first boba bucket attempt!!!

Kuma40

New Hunter
Hey there! I just got my first GMH bucket in cold cast. Any pointers for beginning the project?
I was thinking i should sand it down to remove any residue from the mold releasing agent before
i begin any paint. Thoughts?

Thanks!! Should parts of the inside of the helmet be sanded to attach any type of helmet liner or padding? Im not sure what the inside of my helmet is coated with.

Ok. Im needing some info on the visor installation. Ive read some of the threads on the visor and i have some good ideas but after going to numerous hardware stores im a little conflicted as to what type of adhesive to use to mount the screws for the visor.
There was lock tite epoxy, gorilla glue epoxy, and some other kind. Which hold the best?? My helmet is cold cast. Any input would be fantastic!! Thanks!

Sweet! Thanks! Ill give it a try! Also does anyone know about the size if chicago screws to use? I have a very thin and flexible green visor. Its one that i have to cut to shape myself. So thats seems like it may be a pain especially if it cracks. Hmm. The T visors that are for sale online come in 3 sizes but not sure which would fit my GMH bucket. Just in case the one i have cracks when i shape it. Hmmmmm.

Can anyone help me select a good masking fluid? Ive seen alot of different brands but im not sure which are the best ones. Hmmm.

Can anyone help me select a good masking fluid? Ive seen alot of different brands but im not sure which are the best ones. Hmmm.

Humbrol Maskol seems to be the best. I bought mine from horby.com as it can be hard to find in the US.

Thanks for the info! Maybe i can find some online. I was also wondering what type of paint is being used on the helmets and armor? Latex? arcrylic? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the info! Maybe i can find some online. I was also wondering what type of paint is being used on the helmets and armor? Latex? arcrylic? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I used humbrol enamels on mine. I've not seen any posts where someone used acrylics. The only variation I have seen is brush vs. airbrush vs. spray paint can (rattle can). Read through all the items in this sticky and you will have a good foundation on how to paint the helmet. Many, if not all, of the stencils will have paint colors / codes.

Good luck!

Okay. Got the masking fluid, paint list, bucket is sanded and ready for primer. Is there anyway to add pics from my phone??? I would like feedback and input through my first boba attempt. Is there a TDH app?? Lol. That would be sweet!

Ok. Well after sanding the helmet i noticed that that there are fine scratches on most of the surface. The bucket is cold cast aluminum. I used fine and extra fine sandpaper then 0000 steel wool but it still looks like crap to me. Im not sure if i ruined it or not. I also sanded one of the ear pieces and paited the silver primer/ paint on it. It just didnt look right. The paint i used was krylon primer/paint metallic silver. It that the wrong kind? Any input would be helpful. I dont want to ruin my bucket.

Great. Thanks for the tip. Ill post pics soon in hopes for some feedback and input. Thanks to TDH for the vast amount of information and the talented and very skilled members here. Very impressed. Also i heard rumors of a stand alone Boba movie. Any truth to that?

Well im having difficulty cutting my visor to fit right. I used poster board to make a template but it still doesnt seem to fit right. Hmm. Keep working on it.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Well im having difficulty cutting my visor to fit right. I used poster board to make a template but it still doesnt seem to fit right. Hmm. Keep working on it.

I took a piece of paper, laid it on top of the helmet, and did a pencil tracing (drag the side of the pencil lead over the edges) to get the shape for my scratch built helmet. It fit fine the first time for me. What is the fitment issue you are having?

If you look in the pics i used the same method. But im using chicago screws. I epoxyed the posts on the inside of the helmet. But it doesnt seem to be pulling the visor tight to the helmet with the washers im using. Think think. Hmmmm.

Can you get a shot of the inside of the helmet showing how you attached the Chicago screw bases?
That might show any problem areas.

If you look in the pics i used the same method. But im using chicago screws. I epoxyed the posts on the inside of the helmet. But it doesnt seem to be pulling the visor tight to the helmet with the washers im using. Think think. Hmmmm.

Speculation here, but it could be the length of the chicago screws. I noticed there were a lot of options when I got mine. I had to use 3 or 4 rubber washers in some areas. Here's a pic of my install (with the protective film still on the visor):
IMG_20150315_182547-L.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back