Custom Mandalorian Qrandar Ba'al

xSchmitterSx

New Hunter
Last year, i bought a Boba Fett toy helmet, because it was on -70% discount.

I bought it, and started to modify as a summer project ... but i had such a fun that i decided to build a complete custom Mandalorian ... i don't have the shape for a Death Watch'r, or one of the Fett Family. However i'm a very big fan of the Shadow Collective ... as also the Taung legends.

The build will not go fast, i'm not rich ... and i life in Belgium, and this is not like America that you can find everything in few weeks. As also i don't have Paypal/Visa card (due my health situation, i can not get one .. a Belgian law). If i don't find it in Belgium, i ask and look around in Europe and ask if it's possible to pay with IBAN/BIC system.

I try so mach as possible look in the containers of our local recycle park, or in the containers of company's ... for free tools & materials ... damn i should have life on Tatooine, i would have a great time on the junkyards.

Last edited by a moderator:
First build (last summer) ... the bucket.

th_0001.gif

... i bought this in a local shop with -70%.

th_0002.gif

... disassemble, stripping, cutting, sanding. The dent removed and put a left over in.

th_0003.gif

... adjust the front, and made new cheaks to have a meaner look.

th_0004.gif

... made the new cheaks, put them in place, and mold the cheaks.

th_0005.gif

... face reconstruction.

th_0006.gif

... dome reconstruction.

th_0007.gif

... ears reconstruction (later on i decided to remove all electronics, and give them to a friend, who make props with electronics out of throw away toys). And removed the sharp edges of the ears to have a more straight look.

th_0008.gif

... reconstruction of the helmet, with malleable epoxy stick, putty and sanding into shape.

th_0009.gif

... i cut out the skull of Mandalorian Mercs Club, because it have a nice shape. I had first cut out the formal skull but i didn't like the shape. I cut this out PVC Foamboard.

th_0010.gif

... glue on the bucket, and fill up the seams with epoxy stick & filler, and sanded.

th_0011.gif

... scope first i didn't want put one, but than i found a broken Clone Trooper helmet on a jumble sale market, bought it, adjust the scope and made it workng for this bucket.

th_0012.gif

... primer.

Colors, was not a easy choice, i readed that everyone use different styles of colors, But next to Magenta is Black my favorit color. All my clothes i wear are black, everyone around knows i only wear black clothes, the only coloring clothes i have is my X-Wing costume.

th_0013.gif

... painted / varnish matt black

th_0014.gif

... and to put something of effect in, the skull white.

- - - Updated - - -

th_0015.gif

... provisional inner helmet.

th_0016.gif

... the cooling gaps

th_0017.gif

... helmet finito (only make a better innerhelmet).

- - - Updated - - -

Tomorrow (in a few hours it's now 23.52 in Belgium) ... put next prop

Blaster I

th_0019.gif

... found this blaster in the back of shop that was keeping closing sale ... with a large discount, so this became my second project.

th_0020.gif

... stripping.

th_0022.gif

... i didn't want made riffle of it, but a hand gun, colt style. Fill up the butt with epoxy stick. And removed the gaps of the riffle butt.

th_0021.gif

... prepare the rest to adjust, made the light red, a flash/red dot light + nazzle to put on the short barrel so it looks meaner.

th_0023.gif

... i used red spot foil to make the light red.

th_0024.gif

... red

th_0025.gif

... the flashlight was white, put some red foil behind the glass, so everything is red.

th_0026.gif

... time for painting. I have also paint the inside in black but high gloss, so that it gives the red flash more effect. The outside is painted with matt black (same as the helmet).

th_0027.gif

th_0028.gif

... finished, and the red dot/flash can be removed.

th_0029.gif

... the red (in the sky is ours).

th_0030.gif

... products that i used for this build.

th_0031.gif

... and i tested out on a jedi.

And now a third project of this build, i know this will not be approved by Mandalorian Mercs, but i needed this creativity moment for myself ...

" The Dark Machete "
... would be nice to combine two worlds into one, Sci Fi meets Horror, for me yes. Next to Star Wars, i like Jason Voorhees/Friday The 13th, so i made a Dark Machete.

th_0034.gif
th_0035.gif

th_0036.gif
th_0038.gif

... i removed the blade and the electronics, i just needed the grip.

th_0037.gif

... i removed the grip, so i got the blade for pattern of the blade.

th_0039.gif

... cut blades out of PVC foamboard, and glue it togeter to have a nice thickness. The two outer blades where 1cm smaller that the middle one.

th_0040.gif

... mold with Epoxy Stick the blade around the foamboard sanded, layer of putty and sanded smooth. The shape of the blade ain't perfect, i wanted to give the blade a weather look, that's been used in battle, and crushed skulls.

th_0041.gif

... glue the grips on it, and filled the screw holes with Epoxy stick, and sanding

th_0042.gif

I don't want a sword, that's smooth and have electronics ... this beskade comes from ancient times.

- - - Updated - - -

th_0043.gif

... paint in black, cut out Mandalorian scripts of the sword, and painted the scripts in white.

th_0047.gif

... around the grip i put bicycle tape, to give the beskade .

th_0044.gif

... i could keep it black and smooth, and as it's not to take as approval accesoire, i wanted to make this one for myself.

th_0045.gif

th_0046.gif

... the scripts

th_0048.gif

... the products i used for this bild.

very cool, good work even with your limitations on materials etc. a lot of the original design props just used what material they had available, we can too!!

Belgium, is not a easy country to find materials, for people with a hobby like ours ... you need just look a bit longer after everything. I always look around me what i can find/use ... and if i really don't find it in Belgium or Europe, than i will order it outside. And even than i find it difficult to go ask someone with paypal/visa if they want to order it for me.

Nice job, I like how you used the reflective tape to fill the coin slot openings for a different effect. I also like the blade...vibro blades are in the Expanded Universe, so I like it.

th_0049.gif

tapped reflected tape on a piece of hard plastic, and than flip it, and put strong stage tape over it.
i have tested few brands out, the best to me at this moment is from HPX.

i first used white reflecting tape, but for pictures (inside with flash) was this a issue, so i went for red.

Last edited by a moderator:
At different conventions in the Benelux zone, i seen and study the many Mandalorians that walk around ... fourth project was born " a heavy blaster ":

th_0050.gif

... in Flemish part we have a lot of Recycle Shops, that are very cheap ... i bought this Nerf for 5 euro's = 6 dollar (at this moment), it was not complete and it was loose.

th_0051.gif
th_0052.gif
th_0053.gif

... stripping, removing, cutting.

th_0054.gif

... brainstorming, pimping.

th_0055.gif

... build a new butt with PVC foamboard

th_0060.gif

... second brainstorming, how to finishing.

th_0061.gif

... painting time, this is the primer layer ... this blaster ain't perfect smoot, but i'm not into forced weathering, but natural weathering.

th_0062.gif

... accesoires, scope, red dot & flash light.

th_0063.gif

... finished project.

th_0064.gif

... flash light effect in the dark.

th_0065.gif

... products i used for this project (the primer is glue primer).

My next project will be the gauntlets ... but i'm still in design fase for this, and collecting bits & parts.

While i was looking in my cupboards, to see what i have of parts i had a Jar Jar Binks moment ...
0072.gif

th_0066.gif

... wrist rocket lucky didn't explode. By this i remember why i hate resin.

th_0067.gif

... i found a set of these Strobe Red Led's.

th_0068.gif

...so i will go for 3 custom rockets, and in the top of the head i will put those leds.

th_0069.gif

... i always make few designs on paper.

th_0070.gif

... parts for the left gauntlet.

th_0071.gif

... parts for the right gauntlet.

i know what to do the coming weeks.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back