Official Sintra thread

• Thread starter Migrate from As You Wish
  • Start date
How much sintra is required to make the armor, any approximations?

Last edited by a moderator:
i bought a 8' x 4' for 25 bucks...and ive made 3 sets and still have enough for about 4 more...

It all depends on your size and your experience cutting Sintra with a Dremel cut-off wheel (tin snips and other cutters cause the Sintra to shatter and break. The Dremel melts/cuts right through it). I was able to cut all 4 of the chest pieces out of one 18" X 18" sheet of 3mm Sintra. Persons larger than myself might require, say, a 24" X 24" sheet, to cut the pieces out of.

The easiest way to approximate is to draw out patterns for every piece of armor that you want to make out of Sintra, add their sizes up, and buy your Sintra accordingly. I believe I can get 2 knee armor pieces out of one sheet of 12" X 12" Sintra. I also cut both of my shoulder bells out of one 12" X 12" sheet. If you cut wisely, it goes a long way. I figured that since I was paying the $30 fee, I'd go ahead and get enough to last me awhile. It was definitely worth it! :D

Are you guys vacuforming the armor or just cuting the sentra and bending it to shape? I have a sheet of it in my garage that I need to use one way or the other. I don't really want to set up for vacuforming for a one time shot. I was thinking about doing my Jango Armor with it, it seams that the edges of his armor looked flat unlike Boba's which are rounded off. Does that sound right?

I've been cutting mine with a fiberglass-reinforced Dremel cut-off wheel, sanding/rounding-off the edges with a Dremel sanding drum, then forming it with a Wagner paint stripper/heat gun and cold water out of the faucet in my kitchen sink. It's incredibly easy to shape, even in the 3mm thickness that I use. 1mm and 2mm is VERY thin. You might be able to vacuform 1mm, but I've never tried it...

When I get a chance, I'll post a pic of one of my shoulder bells that I completed over the weekend. :)

is the fiberglass reinforced cuttin better than the normal cutting discs?

Well,Here we go
I bought A .080 guage 4'x8' for 50 bucks,they were very nice
and cut it into two 4'x4'sheets.I live in the detroit area and
went to AIN plastics.I then used A jig saw for the cuts and
fine tunned with A dremmel.I then used A propane torch to heat
and bend.As far as the corners go I used the dremmel to sand
off the back so the sides of the armor were not as thick as
the middle.It gives A nice illusion that the armor is not that
thick.But if you were to knock on te armor it appears thick
and sturdy.I have bought several sets of vaccume formed and I
have to say I like the do it yourself method much better.And
with putting in the dents and rips in the armor it is great.
My armor is damn close to the M.O.M.

LOBH:

The fiberglass reinforced cut-off wheels are a little more expensive, but they last longer and cut better than regular wheels. I've cut bolts, aluminum sheets, plastics... you name it! :)

So what thickness is best for armor?

Go for 1/8th inch. It is easy to work with & looks to be about right.

You can use either 2mm or 3mm and get away with it. 3mm seems to be a bit closer to 1/8" than 2mm is, but it's harder to bend since it's thicker. Thicker Sintra is also more expensive.

Well, at least it sounds easy! I have seen some incredible jango gauntlets and knee armor made from sintra. How easy is it to shape into some accurate armor? I consider myself to be quite artistic not to toot my own horn but I just don't know if this is going to be as easy as it sounds, having never worked with sintra before what are my chances of making some good looking armor? I see that it is much cheaper than purchasing a set but in the long run might I end up going through a couple of sheets to get it right?
Thanks for the help.........

Is 1/8th inch Sintra good for armor?

I know that sintra is very malleable after being exposed to really hot water or temperatures. Best to go with ABS, but as far as I know, I don't know anyone who produces ABS Fett armor.

Yup... Sintra is the way to go in my opion.. I worked with a few other materials.. and was blown away with how easy Sintra was to work with.. just a little heat and your curvin'. So yah.. if you put to much heat to it... you could run into problems... but just don't ad to much then.. take your time with it.. and you'll be set. Plus its nice and light.. I made my entire gaunlets out of it.. and they are not heavy at all. good luck

well im not makin them but i am ordering a set of sintra armor soon

This is my opinion, but I think if you actually make most of your armor by hand, that is, the parts that are possible to make by hand, you'll feel better about it. There's nothing like sporting something you made yourself. Hey, who made your kneepads? .. I did. My two cents.

Yeah, sintra is awesome. I'm making my armor from it. It is sooooo easy to work with. Boiling water heats is up enough to make it flexible, but it won't warp in a hot car or anything like that. It sands VERY easily, I've done all of my sanding by hand with a piece of sand paper. Paint sticks well to it to. It's like a miracle material.

Can anyone help me with a good technique of layering sintra to form the gauntlets. I bought a 4x4 sheet of 6mm sintra for this as to decrease the amount of layers needed. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back