new guy here

Sucabuca

New Hunter
Hello all! New to the site and to the whole costume thing. I recently was at the Star wars convention and found out from a gentleman that he made his armor. He told me to checkout this site as all of you here are helpful and I would learn a lot. I pretty much want to dive in and start moving towards something, so if anyone has any advice on where to start such as a easy build at first?
I'm looking forward to being a member with all of you!

Welcome! I'm new myself and don't have all the answers, but I wanted to say hello :)

I would recommend deciding what kind of armor you would like to do, then doing a search and reading through threads of other member's threads to get a feel of some of the different processes and finalized look of certain materials. This is something I'm currently doing before fully planning my own build :)

Welcome to TDH!
I dove head first and scratch built a helm with sintra using wof's templates. It isn't 501st but I picked up on a lot of techniques just by doing this.
There are a lot of great people here with wonderful ideas, good luck with the build!

Hello! I am in the same boat as you are. I'm new to TDH as well and looking for tips to make armor. I started off on making armor pieces from foam and started using bondo, but I'm not sure if that's the way to go. I just tested the bondo on a collar piece. There's a Jango in my town that has his armor made completely of foam I believe. If this bondo thing doesn't work out for me then I will just keep the armor made of foam

I appreciate the advice!! I definetly want to do a commando build but it looks crazy complex and I can't find any templates for it. I'm probably going to start with a fett build. Don't know the material to use though... I've seen pvc and that's really cheap but how good i's it for at least armor?

I also looked up sintra today. I was on another site that showed how the armor looked and it looked pretty decent. I'll be using sintra instead of foam :)

-Edit-
it also showed the pros and cons. The pros were that it kept it's shape as opposed to foam but curving is kind of challenging

Fellow noob reporting in! :p Just thought I'd drop into this thread to say "hi" too and am similarly new to the site as a result of C7. After a photo opp with jcfett, I was curious about many of the Fett builds and while doing my research on bucket builds, I stumbled upon TDH. :D I agree with what others have said and think it's a good start that you have an idea of what you want to build. From there I usually start researching the materials that are needed and/or how it fits into the project budget.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back