Superjedi's FPH2 for Nemesis

Superjedi, I know you're not there yet, but if it's like any of the other paint threads of your's I've followed (basically, EVERY SINGLE ONE :) ), then Blue Wisp will make it's way into the lineup! I can't find that color anywhere!
The closest I can find is 04022 "soft blue".

1045046_1.jpg

Are the colors similar?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi RoboTarot,
Yeah, I really like the Blue Wisp! Unfortunately, I think it might have been discontinued. I've looked recently at a couple
of different hobby places like Michael's and Ben Franklin but I haven't found any. The bottle I have is pretty old and it's
beginning to get really thick. Not sure how much longer it will remain usable.

It's hard to judge colors from a picture on a computer screen, but that Soft Blue looks a little too blue. The Blue Wisp is
really just a very pale gray, with just the barest tint of blue.

UPDATE: DAY 4

Making good progress. :) Got the rear panels masked off and airbrushed the blue-green shade. As usual, I used my
Winsor & Newton masking fluid to block out the shapes. I finally had to buy a new bottle of W & N after about 5 years!
My original bottle just got too thick to be very usable.

After unmasking, I pulled up some reference pics and used a small detail brush to tweak the edges between the beige
and blue-green. I do this on all my paint ups. The masking fluid can be coaxed into some pretty intricate small shapes,
but I'm never quite 100% satisfied with all of the shapes. Here are a couple of pics.

IMG_1912_zps182bba2f.jpg

On the left panel (above) there are some small details that I don't even bother masking off when I spray the blue-green.
I just do them topically afterwards during the tweaking stage. That's one advantage of painting in the "Layeropical" method. :)

IMG_1915_zps208a4552.jpg

On both the left and right panels, I go back with some of the blue-green mix and add some patches and shading using a small brush.
As I've mentioned previously, it's the same blue-green mix that I shoot through the airbrush, but when it's applied with a brush, it comes
out denser, and appears slightly darker.

This sets me up to begin doing the gray and silver detailing on the back panels, so that'll be coming up next!

Yes, it's definitely a fantastic helmet!

UPDATE: DAY 5

Got the left rear panel complete. When I detail a section, I break it down into several painting sessions. With the left
panel I began with the silver and then did the gray. Once the painting was done, I used a sharp metal tool to add the
very thin physical scratches. I'll use this technique again on the rear portion of the dome, and several other locations.

IMG_1917_zps41e8dcb0.jpg

I'll begin the right rear panel by stenciling the silver/gray areas. Then I'll begin with the giant silver scrape *sigh* :lol:

Thanks, Paul. :) Glad you're enjoying it so far.

UPDATE 2: DAY 5

Beginning the giant silver scrape on the right rear panel. When I do this, I begin by stenciling on the major shapes.
I include some of the "major" gray chips within the silver and paint them on before the silver. These give me some
landmarks to guide me in doing the whole network of tiny chips and scratches once the silver is down.

IMG_1919_zps2d639fb8.jpg

After I lay in the silver, I'll go back for a second pass with the gray to finish the small chips, as well as
the gray that mostly surrounds the silver.

I need to get my hands on one of these helmets. I was going full ROTJ with an ESB lid but recently I've decided to get a ROTJ lid as well for the sake of accuracy. I also pm'd Fettpride last week but had no answer yet either.
I'll be following this thread, it's going to be a good one. Great job so far and exciting stuff!

UPDATE: DAY 6

Whew! Got one big stage done on the right rear panel. This is the result of several sessions from yesterday afternoon
to this afternoon. All those tiny chips make me cross-eyed! :lol:

It's hard to get a good shot with even lighting since this area curves around the panel, but here are a couple of different angles.

IMG_1921_zpsce71703f.jpg

A bit closer. . .

IMG_1922_zpsf9ebd96e.jpg

You might notice the stencil lines are already in place for the lower right section. I'll begin this tomorrow and then
move on to the upper right section to complete the panel. The pale contrasting gray will be added at the end of the project.

SUPER work man ;)

How do you get the silver to look so even? Ive tried to lay down silver topically to sharpen edge details with a brush and it seems i cant avoid brush strokes or unevenness.

Thanks a lot, guys!
DV, the silver is pretty even, but there are some variations that don't quite come through in the photos.
The Floquil Bright Silver is by far the best silver paint I've ever used. It goes on smooth and levels out really nicely!

UPDATE: DAY 8

Don't have nearly as much time during the week, so it took a couple of afternoons to finish off the right rear panel.
There's just a touch of silver that will be added later along the top edge of the upper right section. The position of
the silver is closely tied in with the detail on the "hat band" so I wait to add it until I do that part of the helmet.

Here are a couple of shots, including the small physical scratches.

IMG_1933_zps40b015c8.jpg

IMG_1937_zpsc64c87ea.jpg

The next stage will be to mask all of this off and lay down the base color on the dome and inner cheeks!

This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back