Boots Boots MOW 2014 Paint-up/weathering as ESB.

Hello TDH,

In my Boba Fett journey i've decided to start with the boots using SpideyFett's excellent tutorial as guide. The boots are MOW 2014 version and the "Toe Spikes" are from Mojo-Fett. Both were very nice to deal with and the quality of their stuff is awesome so i'm very much recommanding them to anyone.

Basically, the boots are all painted and finished so this thread will have an end! In fact, i just need to put together the pictures from the different steps and take the final pictures. I'm using my cellphone as camera and as it's not the best for pictures i'm often struggling to get the colors right, so unfortunately some pictures are a bit off colorwise. Right now i'm waiting for a nice sunny day to take the final pictures and hope to get the pics as close as possible to what the boots are.

First of all the paints used, from the left to the right:
- Black acrylic.
- White acrylic.
- Charcoal Grey acrylic.
- Burnt Umber acrylic.
- Straw acrylic.
- Lilac Purple acrylic.
- Dark Purple acrylic (You can also take a blue and mix it with the lilac purple to be able to vary the purples).
16978662412_6ae4d98fb2_b.jpg

Brushes used. The lowest priced largely did the job.
16792543430_e9bc4d253e_b.jpg

2014 MOW Boots Vanilla version. So bright!
16359895373_6539a111ff_b.jpg

First step:
Overall wash with a mix of Charcoal + White in a 60:40 ratio.
16978972521_fb29be9d61_b.jpg

Second step:
I began with a Wash of pure Charcoal inside the creases, folds, etc ... As SpideyFett recommands, if you have difficulty with blending, don't hesitate to wet the boot with clear water before applying your wash so it can spread evenly.
Then i did a Wash of Charcoal + Black in a 1:2 ratio (or more black if necessary) applied at the same places but by narrowing the surface of application. Don't forget to take the opportunity to also paint the "toe section" with this mix.
To finish i applied a Wash of pure Black but only in the deepest creases.
16792540270_350a65996a_h.jpg

That's it for now. I hope to get the next part of the pictures ready soon!

Ok, i managed to do some more work with the pictures so let's continue right away.

Third step:

a. I weathered certain areas of the boots with a 70:30 mix of Straw + Burnt Umber.
b. Using this same mix i mildly tinted the white bands of the soles too.
16979980935_37f66e9b86_h.jpg

Forth step:
a. With a 30:70 mix of Straw + Burnt Umber i weathered the same areas that during the third step but by narrowing the surface of application.
b. Here again, i used this mix to slightly weather the soles' lateral bands.
16793781899_d3ca314e9b_h.jpg

At this stage it's starting to get some character but there's still some work to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
5th step:
a. Using Washing and Dry brushing i applied enlightenments on most of the edges and exposed surfaces of the boots with a 80:20 mix of Lilac Purple + Black.
Don't forget to also do the U-shaped elastics on the boot's ankle section.
b. Then i painted the four leather bands on the front in Black. Afterwards i applied few washes of Burnt Umber on them for weathering but this is quite optionnal.
16793774339_cbca0bdf00_h.jpg

Sixth step:
With a mix of Dark Purple + Black in a 3:1 ratio, i applied a Wash only in the creases of the junction between the sole and the boot.
16978629192_56e8234475_h.jpg

Tomorrow will be a day-long troop for me so hopefully the rest of the paint-up will follow on Sunday.
- T5H

Thank you guys!

I'm back from my troop and i've some more pictures to share.

Seventh step:
Taking the head of a brush, i dipped it in Charcoal, wiped off the excess and then slightly hit the sides of the sole with it.
16793759709_f67e0132b7_h.jpg

Eighth step:
To make things complete, i weathered the soles too. Basically, i just repeated the same steps done for the lateral bands of the soles.
16979036391_b103cc09b6_b.jpg

Ninth step:
Hard-weathering. With sandpaper, i scuffed the most exposed sections of the boots: front sections, sides, heels, etc... Don't forget to also scuff the leather bands at the front of the shoes.
16792235628_73c4c2c20f_h.jpg

At this point the boots were done and i moved on to the Toe Spikes. Now i just need to select and assemble the pictures from this part of the build.

- T5H

Thanks Matt!

Now onto The Toe Spikes part of the build:

Mojo-Fett "Toe Spikes" Vanilla.
16792228318_faeddd18c2_b.jpg

Tenth step:
a. I sanded the Toe Spikes with a very thin grained sandpaper to give the paint some grip yet keeping a fairly smooth surface.
b. Once sanded i applied several generous washes of Black, let the paint set for few minutes, and then faded off the excess with a dry tissue or slightly moist.
16793741539_c07a173fb6_h.jpg

Eleventh step:
a. Few Burnt Umber washes localized at the tip of the spikes.
b. Discret "rust" wash where the spikes meet the aluminium plate.
c. Sprayed the Toe Spikes with a transparent fixatif to avoid all the paint to wipe off at the first drop of water.

(I shouldn't have kept that first picture. Now that i look at it again it feels a bit too much like a swastika...)
16792479230_7254cf52ae_h.jpg

Twelfth step:
First i glued on the Toe Spikes (i used e6000) and afterward i installed domed head rivets, as that's what they look like to me in ESB.
16359824333_af2a29a1f2_b.jpg

I managed to take the pictures of the final boots today, i only need to delete the blurry ones and make the selection among the others. Hopefully it shouldn't be too long.

- T5H

Thanks Matt!

Now onto The Toe Spikes part of the build:

Twelfth step:
First i glued on the Toe Spikes (i used e6000) and afterward i installed domed head rivets, as that's what they look like to me in ESB.
16359824333_af2a29a1f2_b.jpg

- T5H

T5H,
Im using your process as a reference for doing my boots, great job and thanks for sharing. When you added the head rivets, did you but them or actually drill a hold into the sole of the shoe?

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazing job! These boots look like they are 20 years old! Great job! I'm going to follow this when my MOW arrives (Still waiting for my size to be available).

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back