Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Subscribe
    Apr 9, 2015, 7:44 PM - Re: New member considering Zam Wesell #26

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	691.1 KB 
ID:	86887
    I just got this jacket in the mail. I'm going to have to do pretty much the same thing with this jacket.

Also, I got a nice grommeted leather belt at Ross, I definitely suggest going to outlet stores like that for starting out on basic stuff!
    Last edited by beyora; Apr 9, 2015 at 7:50 PM.
  2. Become a member for 90 days and create 50 posts and you won't see these ads.Register now!
  3. Member Since
    Mar 2015
    Apr 10, 2015, 5:44 AM - Re: New member considering Zam Wesell #27

Thanks thanks thanks for your good ideas. I see clearly now my project (sewing is so boring to me, and begin a new vest is exhausting. Please, don't remember me the bodysuit. Ugh). I think I will work with a jacket. Also, I agree with beyora, my boots come from outlet store and they are perfect!
    Last edited by mirval; Apr 12, 2015 at 8:51 AM.
    Apr 22, 2015, 9:05 PM - Re: New member considering Zam Wesell #28

I've got more stuff!! Rubs for the items coming from JDFett (Really, dude, I'm not a moron, PROMISE! I just forget stuff sometimes!!), belt ready for dying, plastic sheets to create shin guards, Lots, of leathers, and the assorted leather dye, sewing machine needles, etc. Oh, and a Zam figure from the PopCon my kids and I went to this past Friday and Saturday. My son won the kids costume contest, BTW. He was dressed in a custom made-by-mom Luke Skywalker in Black (ROTJ). It was fun!

5. Member Since
    Mar 2015
    Apr 23, 2015, 6:13 AM - Re: New member considering Zam Wesell #29

looks great!
    Apr 23, 2015, 10:42 AM - Re: New member considering Zam Wesell #30

Metallic Lustre is something like Rub n Buf?

What are the Blue and Purple pots in the first picture?
    Apr 23, 2015, 11:41 AM - Re: New member considering Zam Wesell #31

I think that this is one of my favorite costumes to follow progress on. There is just so much involved with the build. This costume will look great when you're done. God speed.
    Apr 23, 2015, 2:29 PM - Re: New member considering Zam Wesell #32

Viva Decor's Inka-Gold. Same type of stuff as the rub n buf, only in glorious COLOR! I also got a yellowish-green one, which I picked up after taking that photo. It looks like electric sparkly pureed peas. Rather ugly, if you think about it, but will do nicely for Zam's little Bits N Bobs.

Thanks, Scott. Today I was working on threading the lacing for the skirt. I like how it looks, but am going to talk to my other half about it before I proceed beyond a few rows. He's really good with leather.
    Apr 23, 2015, 5:28 PM - Re: New member considering Zam Wesell #33

What kind of lacing did you buy? I'm having a hard time finding something good. So far I've spent about $300 on this, and I don't feel like I've made any progress!
    Apr 23, 2015, 7:59 PM - Re: New member considering Zam Wesell #34

Hobby Lobby has 25 yard spools of 1/8" suede lace in purple. If you don't want to do that, Tandy Leather carries 1/8" lacing as well. I'm using Hobby Lobby spools because the colorful spools at the Tandy Store were pseudo-suede.
    And I bought 3 spools in case I screw something up. Yes, I know...75 yards of purple lacing is overkill, but whatever is left over will go toward some steampunk leather items I'll be creating for the Cincinnati's Old West Festival, later this September & October. I gotta make some gaiters & spats and try my hand at making leather bustiers on my sewing machine.
    Apr 24, 2015, 1:29 AM - Re: New member considering Zam Wesell #35

Interesting, didn't know that exists. But hard to get in Germany....

Looking forward to see painting progress!
    Apr 24, 2015, 4:51 AM - Re: New member considering Zam Wesell #36

Is that the same lacing you're using for both the vest and the skirt? I'll have to give the local craft stores a look.
    Apr 24, 2015, 7:42 AM - Re: New member considering Zam Wesell #37

Yes, beyora.
    Apr 24, 2015, 10:35 AM - Re: New member considering Zam Wesell #38

Purple fabric ordered from Jabbadashery. That's some expensive stuff there. Why, oh why did Biggers decide this was a good choice for Zam's undersuit? Seriously?
    Couldn't one of her peons suggested a dancer's unitard or somethng relatively easy to replace if Leanna had ripped it somehow.....

Anyways, since it's coming from the UK to the Armpit of American, southern Indiana, I haven't the faintest idea how long it will take to arrive. I do know this much, if the post office screws this up and delivers to my neighbors two doors down (like they did with some of my other needed items!), they'll be hell to pay!
  15. Member Since
    Mar 2015
    Apr 25, 2015, 5:11 AM - Re: New member considering Zam Wesell #39

I bought the same lacing for skirt and vest (I hope it's enough).
    And, yes, I agree with silvermitt, the fabric for the bodysuit is a terrible idea. There's a lot of thin fabrics, more confortable and cheap, with lycra... Better don't think about it.
    I'm waiting my jabbaorder too. I'm a little bit near, but it seems to be so slow.
    Apr 28, 2015, 10:11 AM - Re: New member considering Zam Wesell #40

Sha-Zam!!!!

Thought I'd share the latest images. You'll notice my skirt has a couple of extra top rectangles at the top? I did that on purpose, my own little science experiment to see if it can give a bit more support when I attach to the belt. If not, it's easy to remove. And it won't be seen under the cummerbund anyways.
    Last edited by silvermitt; Apr 28, 2015 at 10:20 AM.
  17. Member Since
    Mar 2015
    Apr 29, 2015, 6:36 AM - Re: New member considering Zam Wesell #41

Congratulations!
    Good idea, the extra rectangles. And it's so interesting the oranges tones. It looks natural.
    What did you use to paint, airbrush o brush?
    Apr 29, 2015, 10:16 AM - Re: New member considering Zam Wesell #42

If it was at least 2 1/4 in tall, I cut them up. Some were leftover pieces from projects from my husband. All that is pre-dyed leather scraps were bought at Tandy. The pre-dye stuff is hot pink, white, orange, dark brown, and natural. I had a few pieces of a real nice red color, but so few and small I could not find a reasonable use.
  19. Member Since
    Mar 2015
    Apr 29, 2015, 11:55 AM - Re: New member considering Zam Wesell #43

That's good. I have some purple leather, but the bigger piece is white, so I have to dye and paint a lot of squares.
    Apr 29, 2015, 1:35 PM - Re: New member considering Zam Wesell #44

I plan on using an airbrush kit. Harbor Freight has a sale going on compressors and kits, and the stuff I bought (glass & metal-- no plastic) cost me about $110. Hoses, paint kit, compressor, and regulator/water remover. When everything is cut out and ready to be attached to other things (gauntlets and shin guards come to mind), I'm going to airbrush it all to keep it evenly dyed. I know this isn't something everyone can or wants to do, but I'm afraid if I dye as I go, I'll have different dye lot issues. Variances are key with parts of this costume, but some things need to be very close in color.

Annnnndddd... my neoprene is here. Wow, that was fast, folks. I'm changing my mind about Santa Claus, fairies, and dragons. There is no way I should have gotten it this fast, unless they used magic! Guess I need to bust my butt now and get some sewing done too!
    Apr 29, 2015, 2:21 PM - Re: New member considering Zam Wesell #45

I'm realizing more and more how difficult building a Zam is... not only is it hard, but it's expensive! Waiting for my next paycheck to buy more... I'm $300 in and I barely have anything so far!
  22. Member Since
    Mar 2015
    Apr 29, 2015, 4:08 PM - Re: New member considering Zam Wesell #46

Me too, Beyora. I spent a lot of money and I don't have something real in my hands. Everything needs something: dye, cut, paint, sew, modeling... and the list is so long. Fortunately, my husband has the stuff to airbrushing and some pvc to build gauntlets and shin guards (pvc? is correct? my english is...) but the work is so hard. I get depressed some weeks ago looking at the bills, but now I think I should go slow and don´t weaken.
    Apr 29, 2015, 4:52 PM - Re: New member considering Zam Wesell #47

Seriously, don't slam yourself.

I've been fortunate to have gotten the right things to use at great prices. And alot of "found" stuff, aka recycled from junk and broken items, lies around my greenhouse and yard shed. I'm still spending money on items I can't make and don't really think my efforts would pay off (time, money, and resource materials) as I'm unable to spend ALL my time crafting do-dads. For myself, those greeblies, chest armor, and guantlets are where I'm looking at others to buy from.
    May 4, 2015, 9:45 AM - Re: New member considering Zam Wesell #48

I ended up making my vest from scratch. I can dig up the pattern that I based mine one if you want.
    May 4, 2015, 2:43 PM - Re: New member considering Zam Wesell #49

Wow this is a great win so far. Zam is quite involved indeed.
    May 4, 2015, 7:04 PM - Re: New member considering Zam Wesell #50

That would be very much appreciated! (Don't kow if you meant this offer for me or for someone else posting to this thread, but hey! I'd love it!)

You can email me any pattern at md39@evansville.edu. I've got some leather already cut up, and I'm using an old leather coat as an inner lining. But matching it up to your pattern will help insure a good fit.