color, with appropriate weathering.
- They roughly mirror the shape of the sole of the shoe on the sides and are fairly flat on top.
- They sit over the wearer’s shoes on the big toe, covering approximately one half of the toe of the shoe.
- Each toe armor piece has an inner spike. The spike is ivory in color with a silver base and doesn’t protrude past the end of the shoe.