Dansam ESB Paint UP!

dansam

Hunter
Well its been on the cards for a while so I've decided to take the plunge!, I started painting my FPH2, but disaster struck so this is my eight attempt or seventh can't remember now, but Im finally happy with my colors on the back panels,

I used floquil Concrete dusted with humbrol 103 for the creamy color, then using my craft robo I transferred Richy D's templates into silouttes and made stencils, for the greeny blue I used the recommended green 76 and blue 96 but then changed to cockpit green and blue 96 which gives it a nice color I think!, Once dry a nice rub down to blend them in, now for all the detail, GULP!any way Ill keep you posted hopefully this will go ok ....its quite nerve racking!
IMG_3558.jpgIMG_3557.JPGIMG_3556_2.JPG

Hey Mate a craft robo is a printer but instead of ink it cuts so I use masking film and it cuts the templates, cheating I suppose but you need to modify the original templates and make them into a kind of silhouette shape

IMG_3487.JPG

Hey Mate a craft robo is a printer but instead of ink it cuts so I use masking film and it cuts the templates, cheating I suppose but you need to modify the original templates and make them into a kind of silhouette shape

Ah, I see. Very cool!

Looks like you're cooking now man! That green on the back looks very nice. Wish I had access to the stencil cut thing man....that's awesome!

Thx for the comments and its lucky I mixed a big batch, as Im starting again thats twice today, I cant seem to do what I think looks acceptable theres just something not right and its bugging me so back to the cream!!!!

IMG_3580_2.JPGIMG_3577_2.JPGIMG_3573_2.JPGIMG_3569.JPGIMG_3567_2.JPGIMG_3565_2.JPGIMG_3566.JPGIMG_3570_2.JPG

if you don't mind me asking, what kind of masking material are you using? I have a vinyl plotter and have thought about doing stencils in a similar way

Hey I'm using masking film 8.5 inches wide so about as wide as a4 on a 5 meter role i just cut the length required, then I exract a page from either Rafal or Rich D's excellent templates then using silhouette i trace the image I need and then adjust the size to fit(which is never right!!!) then send to my craft robo and hey presto, Ive just finished my 12th attempt at the back using Rafal's temps this time,

Screen Shot 2015-04-09 at 10.55.33 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-04-09 at 10.56.24 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-04-09 at 10.56.40 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-04-09 at 10.56.51 PM.png

IMG_3585.JPGIMG_3583.JPGIMG_3581.JPG

Brilliant way to acomplish this!!... Masking film! ... Sigh... Wish I had thought of that, probably way cleaner and easier than masking fluid. ... Btw Great job!

Thx MasterEdi , the best thing is its quick, I use to use masking fluid and theres some bits that still will but god damn these back panels I keep messing them up so the masking film is ideal!

ah thanks, I just ordered a 10 yard roll of masking for my plotter. I am cutting test pieces right now out of vinyl, just to see how it all will work. the problem I am running into is deciding what order the color layers should be done :)

are you creating negatives to make stencils at all, or are you just masking?

I had the same problem .....the order I do it in is the cream first, mask off then apply the greeny blue, then stencil the silver, then stencil the reefer grey then finally the base grey then use rubbing compound to blend everything, I use them as stencils the only thing I mask is at the start and thats the cream.

I had the same problem .....the order I do it in is the cream first, mask off then apply the greeny blue, then stencil the silver, then stencil the reefer grey then finally the base grey then use rubbing compound to blend everything, I use them as stencils the only thing I mask is at the start and thats the cream.

This is ingenious! I wish I did that with my Silhouette Cameo. Maybe I will try it when I start on the armor... Great inspiration!

i have a vinyl cutter(looks like the samw onw as you, the sillouette) and have been thinking of doing the same thing but wasnt sure if it would get all the details good. I may try this though at some point..my cutter needs a new blade its gettin dull.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey everyone thx for the comments, Ive been away for a week having a break with the family now back to business, ok so Im onto the silver now, because I'm doing this topically I've thinned the silver humbrol 11 down a lot, you find that the metallic floats to the edges giving it a bit of depth, so I stenciled the large silver area now I am going to do the grey areas then come back to the silver so Im gonna use the polyscale reefer grey, just got to get the stencils arranged and cut!
IMG_3597.jpg IMG_3599.jpgIMG_3600.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back