Transfer Paper

It's called just what you said: transfer paper. You can get it in black or white at most art supply or office supply places.
Michael's, Hobby Lobby, Office Depot, Staples. . . places like that.

Look for "Saral" brand transfer paper. I found it a couple different local art supply stores. Buy a bright coloured roll and a dark colored roll. That way, you can use whichever creates contrast, so it's easier to see. Gray on gray paint is bad, yellow on gray paint is great!

Just another small tip - when you get the paper and start stencilling, use a mechanical pencil e.g. pacer, faber castell etc. This way, you will always get a fine, sharp and consistent outline. While it sounds simple, many use a standard pencil. Not only is the constant sharpening a pain with a standard pencil, if the stencil line is too thick, it can make the difference of the damage looking oversized..

I think the paper I used was called tracedown and jayvee makes a great point about the pencil; if the point ain't sharp the result can be quite messy.

i actually use a ball point pen instead of a pencil for consistent line thickness. I use Mona Lisa/Speedball chacopaper. It wipes off with warm water and is a blue color. It sucks on the grey though as its hard to see, so for that i just rub a white charcoal pencil on the back of the stencil and trace it that way. :)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back