Rare earth magnets for armor - advice?

squirk

Well-Known Hunter
I've never used rare earth magnets to attach armor to vests/jumpsuits before, but I am looking to do it now. Any advice/tips on doing so? My plan is to JB Weld a series of magnets to the inside of my Wickedbeard armor and attach through the vest/suit fabric with a second set of magnets.

I know these things are super-strong (yet brittle); is there an idea size in terms of thickness or diameter? They seem to come in very small sizes. Are these things strong enough to prevent the armor pieces from sliding across the fabric and moving out of their original position?

Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Half inch circular ones worked fine for me and are pretty cheap. Placed them on the corners of the armor and it was a snap.

Have you read the 'stickied' thread at the top of the costume section? It's a veritable thesis on the subject. Definitely worth reading.

You probably don't need two sets of magnets. Meaning you can just weld the magnets on to your armor and then use metal washers to attach them. That is what I did and it works great. The armor aint moving. Plus if you use magnets on both sides it can get tricky with the center diamond piece because the magnets there will start pulling on the other ones(being so close together). If that makes sense.

That is a good idea. Two magnets together can be a little too strong. I've broken quite a few when they snapped together a little too hard.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back