Voice Synth Problem

Jesuit24

Hunter
I've gotten hold of an iPhone 4 to make use of the Voice Synth app many people are using as a voice changer and it works great in repeat mode, however I get a bad feedback loop whenever I set it to live mode going through my Aker amp. I'm pretty sure it's feedback as it's only a problem through the amp; using headphones instead yields good results but obviously as voice changer, we want other people to hear what we sound like. It makes sense' the mic picks up the sound from the amp speaker and plays it through on an unending loud loop, but as others have used amps in their setup (Deathproof, Jendor), I'm wondering how everyone else does it?

I'm using the Startech Y splitter which has issues with iPhones, but it's not causing this problem as I can use it with headphones no problem. It doesn't matter how far away I place the mic either, I added an extension cable and put the amp on the other side of the room to the mic and it still caused feedback as soon as I spoke. The volume on the Aker isn't the issue either as I get the problem even at low but audible volume.

Halp?

The feedback is most likely caused by having a bad mic jack feed into the Aker system. I had a similar issue on an output from my phone to the AKER mic jack using a simple line level (2 slit male audio line) cord. When I got a proper split cord from the phone which seperated the mic and headphones (headphones had the line level cord go to the aker) went to aker the feedback went away. My setup is a little more complicated because I am using an old HTC Droid DNA phone as my voice changer phone with a streaming voice app I run on it...and I have my normal phone tied in (so I can answer calls). The system I tested works great, especially with the headphones I got. I hope this helps.

Is the Startech the one I had problems with from FutureShop? That gave me quite a bit of feedback as well. I also noticed that you need to turn down the volume on the phone and turn up the volume on the aker. Lastly, I noticed certain presets created more feedback than others for some strange reason. Try using other presets and see if you get the same issue. Just saw your PM, I will send you the files :)

It's Startech, but I got it from Amazon, the same as Jendor. Initially I was using an Android app, so I wasn't having any problems with it. The volume on the app is up high though, should I be turning down the gain too? It may be the male to male cable from the amp to the splitter. Crumdrum, as a matter of interest, what app are you using from your android phone?

It's Startech, but I got it from Amazon, the same as Jendor. Initially I was using an Android app, so I wasn't having any problems with it. The volume on the app is up high though, should I be turning down the gain too? It may be the male to male cable from the amp to the splitter. Crumdrum, as a matter of interest, what app are you using from your android phone?

I am using two apps actually, one called VoiceChanger which is what I use for real time voice control, the other is Sound About Pro version. Both cost like 2$ US each. The Voice Changer has a bunch of nice options for real time voice effects for its price. The Sound About Pro allows you to completely change how various voice/sound options are handled on your phone. So I could have a small blue tooth earpiece that's easy to finger to receive calls, yet hear and speak through the phone headset/external mic. There really are a bunch of options this gives, so I will figure out how I want to proceed when I get my helmet in the next few weeks.

What's the voice changer link (the search is giving me a lot of hits)? I currently have a £10 google play gift card to use up and figure I may as well have a listen.

I turned down the volume in-app to 40-50% and removed the gain completely and this seems to resolve the problem provided I turn the amp as high as it goes. I've noticed that the slightest bump in cables gets picked up by the amp. Not so much deafening feedback, but a distinctly audible thump over the amp; is that something everyone shares or is it an example of my crappy cables?

hey sorry i'm late to the party here haha !!

I discovered by close examination and experimentation Apple in there infinite sneakiness have added in a little trip up for all 3rd parties making TRRS 3.5mm connectors I've discovered the base perpendicular to the actual jack shaft of the TRRS connector on all Apple approved devices is insulated if its not insulated the mic line can short to the chassis/GND on the iPhone which and MIC to GND activates Siri.

what I've done is wrap the base of the jack in a single layer of 0.2mm Kapton tape a suitable alternative would be well cut gift tape (electrical tape cant be cut that accurately and moves) the issues have now gone for me although the y-splitters I've all tried don't seem to survive more than 6/7 troops and yes jesuit any knock will cause pickup seemingly as any momentary drop in connection is amplified by the voice synth app making it sound wayyy worse. I'm not convinced any 3.5mm female jack will be immune to this as they are all more or less constructed in the same manor with floating contact pins that move when the jack is inserted and as both the socket and the jack can be in motion as opposed to just the jack in the phone there just seems more scope for failure. due to this effect if the iPhone decides the disconnect was long enough it can decide to revert to the internal mic which is feedback city (as my phone and amp sit in the same pocket and total game over as i'm sure you've probably experienced yourself.

Soo going forward

I've been evaluating all sorts of alternatives I think I might have cracked the setup but i'll feedback this week once I can confirm below details what I've tried so you can learn from my mistakes:

My first experiment was to buy a Y-Splitter and solder it direct to a 30-pin dock connector in hopes of a better connection the Audio out was immaculate but i just couldn't work out why the audio in didn't work until I tried my next line of attack..

Then i experimented with the 30-pin edition of the Blue Mikey 2.0 (condenser mic with a 3.5mm line in feed to the dock connector) but quickly found apple hobbled this and my audio in dock connector attempt on iPhone 4 (it still works on the iPhone 3 but the voice synth app doesn't haha .. so that route is dead)

Apple killed the analog lines on the 30 pin connector meaning all audio in via the 30-pin must have its own internal self powered A/D converter and make use of the data feed and as the iPhone 4 was replaced with the 5 there seems to be only one on the market the Fostex AR4i that was build that way I've avoided this as for the time being as it just looked too bulky to be troop friendly but could certainly be a worth while experiment if my next avenue of experimentation should fall through

CURRENT SET-UP:

Using a FiiO Dock connector to pump the audio out of the iPhone into my Aker and a Rode Lavalier Mic designed for the iPhone which uses a TRRS 3.5mm jack which will eliminate a connection point getting shot of flakey Y Splitters

IMHO the two troop friendly set-ups are:

iPhone 5+ setup: (UNTESTED)

Mic/Condenser Mic 3.5mm

Blue Mikey Digital: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blue-Microp...41&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=blue+mikey+digital

IPhone 5+

Voice Synth Pro

3.5mm out into Aker/Amp

iPhone 4 Setup: (testing in progress)

FiiO L9 Right angle line out dock cable - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005N6ZAT2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

iPhone 4

Voice Synth Pro

Rode SmartLav+ - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00MWECOLK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
(FYI choose the smartlav+ not the regular smartlav the new + model has a better SNR, better for us helmeted types ^^)

I'll report in my results tomorrow i'll make another evaluation video too !

also ..

I am using two apps actually, one called VoiceChanger which is what I use for real time voice control, the other is Sound About Pro version. Both cost like 2$ US each. The Voice Changer has a bunch of nice options for real time voice effects for its price. The Sound About Pro allows you to completely change how various voice/sound options are handled on your phone. So I could have a small blue tooth earpiece that's easy to finger to receive calls, yet hear and speak through the phone headset/external mic. There really are a bunch of options this gives, so I will figure out how I want to proceed when I get my helmet in the next few weeks.

Does this app work under lockscreen ? as i wasnt aware of any Android ones back when i started that supported that could be a great alternative if it has, modulation, band pass filtering and formant shift/pitchshift

Does this app work under lockscreen ? as i wasnt aware of any Android ones back when i started that supported that could be a great alternative if it has, modulation, band pass filtering and formant shift/pitchshift

No the app does not work under lock screen. However, I set the screen to not lock and turn the display down to the absolute minimum possible. The battery life I get from that change is just fine for use. I am going to look to find an app that I can use to allow an application to run under lockscreen...shouldn't be too hard.

The application doesn't have all the real time changes you are talking about...but for 2$ it gets me pretty dang close.

yes jesuit any knock will cause pickup seemingly as any momentary drop in connection is amplified by the voice synth app making it sound wayyy worse. I'm not convinced any 3.5mm female jack will be immune to this as they are all more or less constructed in the same manor with floating contact pins that move when the jack is inserted and as both the socket and the jack can be in motion as opposed to just the jack in the phone there just seems more scope for failure. due to this effect if the iPhone decides the disconnect was long enough it can decide to revert to the internal mic which is feedback city (as my phone and amp sit in the same pocket and total game over as i'm sure you've probably experienced yourself.

I used the Startech splitter on my Android phone using Robovox. I could twist and beat up that cable all day and it would only make a sound when plugging in or out.

As for your new set-ups, are the new mics essential or can the Aker mic perform too?

the new mic isnt essential but i've found the better quality mic to destroy the aker in terms of vocal depth and helps with feedback too ideally i'd like to use my lavalier condenser but i've yet to acquire a suitable adaptor to try it properly

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back