Official Sintra thread

• Thread starter Migrate from As You Wish
  • Start date
I should have some shots of mine soon done with layering sintra. The best thing to do is make a hollow box the is your base to base your gauntlet top form to. I molded a bracket of sintra around my arm to fit.... then built up on that. I used flexible plastic adhesive... bonds fairly quick. Make sure you sand each piece you build ontop of so that that glue will bond more to the coarse sintra. I used a sander / belt sander to create the shape of the tops of the gauntlets. Sure turned out better then I thought they could. but if you build a solid piece of gauntlet.. remember.. that will only create weight... so keeping the peices hollow... like I mentioned above with creating boxes to build on would be your best bet. Mine are pretty light considering.

Pics to come shortly of my entire suit so far built.

Last edited by a moderator:
6mm? Egads! That's GOT to be difficult to bend! I guess boiling it would work. The thickest that I use is 3mm, and even with a 1000 Watt heat gun it takes some time. I thought about making gauntlets out of 2mm Sintra since it's so easy to work with, but I'm not crazy enough to use anything as thick as 6mm! ;)

What is Sintra

Greetings. I'm a newbie and have been sent here for advice. I am going to make my own Jango Fett costume and I keep reading about Sintra. What in the world is Sintra? I have checked at several hardware stores in town and they've never heard of it. Are there other names for Sintra and if so, what are they? Is it a plastic or what kind of material is it? Also, any suggestions on where I should go to find it? Should I go back to a hardware store or is there another place to look? I have purchased some aluminum to use, but get the impression Sintra will be much easier to work with.

Thank you so much for your help!
Jango Rules

Ok... im having trouble figuring out what exactly Sintra is...
from what ive gathered its PVC Foamboard but i dont exactly understand what that is. How can it be PVC (a hard plastic)and foam (soft)? and is a full set of pre-made Mandalorian Armor made of Sintra worth $90? because thats the cheapest price i have found. Also what might i have seen that is made of Sintra?

You can get unpainted mandalorian armor chest plates for $25. Paint it yourself and save alot of cash. PM me for details.

It's called PVC foam board, I think, because there are little holes inside the plastic to give it some space to be ply-able(sp?). You can see little tiny holes on the sides of it. But don't worry, when you sand and paint it, you can't tell. And I don't think that $90 is worth the price. At my plastics supplier you can get a 4x8' sheet for $24. And that's the 1/8", the stuff that most people use. It's SOOO easy to work with.

I would work with it myself but i dont have the molds or anything

You don't need molds, all you need is a dremel, a stove, and a pot of water. Cut the piece out with the dremel, boil some water, dip the piece in for about 30 secs and form with your hands (may want to wear some gloves though). You can use the mandalorian armor blueprints for patterns.

And if you don't have a dremel, go out and get one <font size="2">NOW. :D

It's an essential tool for any prop or costumer.

Finally!! Now I know what Sintra is. (y) Thanks soooooo much for clearing this up for me. I was beginning to think they didn't sell the stuff in Indiana. :rolleyes
Jango Rulz!!

darthtater2 wrote:You don't need molds, all you need is a dremel, a stove, and a pot of water. Cut the piece out with the dremel, boil some water, dip the piece in for about 30 secs and form with your hands (may want to wear some gloves though). You can use the mandalorian armor blueprints for patterns.

Ya but if i did that im afraid i might mess something up and i already have a dremel its sweet. If some one could or knows someone who could sell me a full set of Mandalorian Armor made of Sintra for less than $90 please PM me.

Well im guessing since its been over a day and nobody has PM'ed me that nobody sells or knows somebody that sells full Mandalorian Armor for less than $90 :(

Well, I did a search and I can't seem to find it. Someone here had bought sintra online and I remember that you could order certain size pieces and have it cut down so you didn't have to pay an arm and a leg (or head) paying for shipping. There was also a minimum $30 cutting fee but the sintra was cheap aside from that. Where was that? Help!

I never heard of sintra before but I looked in the yellow pages under Plastics. I called up one of plastic shops and they said they carried it in just about any color and in 3mil. and 6 mil. It came in 4 by 8 foot sheets and I got one sheet in gray. I hope this helps.

I know that plastics stores carry it, but none in my town do. But thanks! I was actually looking for a specific place that someone had posted and I'm hoping they post it again :)

Edit: Gwizah- I didn't see the cut sheets before there. I tried to order the full sheets and shipping was going to be $90! also, someone had previously told me that those were foam core and not rigid foam board and it wasn't the correct stuff. However, I just called and talked to one of their technical people and it is not foam core. So just for anyone else who needs it, it is the correct stuff and the 2'x4' sheets are $8.14 each.

Well, Im no expert but $8.14 for a 2x4 sheet of sintra sounds like a deal to me. I will order any other stuff I need from these guys from now on.

What is the correct thickness to buy for the armor pieces? and what does the shipping run?

.120 is what I bought. Shipping depends on how many pieces you buy. Not too bad thought, maybe 12 bucks for 3 pieces.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back