Superjedi's FPH2 for Nemesis

I can never tell with that lower thumb print in any of the reference photos. Does that smudge/fade off to the right or is that just the silver damage that looks white?

As Superjedi said, it is a combination of both white and silver, more exactly the white color was smudged over the silver (in my ESB stencils I omited the lower white smudge, because I thought that this will create more problem in the creation progress):

Boba-Fett-Costume-CIV-Britt-007.jpg

boba-fett-esb-helmet-stencils-white-stain-jpg-58588d1328958882

Last edited by a moderator:
UPDATE: DAY 38

Back on the attack! :) Got home from my trip to San Diego yesterday, so I have a weekend to dedicate
to my favorite Mando!

A little while back, Furious asked me how I do the "fade" under the killstripes. Since this is what I started
with today, I guess this is a good time to post some pics of that process.

This is another one of those unique ESB features. My belief is that when the original helmet was painted,
the tape used to mask off the killstripes pulled up some of the paint around the bottom edge of the dome, revealing
some of the base silver. This appears to have been touched up with some of the base green. However, the touch
up is thinner in some places. It's a little translucent, letting a hint of the silver show through.

I attempt to approximate this tone by mixing a little bit of Polly Scale Concrete with some of my dome weathering
blend, which is a lightened mixture of my dome base color. If you do a lot of paint work, a supply of small mixing
jars comes in really handy. I also keep a stack of paper bowls around for mixing, too.

IMG_2065_zpsahf94ez6.jpg

I mix the two colors until I have something that sort of looks like Concrete, but with a greener cast to it.

IMG_2066_zps13i8xr2t.jpg

I pour the mixture into one of the paper bowls. I don't need a lot of this color, so I mix a pretty small amount.

IMG_2067_zpsuuefpmjd.jpg

I add a couple/few drops of water until the mixture is very thin. Almost like a wash.

IMG_2068_zpscqqyreux.jpg

I use one of my size 5/0 brushes to apply the mixture. When looking at reference pics of the helmet, there
is some structure within the "fade." Little jigs and jags, which points more strongly to paint being pulled
up by tape. I begin by sort of outlining the shapes as best I can, and laying in the parts that I want to be slightly
more opaque. The paint is so thin that I almost can't see it immediately. It kind of "develops" as the water
evaporates. By laying in the more opaque parts first, I can go back and fill in the more translucent parts.

IMG_2069_zps8uwqaoau.jpg

I work my way around, adding the fade below the stripes. There's also a bit just below the left turn signal
on the front of the dome. I also add some within both turn signals. It makes it look like there's a build up
of dust inside them.

IMG_2071_zpspcugh1zi.jpg

There's not quite as much structure below the rear half of the killstripes, but it's still there.

IMG_2072_zpsl40hz6ok.jpg

There's also some of this effect behind the killstripes. It's pretty subtle, and it almost appears that the helmet
was masked for a 15th killstripe that was never added. I kind of like this theory, as the Pre-Pro 3 helmet does
have 15 killstripes on it. :)

As a final note, I also use this thinned down mixture to do a wash on the
Borden connector. Gives it an oxidized appearance.

UPDATE: DAY 39

Whew! Really put this weekend to good use! I'm down to the "little" stages at the end of the project. This update
will show several things I've been working on. First, an overall shot. Always fun!

IMG_2073_zpssrs3q4e4.jpg

The ears and rangefinder are temp installed in these pics.

I finished the left ear about 30 minutes ago. The bottom facet of the ear takes me almost as long to paint
as the rest of the damage on the ear combined!

IMG_2074_zpse8y4n1wl.jpg

If you recall, I mentioned that I use the same base color for the dome/inner cheeks and the left ear. The only
difference is that I airbrush a lightened mixture over the dome/inner cheeks. Notice the contrast?

IMG_2075_zpsmup9tp1q.jpg

The opposite side, showing the RF ear parts. All of the small markings (as well as those on the left ear) are
done using dry transfer lettering. They're very thin and look pretty much painted on. I've used vinyl decals on
other helmets, and they're noticeably thicker.

IMG_2076_zpssvmusibm.jpg

In these shots, you might see that I've also weathered the RF stalk by applying some rust spots and
a rusty looking wash. The wash is applied unevenly, letting some of the base aluminum tone show through.

The RF topper itself is attached using a small machine bolt. I drilled down into the stalk and threaded the hole
using my tap and die set. That topper isn't going anywhere, LOL. I also installed two "dummy" red LEDs.

IMG_2077_zpsjwz1pzwb.jpg

Finally, I completed the Borden connector, too. This was given a wash with the same mixture that I used
on the fade below the killstripes.

IMG_2079_zpsc2nf1tjl.jpg

So what's left to do?? The "grease stains" on the rear of the helmet, some pastel weathering, final clearcoat, and
the tan/rust spatter over the front portions. In the pics above, I haven't installed the lens part on the RF topper yet.
The front face of the black frame will also receive some spatter, so I won't attach it till that's done.

After that I'll install the visor and this FPH2 will be complete! I won't be posting any more updates until the final
set of pics. It's back to work tomorrow, so my hobby time will be more limited, but I'm hoping to be done by Thursday.

So awesome!

You mentioned clearcoat. Do you do a satin coat? I have seen some people say they use a satin finish. Is there a consensus on this?

Hope you don't mind all my questions.

Thanks, guys! Paul. . . it's getting really c l o s e now. :)

Furious, I use Testors dullcoat on my paint ups. I think it's a really durable protective coat, and while
it is flatter than something like Krylon satin clear, I apply the dullcoat in a couple of light passes, so
it's not quite "dead flat."

hello! that good that there are people like you. without fear to give their knowledge. a while back started my project boba fett helmet. had it not been for you and rafalfett never have advanced. you are my heroes! :). Greetings from Argentina

Thanks, guys!

Sepulturero52, I'm very happy that my posts have helped you. That's one of the main reasons I make these threads
when I paint a helmet. I got lots of help from other members when I first joined, so I'm glad to help out others! (y)

A couple of posts above I said I wouldn't post any more updates till the helmet is done, but since I'm here. . . ;)
I got the final weathering stages done on the helmet and ears: pastels and spatter. The ears are now permanently installed
and all that remains is to install the visor. I'll do that tomorrow and have some final pics (fingers crossed) on Thursday!

FINAL UPDATE: DAY 43

My first FPH2 is complete!! :) This helmet was a pleasure to work on. It's an extraordinarily nice cast with
wonderful proportions and detail. Hoping to work on another one before too long.

I really appreciate everyone following along with the build. I enjoy discussion on all things Fett, and hopefully
I was able to help at least one person out as they work on their own projects.

Paul, thanks so much for trusting me with your bucket. I hope you enjoy it for a long time! (y)
Here are some final pics. Let's begin with a a couple of front angles.

IMG_2090_zpsgnfg6qq3.jpg

IMG_2081_zpsdc1qkkdx.jpg

Now for a couple of back angles.

IMG_2084_zps9uskdf9o.jpg

IMG_2087_zpsjdtdntha.jpg

Finally a couple of close ups of the dent and some of the weathering and grease stains on the dome.

IMG_2100_zpsxm5u3u5r.jpg

IMG_2104_zpsxsjob5iw.jpg

The helmet will be on its way very soon to its new home, unless Paul decides to let me keep it! ;)
Kidding. . .don't send a bounty hunter after me!!

For a few more pics, check out CounterFett Creations on Facebook here:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/CounterFett-Creations/1454779188105078?ref=hl

Wow, you sir are meticulous and disciplined. I truly have no words. Your subtle fade on the kill stripes is perfect. Stupid question, are all your acrylics flat? And Nemesis you are one lucky guy!

Looks SA-WEET (y)(y) Your work is top notch, which i'm sure everyone here already knows this! Thanks for updating so frequently with pics, info and tutorials on questions many people here have that want to take on their own helmet or improve their technique. I definitely recommend Eric for anyone looking to have a helmet painted extremely screen accurate. His communication was great and you will not be disappointed! ...Now I just want this in my possession, so Jeremy Bulloch himself can sign it next weekend! :D
Thanks again!

MAN! Beautiful. I can see you will be proud to sport this beast. I couldn't imagine having Bulloch sign this guy unless he signs the inside, but that's just me...Top notch paint up for a top notch lid.

This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back