Question on painting a coldcast helmet

Duder777

Hunter
I keep going back and forth on how I plan to paint this bucket, and am ready to move forward with this approach. I am thinking about doing a layered paint job with some topical details, but starting with the first layer being the silver of the actual helmet. As you can see below the helmet almost looks like real metal. It is a cold cast animefan premium helmet. I would like to keep this realistic look for the metal layer of the paint job, but if this does not work please let me know. So, one difference I keep thinking of is there is no priming. The helmet surface is very smooth with virtually no flaws except a couple pin holes around the triangles on the brow. So, do I really lose anything by not priming? I would mask off the silver (the actual helmet) and spray the first layer right on. Have there been any issues to doing it this way? I would really appreciate some insight from some of the expert helmet painters out there. Thanks in advance.

Boba%20Fett%20Helmet_zpsqzewj7rh.jpg

Boba%20Fett%20Helmet%202_zpsynfgitzu.jpg

The best way is to mask of your silver then primer then your first color.

Hey, the maker himself! Thanks for the response. I did think about that, but was hesitant because I always sand primer and did not want to scratch the aluminum powder layer. Do you suggest not sanding, or continuing to use steel wool like was used to polish the helmet?

Hey, the maker himself! Thanks for the response. I did think about that, but was hesitant because I always sand primer and did not want to scratch the aluminum powder layer. Do you suggest not sanding, or continuing to use steel wool like was used to polish the helmet?

You can sand the primer if you want but it will likely rub off your masking fluid :( I recommend just hitting it with the primer and then putting on your first color.

arent his helmets awesome? I love them and am gonna grab a Jango eventually from him :)

The maker is correct lol...i just painted one of these fine helmets and thats exactly what i did. I buffed it up, masked off the silver shot one thin layer of primer and then the first color. The only "disadvantage" is having to add the little bits of light base grey is a little more tricky when its not actually the base color. But adding it by hand with a brush later on works pretty well.

arent his helmets awesome? I love them and am gonna grab a Jango eventually from him :)

The maker is correct lol...i just painted one of these fine helmets and thats exactly what i did. I buffed it up, masked off the silver shot one thin layer of primer and then the first color. The only "disadvantage" is having to add the little bits of light base grey is a little more tricky when its not actually the base color. But adding it by hand with a brush later on works pretty well.

That makes sense, and that is what I will do. I kept thinking about that base grey coat also, and I guess it just has to be added later like you said. I am glad you have done this before.:) Thank you both.

Duder, that bucket from Animefan is beautiful. Great reference next to the metal coffee pot. Did that visor come with his kit? It's so dark looking.

Duder, that bucket from Animefan is beautiful. Great reference next to the metal coffee pot. Did that visor come with his kit? It's so dark looking.

It is from t-visor. It is the slim deluxe, and can be found here along with many others. http://www.t-visor.com/

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks guys. I am drawing up my templates per superjedi's tutorial now so I can start playing with the aspect ratio using Raf's templates.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back