Nate's (Duder777's) ESB Boba Fett Build Log

Duder777

Hunter
Hello TDH members,
I thought it is about time I started posting some pics before it gets out of hand later. It has been about a year since I joined TDH, and progress has been pretty slow. I must say that lately I have been more motivated to work on this build now that I have moved into my new house, and freed up some time to work on hobbies like this. My work in progress is for a wearable ESB costume that will for the most part be on display. I also commissioned sleepalot recently to do a paint up on all the armor. That thread was started by sleepalot already here. This will help make this build more manageable, plus get a top notch paint job I am excited to see. I plan to weather all the soft parts myself as well as prep and paint the helmet (God help me), the jetpack, sidearm, shin tools and gauntlets. I purchased the EE3 from sidewinder which is very impressive. You can see the pics of that bad boy below. I added a little additional weathering to it as well as made a sling for it. Thanks for taking the time to look, and feedback is welcome from all you experts.

20141214_143107_zps7b885e19.jpg

20141214_143125_zps266ba9e0.jpg

20141214_143057_zps903ec2af.jpg

Here is a pic of pretty much all of my stuff except my armor which is in sleepalot's thread, and my flightsuit which is currently with Arkady being altered. I went from 225 lbs. to 195 lbs. this year so it needed some work. I am just over 6' and now have a 44 inch chest and 34 inch waist so I am getting close to a good Fett size in my opinion. I am going to make a duct tape mannequin once I break the news to my wife that she will need to help. She is not a fan of my "projects", but she is always impressed and brags to her friends once they are done. My last big project is that R2-D2 you can see in the back charging. The whole family loves R2, especially my 6 and 4 year old children.

20141214_142830_zps8b67dcd5.jpg

Everyone who makes the items above has been an absolute pleasure to work with. My helmet is a cold cast fiberglass bucket crafted by animefan with an aluminum stalk, resin pieces and a T visor I got off their website. My flightsuit, flack vest and pouches are all Arkady who does an excellent job. I got a batninja neckseal recently from bcurtis out of the cargo hold that I will be using since I really like the look of it. The armor is all RKD, and I will upgrade to his new ESB gaunts once they are ready. Most of the extra resin pieces there are RKD also. His resin work is excellent for those wondering. The flamethrower is an aluminum one by Combatbaby. The jetpack, ammo belt, gloves, and boots are all MOW. The sidearm and holster are by Stormrider, and are excellent casts. The cape, girth belt, and Wookie braids are by the legendary Woodman. I am very happy with the quality and craftsmanship of all items here.

Here is my MOW ammo belt I weathered and beat the heck out of last night. I think it looks pretty cool.
BobaFettAmmoBeltMOW_zps34ed3309.jpg

The sidearm has been something I have been working on sanding and filling recently as well as the jetpack. I countersuck a hole in the little resin piece the threaded end screws into to hold it all together with the ability to take it apart. It worked out pretty well.
20141214_132402_zps26752c9c.jpg

20141207_101718_zpsb6561973.jpg

20141207_101729_zps1c09866d.jpg

20141207_102902_zpsa8763854.jpg

20141207_103024_zps41c7cb2a.jpg

My garage is a little bit of a mess. Luckily my new house has a lot of garage space so I can basically have a workshop now.

BobaFettJetpackprepMOW_zps271dbf6c.jpg

BobaFettJetpackprep2MOW_zps6ad05631.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking good so far man. Is there a specific length on the EE3 sling? Planning on making one as well after a visit to Tandy leather to get some supplies. What type of fasteners did you use?

Looking good so far man. Is there a specific length on the EE3 sling? Planning on making one as well after a visit to Tandy leather to get some supplies. What type of fasteners did you use?

Thanks syllander! bcurtis is right that the fasteners are the ones that sidewinder installed on the gun. He could probably tell you exactly where he gets them, or may sell them who knows. He was always very responsive and helpful when I emailed him. As for the sling, I looked everywhere for a length reference, and think I saw 35" for the ones that clipped on. I ended up just looking at the reference pics at the knots and how far the sling hung down on Boba's body. I used a 41" long strip that is 3/4" wide. You lose some length with the knots and loop through the "slit". The length from fastener to fastener is now 32". I actually would have had an extra leather piece I could give you, but I cut it in the wrong spot. That is how I realized the slit needs to be pretty far down.

If anyone wants to duplicate it it will only cost you about $10 at Hobby Lobby and 30 minutes of work. I bought a tannish brown suede leather strip in their very small leather section. It was 42' long and 1.5' wide. It was perfect to cut in half to get two long 3/4" strips for a couple of slings. I then stained it with Eco-Flo all in one stain and finish, Acorn Brown color. It was in the same little leather section. I applied it with a sponge brush on each side (really worked it in) and let it dry overnight. Once dry I rubbed a paper towel all over it to get off any excess stain that did not soak in. This process makes it flatter and somewhat shiny taking away the suede look. It kind of looks like weathered leather, perfect! I cut off an inch to make it 41" long. I then beat it up to loosen it by whipping it on my garage floor (just pretend you are Indiana Jones in the Well of the Souls). Once I was happy with the look and looseness I cut a slit 9" down on one side large enough to tightly push a knot through. The knots are both a little tricky to get tight. I had to cut a slight half point on the ends to tie them up right and make them look close to the reference pics. Also know that my knot through the slit in the pic has since been reversed so it is not facing inward anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
That belt is quality! I am currently looking for one right now :)

I noticed MOW does not list them on ebay anymore. I think he goes through cycles of items since the jetpack is gone also, and there was a time last year where he did not list the boots (which are top notch by the way). If you want a really nice leather one Delta13Mike's look amazing in the Cargo Hold.

Hey, an update for February! I am almost embarrassed by my progress. At least sleepalot is doing a great job painting my armor. That progress thread is so exciting to see. I think I am close to stopping any more weathering on my sidearm. Please give some feedback before I clear coat it and seal it forever.;)

Here it was looking like it came right off the assembly line in Cloud City. Shiny and New...
Boba%20Fett%20Sidearm%20Brand%20New_zpsmstknita.jpg

And here are some shots after several washes, sanding away the Krylon Rusty Brown to reveal some of the silver undercoat, topical silver spots, light sprays of a couple different colors, more washes, etc. I am interested in what you think.
Boba%20Fett%20Sidearm%20Weathered_zpsgjkffyte.jpg

Boba%20Fett%20Sidearm%20Weathered%202_zpsgdbnjh6h.jpg

Boba%20Fett%20sidearm%20side_zpsf3wmuli7.jpg

Boba%20Fett%20Sidearm%20back_zpsc3grjqj5.jpg

Boba%20Fett%20Sidearm%20Handle_zpsyl6ufl8y.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back