General: Solving Helmet Hearing/Speaking Issues

crumdum

Active Hunter
Howdie all,

I am currently researching the best way to be technologically connected while trooping and still hear great outside my helmet. I came up with a couple of inexpensive options that would solve some of my problems but I wanted to get input from the community on their success/failures.

The first thought I had was using the below bluetooth device (YE-106 Fashion Mini Wireless Bluetooth Earphone Ear-hook Headset with Mic for Smartphone Tablet PC)

http://www.gearbest.com/headsets/pp_66732.html

Here is an image of the product:

1404755361040-P-1825355.jpg

The cost for the product currently is $6.25 shipping included and it has a four hour battery life (So I bought two for trooping).

I plan to use a voice amp modifier program on one of my old cell phones (The cell phone is an HTC Droid DNA) which will connect to an Aker 1505 both of which will reside in one of my belt pouches. I plan to keep my current cell phone (a Samsumg Galaxy S5) in my other belt pouch connected to the same ear piece. This setup will allow me to receive/talk on the cell phone and talk to people outside my helmet with relative ease in character. One huge advantage to this setup is minimal wires and cost (12.50 for 2 devices with shipping). The other is one earpiece can be connected to both devices at the same time.

Where I am conflicted is how to effectively hear people better with my helmet on. I don't particularly want to drill holes through my beautiful helmet, so I am considering requesting a modified Uproar (http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f31/uproar-helmet-hearing-aid-50004/?highlight=microphone+helmet) or something similar where I could place the two microphones under my armor (I specifically was thinking about placing them under the collar armor near the edge where the overlap occurs due to stud emplacement.

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=69827&d=1363789660

My question is what hearing aids have people utilized WITHOUT drilling holes in their helmets and how did they place them. Does this sound like a good idea for my helmet?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Howdie all,

I am currently researching the best way to be technologically connected while trooping and still hear great outside my helmet. I came up with a couple of inexpensive options that would solve some of my problems but I wanted to get input from the community on their success/failures.

The first thought I had was using the below bluetooth device (YE-106 Fashion Mini Wireless Bluetooth Earphone Ear-hook Headset with Mic for Smartphone Tablet PC)

YE - 106 Fashion Mini Wireless Bluetooth Earphone Ear - hook Headset with Mic for Smartphone Tablet PC-5.85 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com

Here is an image of the product:

1404755361040-P-1825355.jpg

The cost for the product currently is $6.25 shipping included and it has a four hour battery life (So I bought two for trooping).

I plan to use a voice amp modifier program on one of my old cell phones (The cell phone is an HTC Droid DNA) which will connect to an Aker 1505 both of which will reside in one of my belt pouches. I plan to keep my current cell phone (a Samsumg Galaxy S5) in my other belt pouch connected to the same ear piece. This setup will allow me to receive/talk on the cell phone and talk to people outside my helmet with relative ease in character. One huge advantage to this setup is minimal wires and cost (12.50 for 2 devices with shipping). The other is one earpiece can be connected to both devices at the same time.

Where I am conflicted is how to effectively hear people better with my helmet on. I don't particularly want to drill holes through my beautiful helmet, so I am considering requesting a modified Uproar (http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f31/uproar-helmet-hearing-aid-50004/?highlight=microphone+helmet) or something similar where I could place the two microphones under my armor (I specifically was thinking about placing them under the collar armor near the edge where the overlap occurs due to stud emplacement.

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/atta...s-left-collar-attachment-jpg-69827d1363789660

My question is what hearing aids have people utilized WITHOUT drilling holes in their helmets and how did they place them. Does this sound like a good idea for my helmet?

Thanks!

Did you ever solve this? I was thinking of getting this setup:

Error - 1st Imperial Stormtrooper Detachment

just need to find a place to put the microphones but that shouldnt be too hard,.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you ever solve this? I was thinking of getting this setup:

Error - 1st Imperial Stormtrooper Detachment

just need to find a place to put the microphones but that shouldnt be too hard,.

I did solve this little problem. The bluetooth piece was a no go, but what I was able to get for 13$ was this...

http://electronics123.com/shop/product/super-stereo-ear-kit-kit-4953

They do have an assembled version here...its 27$

http://electronics123.com/shop/product/super-stereo-ear-kit-assembled-4954

The advantage of the unassembled version (besides cost) is that you can manually extend out the wire to the microphone pickups. I have mine located under my shoulder bells, one on each side. Works great!

FISD is a great place to shop, there are a ton of cool kits for sale there.

For my Royal Guard bucket I got a kit from FISD that has two small microphones and is powered by a 9v battery. Locally (but again from a Stormtrooper) I got a pair of small fans powered by a USB battery pack that really help with feeling cooler inside the helmet. Eventually I'd like to put together a board to run both off of one battery, just need a transformer to increase the volts and reduce the amps from a second port.

Long term I want to play around with an integrated system. You can get small form factor computers with multiple inputs. I'd love to have one smart box and one or two power sources. Given some engineering I bet you can have it amplify and change your voice, amplify external sound, control fans, play all 5 Boba Fett lines from the original and special editions, integrate with your phone, play music to you or outside, and even act as a Bluetooth radio to talk to handlers.

FISD is a great place to shop, there are a ton of cool kits for sale there.

For my Royal Guard bucket I got a kit from FISD that has two small microphones and is powered by a 9v battery. Locally (but again from a Stormtrooper) I got a pair of small fans powered by a USB battery pack that really help with feeling cooler inside the helmet. Eventually I'd like to put together a board to run both off of one battery, just need a transformer to increase the volts and reduce the amps from a second port.

Long term I want to play around with an integrated system. You can get small form factor computers with multiple inputs. I'd love to have one smart box and one or two power sources. Given some engineering I bet you can have it amplify and change your voice, amplify external sound, control fans, play all 5 Boba Fett lines from the original and special editions, integrate with your phone, play music to you or outside, and even act as a Bluetooth radio to talk to handlers.

I actually have part of that done on an integrated system that I got from Crumdum. I had him put together a custom power option so that I have one of his medium size batteries that powers my chest lights and the same mic and speaker system that he has to hear outside the bucket and then it also powers my helmet fans and servo kit from Jc27. It is extremely useful since I can store it in either my hip pouches or my thigh pockets and just plug in one battery and all of the electronics that are in the suit are powered. Except the gauntlet lights but those are easily accessible to. The only thing I didn't choose to incorporate is powering my Aker with it as well. I didn't because I didn't want to cannibalize it and it's also stored in another pocket from the battery and I didn't want to run even more wires around the suit.

How did you extend the mics for this kit? Would someone with little to no experience be able to do it without a manual?

I'm about to do this project as well. What you would need to do is unsolder the mics from the board and then resolder wiring between the mics and the board. That way they are connected but can be any length you want based on your wiring.

Check out blockaderunnersupply on FB and talk to Matt Nelson he is a super cool guy and I don't think he sells anything over $40 I could be wrong the electronics you're looking for he has..

Hearing assist $40
2 fan setup is $30
And even has blaster electronics setups for only$35
And everything runs on USB batteries! So they're super slim fitting inside your helmet and last a long time give him a look

Sent from my iPhone

Another question: what gauge wire would you use to extend the mic? Still learning, thanks again.
18 gauge would be fine. I suggest getting some JST connectors (or some other poer plug) so you can disconnect the mic cords. This makes assembly of the system when suiting up a lot easier.

Sent via Holonet from Slave I

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back