My first build

DarthKimosabe

New Hunter
Hello everyone, I have finally decided to start my first cosplay build. My choice on costumes was easy, I had to do a Mando set, being a huge fan of the SW universe. I started with a pepakura model, taped it, first gel coat applied (epoxy resin), and now I am about to start the glass on the inside. It may not be the best, but hey, like I said, first cosplay ever. Can always use some pointers. Not new to doing fiberglass so this next step shouldn't be too bad. I am planning on doing some bondo on the outside, followed by Rub N Buff, then primer and paint. I want to be thorough in my detail and I figure the metallic wax finish would be great for under the primer ( for weathering). I hope I'm doing this right, either way, I am having loads of fun so far. Here are some pics of my progress so far.

mando gel 2.jpg

mando gel.jpg

mando models.jpg

mando paper 2.jpg

mando paper.jpg

Well, glass is done on the inside of helmet. I will post pictures in the morning when I have light and it dries. With that, I am off to get some sleep.

Alright, the inside should be cured by this evening, I have a few flaws that need to be patched, but only a couple very small spots. Overall, I think it came out ok. I want to put one more coat of resin over the whole thing, but I am also wondering if I should just move to bondo. Going to look around for some tips on that while this cures. I also built and glassed the left ear cap. Here are a couple pics.

11013042_949063611805361_1643597477783567290_n.jpg

11206065_949063651805357_2794346645751432637_n.jpg

Alright, well it's been a little while, but it's time for an update. I finally have a decent spot to work in now, (I was using whatever small surface I could find to work on), I picked up a drafting table that used to belong to my dad. Having more space has been wonderful. Other than a little modeling on the range finder, I have gotten the first coat of bondo on, (drying now, going to sand tonight). I was wondering if a few coats of bondo will add more rigidity to it, or should I go ahead and add another layer of glass on the inside, I'm worried it will end up too heavy with more glass. Other than that I figure it will be adding filler and sanding until I get it where I need it. Here is a look at my new little station and the helmet before I sand it.

11026785_950119338366455_4593209319526145313_n.jpg

11150374_952497388128650_1536083574551863821_n.jpg

Thanks a bunch, I am having a wonderful time building it. I have a few low spots that need to be beefed up a bit and a lot of little tiny fill-ins. I am going to spray a coat of primer after the next round of patching to make it easier to see. I am also wondering if I should put a layer of mache on the inside for added rigidity, I think another layer of fiberglass would be a little heavy, (or would the primer/filler, rub n buff, paint, and clear coat make it strong enough in the end?) I am going to start modeling my gauntlets and sidearm next, along with cut out some trash can armor plates to start that part of the costume. Once again, thanks for the support, it's nice to know I'm not completely messing it up.

Is this your first build of a helmet and/or pepakura? I thought pepakura would be no problem, but it was much more difficult than I was prepared for it to be. You look like an old pro. Your helmet so far looks really good.

Haha, Thanks Mugatu, that means a lot. This is actually the first costume/prop I've ever attempted (aside from making a wizard's wand). I used to build models with my dad, so I was excited to try my hand at pepakura, and as it turns out I have a knack for it. I have done plenty of fiberglass work at my old job, and have a little experience in the other aspects, but as far as something this small and with so many little curves and edges, it is a first. I wouldn't have even started it without the folks on the forums being so helpful and having so much great info. I can say that this won't be my last build. I have been having so much fun building it. Thanks again for the continued support. I will keep up the progress reports.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back